Batphones.net

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
vintagematt

Batphones.net

Post by vintagematt »

Hi! The bat-phone, as seen on the 1966 tv series, has been my all time favorite tv prop for all of my life (hence my avatar and name!) and since I am on a budget I have been looking for a cheap prop replica. I have found a site called batphones.net and I am thinking of buying a batphone but there is one problem, I don't know if I can trust the site, but maybe it Is just me who thinks that if you claim to sell to the president, and various government leaders, that it might be a scam? Has anybody bought from the site before? Thanks in advance

-THE BATPHONE!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
AndyFish

Re: Batphones.net

Post by AndyFish »

Pay with a credit card that protects your purchases or use the paypal option. That way if there is anything wrong about your item when it arrives and the seller doesn't respond you're protected.

Doing some detective work;
First, he doesn't claim to have sold one to the president, he says it was gifted.
Second, A search of the domain owner shows it's out of Milford, Ct. and the phone number area code matches that with a 203 preface. The same address is listed on the website so there's no trickery at play here.
Third, they have been registered as a Ct business since 1977.

On the negative side, these aren't licensed and I'd bet Batphone is a TM of Warner Bros and Fox at least and DC Comics at most. So there's that. I doubt anybody would ever go to the trouble of putting on a licensed one of these.

The sounds they offer including a classy sounding "Batfart" don't even come close to the ones on the show, so if that's important to you keep that in mind. You can hear them for yourself on their site.

The phones are interesting but like the Shakespeare bust the novelty would wear off for me unless it served a useful purpose. I guess you could have this dial your cell phone or something so people in your house could reach you.

Given all those facts I wouldn't be afraid to order if you still want one. I place a lot of internet orders and I've never had a problem. But if you're nervous, do the above. Some people feel safer using Postal Money Orders because then it becomes a felony if they violate the contract purchase, but I had a heck of a time getting a refund when a PMO I used many years ago turned out to be a bad deal. You could always see if they'd take one.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Thanks for the info, I guess I didn't think that much before posting! And I am aware of the inaccurate buzzers, but I only intend to use this in my '66 batman display to sit next to my shakesphere bust! Again, Andy, thanks for the info!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
tyldam

Post by tyldam »

Did you order one?
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

No I kind of realized, after finally getting around to rewatching the series on blue ray, I realized how inaccurate these batphone are...but I guess they might be the cheapest out there so...
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Cheap doesn't equal Accurate. Compare the Mattel Cowl with Chuck's.

Tweeterhead vs Bradford Exchange
Hot Toys vs Barbie
and on and on...

The best is to make your own. Start with an old red Bell Telephone, perferably a "courtesy phone" with no dial on it. You'll be surprised how inexpensive these can be (notice I didn't say cheap, because no Bell phone was ever cheap).

Good luck on your quest... did you pick up the FTC 66 Batcave yet?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!