Marx 1966 Batman Figure

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
John Mack

Re: Marx 1966 Batman Figure

Post by John Mack »

Hind sight is always 20/20.
Music. BAT! Music.
nas690

Post by nas690 »

I am so happy I actually was able to see what a Marx Batman looks like outside of the package (now I just have to see those carnival figures from the forties and my life will finally be complete).
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

I haven't seen the figures my brother and I had in the late 60s in Australia. Probably Christmas 1967, since the TV show premiered here in the June (and the movie in August). The Batman was an early form of action figure, in mainly grey and blue plastic, and probably a Bat insignia sticker on his chest. I think only the shorts and cape were material, the grey shirt was part of the sculpt of the figure. Maybe pre-posed arms that could swivel at the shoulders, and legs only at the hips. About 10" tall, I think. Definitely pre-Mego.

In the same Santa sack (from my grandmother), we also received a smaller Robin, maybe 5" tall, with no movable joints, fairly authentic to the comics but a metallic gold, rubbery cape. Elastic cord either around his neck or a loop on his head.

My brother and I got both figures each and didn't complain that the scale of the two figures was so mismatched. I suspect my grandmother found the Robins at a different time to the Batmen, and that there was probably a matching dangly Batman in the same scale as the Robin, but she'd already bought the 10-inchers.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Have the 40s carnival figures ever been seen? They seem more like an urban legend to me.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 am Have the 40s carnival figures ever been seen? They seem more like an urban legend to me.
I'm with you Andy. I've seen the Superman one but not Bats.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Superman, Lone Ranger, King Kong chalkware all seem a plenty, but no Batman. I'm not doubting there's a version or unlicensed version (were the others even licensed?) but I'm not so sure it's from the 40s.
nas690

Post by nas690 »

I don't know if it actually exists or not. I only really know what wikipedia has on Batman figures. I feel like there are a few unlicensed figures from the forties somewhere though.
Siany_T

Post by Siany_T »

Good morning everyone,

So I work at an Auction House called Aston's Auctioneers and this Marx 1966 Batman has come in, I thought some of you might be interested in having a look so I have attached a photo. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Have a great day everyone :)
Attachments
FB_IMG_1583399845090.jpg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Siany_T wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:21 am Good morning everyone,

So I work at an Auction House called Aston's Auctioneers and this Marx 1966 Batman has come in, I thought some of you might be interested in having a look so I have attached a photo. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Wowsers! That really is pristine looking. I don't know if i've ever seen a photo of one on the card.

Welcome to our message board btw!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Ben Bentley wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:45 am

Wowsers! That really is pristine looking. I don't know if i've ever seen a photo of one on the card.

That's funny Ben. I've ONLY seen it on the card lol. Btw, Andy's first post has a nice photo as well.
Music. BAT! Music.
Siany_T

Post by Siany_T »

Thanks for the welcome :) its in really good condition and complete, I hadn't seen one before and thought it was a really cool item. I have had an inbox message but I cant reply to it - auction is on 24th March to answer your question.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

This new photo is better than the one I posted, but it works against it for me. Now I can see what that turban like thing is on the head of the loose figure that ran in the eBay auction which first led to this post. The cowl and cape are fabric and unfortunately that which you place on the figure.

You never see a carded figure come up, like the Kohner Push Puppet, which I've also got a personal story about, when it does there's usually a huge bidding war. The auction is March 14th so we'll see what happens with this one.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

John Mack wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:05 pm
Ben Bentley wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:45 am

That's funny Ben. I've ONLY seen it on the card lol. Btw, Andy's first post has a nice photo as well.
Haha... I was more than a little jetlagged when I wrote that having just flown from London to Nashville, I should have been a little more articulate. I meant i've never seen a photo of such a pristine example on the card.
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

The scuba gear is obviously to take on you know who...
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Lounge lizard wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:29 pm The scuba gear is obviously to take on you know who...
Now, now. Don't get this thread locked.
Music. BAT! Music.