Catwoman Gets Frisky With Archie

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Dan Greenfield

Catwoman Gets Frisky With Archie

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, Batfolks:

Our third ARCHIE MEETS BATMAN '66 #3 cover reveal at 13th Dimension features Howard Chaykin -- and it's a cheeky cover at that:

https://13thdimension.com/first-look-ho ... -66-cover/

-- Dan
SprangFan

Re: Catwoman Gets Frisky With Archie

Post by SprangFan »

Wow, the idea of Howard Chaykin on Archie is...unsettling.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I could Google this, but I'm sure others would like to know as well. Who is Howard Chaykin and why is it unsettling?
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Chaykin is a super-talented comic artist whose work is influenced by classic illustrator JC Lyendecker and 30s pin-up artist Alberto Vargas. He created Marvel character Dominic Fortune and First Comic's "American Flagg!", among other things.

He also often writes what he draws, and when he does his work tends to have very mature sensibilities with a huge helping of sadism and kinky smut, including "Flagg!" and "Black Kiss". Last year he stirred up a firestorm of controversy with his "Divided States of Hysteria," for reasons I won't get into.

Suffice to say while I appreciate his talents, having "Archie" in his hands is a scary thought, and that image of Catwoman holding our Mr. Andrews from behind can take on a different meaning for the viewer depending on where they know Chaykin from.

On the other hand, given that recent plotlines have already seen Archie murdered, Betty crippled and half of Riverdale turned into flesh-eating zombies, I'm not sure what's left to worry about.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
High C

Post by High C »

SprangFan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:32 am
He also often writes what he draws, and when he does his work tends to have very mature sensibilities with a huge helping of sadism and kinky smut, including "Flagg!" and "Black Kiss". Last year he stirred up a firestorm of controversy with his "Divided States of Hysteria," for reasons I won't get into.

Suffice to say while I appreciate his talents, having "Archie" in his hands is a scary thought, and that image of Catwoman holding our Mr. Andrews from behind can take on a different meaning for the viewer depending on where they know Chaykin from.
Yeah, from what I gathered from Googling his name, it's stuff we really can't discuss on this board. Nor should we.
SprangFan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:32 am
On the other hand, given that recent plotlines have already seen Archie murdered, Betty crippled and half of Riverdale turned into flesh-eating zombies, I'm not sure what's left to worry about.
So true. I actually read Archie comics when I was about 9-12 years old and I can't imagine enjoying the way those comics are written today. But, I guess comics have to do what they have to do to stay 'relevant' and generate 'buzz' in an overcrowded pop-culture landscape.

The ongoing zombie craze leaves me cold, no pun intended. I really don't get it.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

I don't get the Batman/Archie mashup.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Keith Mayo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:57 am I don't get the Batman/Archie mashup.
I agree with you, I don't really understand why they put these characters together, and we must ask why!! The batman '66 run is over, why continue with these crossovers. And you can kind of tell with this one they are now just putting batman with random sixties properties!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"