SNEAK PEEK: Diamond’s ADAM WEST Bust Ready For Release

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Dan Greenfield

SNEAK PEEK: Diamond’s ADAM WEST Bust Ready For Release

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, Batfolks:

Just posted this at 13th Dimension. Check it out if you like:

https://13thdimension.com/sneak-peek-di ... r-release/

Dig it.

-- Dan
Yellow Oval

Re: SNEAK PEEK: Diamond’s ADAM WEST Bust Ready For Release

Post by Yellow Oval »

The Bruce and Dick busts are pretty bad. Bad as in they should go back to be re-sculpted as they don't look like Adam or Burt at all! Alfred is quite good and, well, how can you mess up a Batphone or Shakespeare? Diamond lately is so 'hit and miss' with their products.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

I couldn't agree more. See, the problem here is, they are selling these as portraying specific actors. If it was supposed to be Bruce Wayne etc ok. I think in these cases, the designer and sculptor get too caught up in making a BRUCE WAYNE or DICK GRAYSON bust. They need to make Adam and Burt busts then dress them appropriately. I've always said these designers need to do an Adam West sculpt and when it looks like him, throw a cowl on it.
Btw, Alfred is off too somehow, but ok. Also, my last reply to this subject still stands. If these had been out when I was a kid in say 1974 or 75, I'd had been all over them.
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

The drawing looks like the love child of Sean Connery and John Saxon. I'm not sure the sculpt resembles anyone living or dead. The jawline is bizarre. The fingers are ugly. They didn't even attempt the Wayne family crest, and the arm is in a different position from the art (Once again I'm left to wonder, why pay both an artist and a sculptor if you're not going to let the latter see the former's work?).

I always feel terrible tearing into these because I assume someone must have worked hard on them, but isn't there still such a thing as licensor approvals? How do things keep going this wrong yet the line just keeps going?
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Ha ha. Didn't even see the artwork. :roll:
Like I always say though, in this day in age I expect screen shot perfection. I suppose I need to chill and return to my youth when all things Batman were so groovy in my eyes no matter what they looked like, IE: Ben Cooper Halloween costumes and rubber floppy figures, beloved Mego figures with oven mittens and saggy tights, Ideal helmets, and Corgi Batvehicles only closely resembling anything we saw on screen...the list goes on and on, but when I was young, I loved all those things with all my heart!

To each his own said the woman as she kissed her cow.
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I've always been a hard sell. Even as an 8-year-old I thought the Mego figures were weak, with those capes that frayed, boots that split and chest logos that fell off (sometimes before you could get the figure out of the box). The oven mitts were just a final poke in the eye.

But I got 'em all.

Funny, I just remembered I had a Superman figure break (the elastic band inside snapped), so I switched his head and costume with the Riddler. The one-piece body suit more or less held him together anyway, and if I ever needed a victim to fall off a building and end up with multiple broken bones, Riddler was the guy. :lol:

Anyway, I loved loved loved my tin Japanese Batmobile even though (or because?) it was a screen-inaccurate bright blue and the "bump and go" action meant it went about four inches, then stopped and turned and went four inches in another direction, and so on ad infinitum, so Batman looked like Austin Powers trying to turn around that mini-moke in the corridor.

So your point stands: if you love something enough, you don't care if it's inaccurate.

Ugly, though, is another matter...
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think the Adam West bust is spot on -- for the actor who played him in Return to the Batcave.
Attachments
image0004.jpg