Where do you find accurate 1966 Batmobile dimensions????

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Planejack777

Where do you find accurate 1966 Batmobile dimensions????

Post by Planejack777 »

Well fellow fans, here’s a question for those who are more informed than I am. If you were contemplating the thought of build a larger than commercially available model of the 1966 Batmobile (Original TV metal version), where would you obtain accurate dimensions? If you were to go to the 1966 Batmobile site to look at the “Specifications” listed for the original model built off the 1955 Lincoln Futura, you’d be told that the overall length was 225 inches, with a wheelbase of 126inches. Then, if you were told that the Mattel Hot Wheels 1/18 Batmobile is Accurate due to it being digitally scanned, you’d find wildly conflicting numbers, when compared to the 1966 Batmobile website. I’m not trying to “Slam” or be overly critical of anyone, or any site....I’d just like to be enlightened as to where one would go to get the most accurate dimensions of the outer body of this car. I know that the internal aspect is probably a lot of guess work, so no problem once I get an overall body correct. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Racop

Re: Where do you find accurate 1966 Batmobile dimensions????

Post by Mark Racop »

I'm happy to help. I am the owner of Fiberglass Freaks, and we build licensed 1966 Batmobile replicas. WE restored the #4 Barris-built dragster and I was able to measure just about every single part of the #1.

You are right that there are wildly conflicting measurements. Barris once said (or an interviewer may have misquoted) that the car was 22 feet long! Here are the real measurements of the #1 that I personally took:

The overall length is 226", the wheelbase is 126.5", and the width is 84" at the widest point (which is across the front wheel well flares. The 1:18 model is actually closer to 1:19 in scale.
Planejack777

Post by Planejack777 »

Mark,
I honestly was thinking of calling the phone number on your website to ask you. I saw a video you did, and you seemed nice enough to not hang up on me.....but I decided not to waste your time....how funny you are first to respond! Well, after measuring the the 1:18 model with the data you were kind enough to confirm....that model is more like 1:19.6. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE. if I also might bend your ear....if I were to think about making a chassis.....would a 1965 For Galaxie be the one that would be close to #1.....since it’s impossible to see what they used made in Turin Italy in 1955!
Planejack777

Post by Planejack777 »

Is the cars hood over the engine compartment 45” in width?
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Planejack, you're very kind. The 1966 Galaxie is a good start, but keep in mind that Barris had to stretch the frame about eight inches to get the wheelbase right. The hood width is 49.85"

In what scale are you planning to build?
Planejack777

Post by Planejack777 »

1/6 scale
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Awesome!
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Don't hesitate to email or call: mark.racop@fiberglassfreaks.com or 574-722-3237.
downunderbatfan

Post by downunderbatfan »

Mark, You truly are such a generous man. You always respond and assist.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Happily! As do many other fantastic people on this board. It truly is a blessing that we have found each other and help each other.