Bat Library Completed

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Keith Mayo

Bat Library Completed

Post by Keith Mayo »

Finally have my Bat Library together.
Thanks to all (especially AndyFish) for the guideance in deciding which books and mags to snag.
Attachments
27459361_2103801842979830_1032810775662370583_n.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Blue Meanie

Re: Bat Library Completed

Post by Blue Meanie »

Very nice. Do you have Batman Collected by Chip Kidd? I just picked up a sealed copy on eBay for $20. It is a thing of beauty. It's not just Batman '66, although there's lot of goodies shown from the sixties. A worthwhile purchase.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Also, you might want to add the Batman '66 comics.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Keeping these under glass.
Attachments
26907788_2104544646238883_8475162209964962738_n.jpg
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Blue Meanie wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 pm Very nice. Do you have Batman Collected by Chip Kidd? I just picked up a sealed copy on eBay for $20. It is a thing of beauty. It's not just Batman '66, although there's lot of goodies shown from the sixties. A worthwhile purchase.
No, I don't as my collection is strictly related to the tv show.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Big Daddy K wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:29 pm
Blue Meanie wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 pm Very nice. Do you have Batman Collected by Chip Kidd? I just picked up a sealed copy on eBay for $20. It is a thing of beauty. It's not just Batman '66, although there's lot of goodies shown from the sixties. A worthwhile purchase.
Ok, but the book is 95% 1966 stuff.
Music. BAT! Music.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

John Mack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:35 pm
John, we've discussed this before and I don't mean to sound rude but you and I have different ideas as to what "1966 Batman items" are. To you it apparently means anything Batman related that came out in the 60's. To me it means items that depict the tv characters played by Adam West and Burt Ward. I was around in the 60's and am familiar with all the items available at that time, but they were not what I consider related to the show. Heck, I had most of the stuff folks collect today.Here's what I'm saying:

THe Corgi Batmobiles, Batcopters and Batboats didn't look like what was seen on the tv show/movie.

The Batman and Robin items were like the Infantino New Look comics and not like the show. Different colored Batsuit, different chest emblem and different Utility Belt, ect.

I'm not putting down what most everyone else collects, I'm just saying that to me if it doesn't match what was on the tv show/movie it's not "66 Batman" but rather 1960's Batman. I see those as two differnt things.

I hope I've communicated this properly and haven't ruffled any feathers.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Big Daddy K wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:22 pm
John Mack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:35 pm
John, we've discussed this before and I don't mean to sound rude but you and I have different ideas as to what "1966 Batman items" are. To you it apparently means anything Batman related that came out in the 60's. To me it means items that depict the tv characters played by Adam West and Burt Ward. I was around in the 60's and am familiar with all the items available at that time, but they were not what I consider related to the show. Heck, I had most of the stuff folks collect today.Here's what I'm saying:

THe Corgi Batmobiles, Batcopters and Batboats didn't look like what was seen on the tv show/movie.

The Batman and Robin items were like the Infantino New Look comics and not like the show. Different colored Batsuit, different chest emblem and different Utility Belt, ect.

I'm not putting down what most everyone else collects, I'm just saying that to me if it doesn't match what was on the tv show/movie it's not "66 Batman" but rather 1960's Batman. I see those as two differnt things.

I hope I've communicated this properly and haven't ruffled any feathers.
I certainly respect your opinion as collecting Batman (or most things for that matter) can be a slippery slope, but the Corgi Batmobile is off limits to you? Sure it's not 100% screen accurate, but one can not see it and not think of the Adam West / Burt Ward Batman 1966-1968 TV show.

I do like your collection though.

Cheers.
8-)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I keep thinking of Charlie the Tuna: "People don't want Batman from 1966, People want '66 Batman!" :lol:

I certainly appreciate the distinction between "Batman" (ABC) and Batman (in general) because for me as a kid, it cut the other way: the TV show got a lot "wrong." Bruce was too fair haired, the car didn't look like the one in the comics, the utility belts were all wrong, even little things like the cowl "skirt" and too-low chest emblem could rankle me on a bad day. Gordon, Alfred and Harriet looked nothing like their comic counterparts, and who the heck was O'Hara? Since when did the duo use poles to get to the cave? And on and on. I was a pretty OCD kid. :lol:

As the owners of the character, National/DC were interested in marketing Batman himself, not a TV show, so we did get a disconnect in the merchandising. With precious few exceptions, there wasn't much "screen-accurate" product out there in the 60s, which is why it's a big deal we have that sort of thing now; it took 50 years to get it. For DC, the show wasn't the definitive depiction of Batman, it was just one more form of licensing, like t-shirts, model kits and toys. It just happened to be one of the most off-model licenses allowed.

All that said, you should consider adding to your library Adam's "Back to the Batcave" book and the vintage paperbacks, "Batman vs. The Fearsome Foursome" (with at least two different photo covers I know of) and "Batman vs. The 3 Villains of Doom."

"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Thanks for a well though out and informative comment. Glad to see I'm getting my point of view understood.

I'd like to add "Back To The Batcave" to my Bat Library. Just waiting to find a copy at a reasonable price. I'd prefer to pay less than $30 for an unsigned copy but as of yet haven't found one. The search continues!

Today I added the cover card signed by Joe Giella (who inked Batman #183) to the Bat Library.

Per your comment about it "cutting the other way" for you as a kid, I'm curious about your age. I'm 58 and had just gotten into reading Batman comic books prior to the show's debut.
Attachments
27332319_2106307892729225_2691441190739845170_n.jpg
s-l1600covercard.jpg
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I'm turning 53 soon and missed the show entirely on the first run. Saw the movie on TV around 1974 or so and loved it, but by then I was already well into the comics, with a preference for Neal Adams-style ("The")Batman, but a great fondness for Carmine Infantino's version and, a bit later, Dick Sprang's.

Only later did I learn there was an actual TV show to go with that movie, and it's hard to overstate my excitement at having a local channel air it in syndication on weekday afternoons. As if the school day hadn't felt long enough before! :lol:
"Or worse. Let's go..."
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Just looked up "Back to the Batcave" and my goodness, I had no idea it was fetching such prices now. This book really needs a new printing.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

This is very nice looking! I could spend hours right there.

Since you have DVD's included, have you picked up a copy of "Adam West Naked"?
That's Adam's personal commentary on the episodes.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Not yet but it's on my To Do list.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

SprangFan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:33 pm Just looked up "Back to the Batcave" and my goodness, I had no idea it was fetching such prices now. This book really needs a new printing.
Saint be praised!
I just snagged a copy of "Back To The Batcave" off evilbay for $15.50!
It's not autographed or brand new but that's just fine with me. :-)