Marx 1966 Batman Figure

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

Marx 1966 Batman Figure

Post by AndyFish »

So this has always been a grail item for me;

First ever produced Batman figure from 1966-- now there is some debate as to whether this was released in the US or just the UK-- but regardless it predates the Captain Action Batman suit and it's a dedicated Batman figure.

So a loose one came up on eBay, which honestly I've never seen before:

Now I know what you're thinking; Why is Batman wearing an old towel on his head? Well I asked that too. Clearly he looks better in the package than out of it. So I was watching the one on eBay-- seller in Italy which listed shipping as $45 to the USA which means at a current high bid of $26 you're still into it for about $75-- well the auction ended early, which I don't like but it happens.

I'm wondering if any of my bat-buddies scored it? If so I'd certainly feel better about it.
And don't ask me why I'd be interested in this and pass on the Bradford Exchange pieces that are clearly better than this. I like the crude charm of it.
Lou Szabo

Re: Marx 1966 Batman Figure

Post by Lou Szabo »

How tall a figure is that. for some reason I recall a 4" or 5" parachuting Batman - is this the same scale?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Thanks so, Andy. Now I have something new to obsess over.
That is pretty cool, and while I do like some of the new stuff, I agree with with you aboot the old school charm of such items.
I hope it went to a good home.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Is it the old school charm or memories of a great childhood. maybe a little of both!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Size is a great question-- I think it's in the 6" range.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Szabol and Batrunner: you both must have missed this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6257
Or you'd have been drooling then. Take a look.
Andy, back when I was doing my Batman Toy and Collectibles Price Guide, this was the number one item people wanted to see pictures of loose and wanted to know all about the pieces and their dimensions. Back then, as now, I have no idea about any of it. Like you, it's never come up for sale as far as I ever saw. This is my first photo I've ever seen other than the photoï on the card.
As for the pieces:
Aside from the figure, cape/cowl combo and scuba tanks, I have no idea what those other pieces could be. The red stuff at the bottom of the card have always baffled me.
As for the cloth cape/cowl combo, that in no way should be frowned upon. The 1965/66 Sears children's costume came with that set up, and from the looks of it, it's what Marx based Batman's costume on, aside from the chest logo not saying "Batman" on it. Now that I think of it, the Tonner Batman figure has a similar look about it. It's the first picture, the other two are of course from the Sears catalog 65/66
Attachments
download (1).jpeg
download (1).jpeg (5.48 KiB) Viewed 12140 times
7e9f162d81b882273823fda849d4d056.jpg
7e9f162d81b882273823fda849d4d056.jpg (76.15 KiB) Viewed 12140 times
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (13.34 KiB) Viewed 12140 times
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Ha! I would never frown on the Marx Batman as much as my wife and kids LAUGHED out loud at it when I showed them the auction over dinner in Chinatown a few days ago.

That Tonner shot is a prototype-- they abandoned the idea and went with a plastic style cowl in the final, but I like the hood too.

I like the Tonner's a lot-- they have a real clumsy charm to them, but they just cross the line into the doll market for me and they're also huge.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I hope you find one some day so you can tell us all what in the heck those other pieces are!? I will keep an eye out for you, because it's way above my pay grade, so I'll live vicariously through you.

Chinatown...yummy. I miss Chinatown. Being from Chicago, that was always a destination at least once or more a month. In 1975, I found mostly unlicensed Batman patches. Remember when the style was to put patches on your jeans, even of they didn't have any holes in them? Well, the set included a Batlogo (50's early 60's) comic book type, Batman running that looked like one of his legs was missing (supposedly behind him right?), Robin standing fists clenched, Joker with cane, Penguin floating with his umbrella open, and for some reason one of Superman breaking a chain.

But, wasn't this a thread about some figure :lol:
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Obviously that figure has much more appeal on the card: the graphics are cool.

Is that a pair of roller skates near his head?!?!

If so, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the red pieces are a pair of snow skies with a matching set of poles (with loops/straps on the handles).

It makes as much sense as skates. Or SCUBA gear, for that matter. Obviously the vendor figured Batman was "some spy character who wears a mask." And a towel. And skates.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:24 pm Aside from the figure, cape/cowl combo and scuba tanks, I have no idea what those other pieces could be. The red stuff at the bottom of the card have always baffled me.
As for the cloth cape/cowl combo, that in no way should be frowned upon. The 1965/66 Sears children's costume came with that set up, and from the looks of it, it's what Marx based Batman's costume on, aside from the chest logo not saying "Batman" on it. Now that I think of it, the Tonner Batman figure has a similar look about it. It's the first picture, the other two are of course from the Sears catalog 65/66
John, the additional pieces are a set of skis and poles on the bottom, possibly binoculars under the cape, and rollerskates (rollerskates?!?! :shock: ) to the left of Batman's head. Not sure what the blue object is in the upper-left corner. It looks like a scuba mask above the tanks. And thanks for posting the Sears costume pic. I had it back in 1970 for Halloween and still recall the adrenaline rush when I first got it and everytime I put it on afterwards.

Yes, a figure like this (granted Marx could have done a better job on the cape and cowl) and so many other items back then, even the '70s patches mentioned, brought the simple pleasures that defined the times.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I always assumed they were skis-- this is the era of Bond.
In Chinatown Boston in the 70s they had a wax museum and the very last exhibit-- you had to look up, was Batman and Robin (Adam and Burt).
I found a bootleg Batman mask at a shop there too.

Just bought one of the Tonner Batman Adam West dolls.
I'll post pics of the actual product when it arrives.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Thanks guys, mystery solved. No problem YO. I used to stare and stare at Sears catalogs for months before my birthday in November and Christmas. I had the costume with cloth cowl and the Ideal helmet shown on that page as well.

Yeah the card of that figure is cool. Marx seemed to be mixing a lot of things popular at the time. The spider webs on the top of the card make me laugh. Almost a Universal Monsters thing going on. There's just so much to like about that figure set for us older 66 collectors. I wonder if Mrs. Fish will allow Andy to get a second mortgage on their stately home to buy one?
Music. BAT! Music.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:17 pm Thanks guys, mystery solved. No problem YO. I used to stare and stare at Sears catalogs for months before my birthday in November and Christmas. I had the costume with cloth cowl and the Ideal helmet shown on that page as well.
John, I used to study and analyze all the catalogues as well and I was born the exact same month. It would seem we're twins! I didn't get the Ideal helmet that you did but mom always liked you best anyway. (I sound like Tommy Smothers. :lol: )
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yellow Oval wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:32 am
John Mack wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:17 pm Thanks guys, mystery solved. No problem YO. I used to stare and stare at Sears catalogs for months before my birthday in November and Christmas. I had the costume with cloth cowl and the Ideal helmet shown on that page as well.
John, I used to study and analyze all the catalogues as well and I was born the exact same month. It would seem we're twins! I didn't get the Ideal helmet that you did but mom always liked you best anyway. (I sound like Tommy Smothers. :lol: )
Yeah, but you got the first issue Corgi with the matte finish. I got the second issue that was shinny. Lol. And now Dick, The Beatles!!
Music. BAT! Music.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:42 pm
Yellow Oval wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:32 am
Yeah, but you got the first issue Corgi with the matte finish. I got the second issue that was shinny. Lol. And now Dick, The Beatles!!
I got the matte finish because mom felt sorry for me as I was left out of so many of the old family home movies. I did manage to get hired on as an extra for a couple but no one knew until now. :P Anyway, they should have just got us a couple of the Marx Batmans when they had the chance.