Mego line heading to Target stores

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Keith Mayo

Re: Mego line heading to Target stores

Post by Keith Mayo »

If you hate the way Batman's neck looks, get ahold of the Mego Dr.
Attachments
43518839_2066549693398028_518382370575876096_o.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Yeah, smaller neck, blue removable cowl, blue gloves, blue boots, blue cape, 8", oh wait. I'll go to FTC.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yup and there is going to be a 12" version of the removable mask Batman at FTC soon. Very cool.
The Mego Batman doesn't need just a shorter neck, he needs a bigger head.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

yeah, he has Beetlejuice waiting room head for sure.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

I think it is a great gesture of good will that Dr. Mego is willing to provide a replacement head. The second wave of 14 inch figures seems to improve upon the shortcomings of the first wave and I am confident that the Classic Batman of wave three (which I'm guessing will have blue clothing with the yellow oval bat and improved head) will likewise be a step forward in the evolution of the new Mego.

I like FTC, too, and have collected most of the DC superheroes from the 70s as well as the 1966 line, but stopped short of the new releases. The upcoming line of 12 inch heroes is exciting, but given the price of a new 8 inch FTC vs. a 14 inch Mego and the price of FTC's previous 12 inch figures, I am on the fence. I am probably more enthusiastic by the announcement of FTC figures based upon the Filmation cartoons of the late 60s and will save shelf space for them.

Either way, isn't it great to be able to have a choice?
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

Don’t get all the Mego bashing yet FTC praising. FTC have been selling us figures with the absolute worst bodies ever produced...especially the female bodies, you can’t even pose them let alone play with them. The cost of 30 bucks a pop for broken junk bodies compared to 20 a pop for a 14” Mego is outrageous. FTC also has been selling figures with oversized heads. They are far FAR from perfect. Mego is at least trying to fix things, FTC has heard all our complaints for years and not even a response let alone an attemp to fix things. With them it’s just we’ll keep taking your money but do nothing to fix the issues you are having. They make a very good selection of toys, I own most of their 1966 stuff, and plan to buy the 12” original Mego versions as well as the Batman 68 Filmation, but I’m enjoying the new Mego 14” line, and they are very nice figures for the price. I can’t wait to buy 14” Mego classic Batman and Joker. I’m hoping Classic versions of Robin, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman are in the works.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

now 25 percent off at Target till 10/20? I think. Not sure if these markdowns are a good sign.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
TysonL

Post by TysonL »

TBolt wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:15 pm now 25 percent off at Target till 10/20? I think. Not sure if these markdowns are a good sign.
Thanks for the info. I got Poison Ivy for the sale price plus free shipping and a red card discount. Not sure if the line is doomed thought since they seem to have pulled the set up from the stores and everything is listed as on line only now.
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

Maybe Mego can continue to sell these without Targets backing? I also don’t see why they can’t just be sold on Target.com. Obviously Mego knew going in the interest would be limited. I’m hoping it can go for awhile.
LizardKing

Post by LizardKing »

FTC and Mego both are not worth buying IMO. Funko had the best figures but they bailed too fast.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The Megos haven't disappeared from the stores, just the end caps. That's pretty normal going for a new toy line and speaks well of their marketing that they were able to get end caps in the first place.
Mego was easily my favorite toy line as a kid, but if it were THIS output of Mego I would have likely gotten Frankenstein and Dracula and called it a day. I'd love to see a kid begging for Alice from The Brady Bunch.

I don't bash either company-- FTC puts out some great re-do's of the original line and I'm glad to see the "real" Mego back too. That Major Nelson from Jeannie looks enough like Darren McGavin to make a Kolchak the Night Stalker figure out of him. But 90% of the line is an easy pass for me on both sides.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Drove out of town to Target. Shelves were full of Mego but only one Funko Batman collectors Box.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

rickkrefft wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 am FTC have been selling us figures with the absolute worst bodies ever produced...especially the female bodies, you can’t even pose them let alone play with them.
I am an opener and haven't had too many problems posing my FTC figures. (Some of the generic bodies bought through Classic TV Toys have been more problematic.)

Considering that a huge number of figure collectors keep them mint on card, posability is not everyone's biggest concern. The costumes on the "Batman '66" line have generally been extraordinary. When we bought DC Megos in the 70s, my brothers and I wanted them to look like FTC figures!
FTC also has been selling figures with oversized heads.
A few FTC lines have had oversized heads - Bizarro Superman and the Harry Potter line were the worst, but I would have only bought them for customising fodder. I collected Nightwing anyway, but trimming his giant collar was my priority with him.

Oh, and the new Megos are exclusive to Target USA, so no good for the rest of the world. I am happy to cherrypick from eBay when necessary.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

LizardKing wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:45 am FTC and Mego both are not worth buying IMO. Funko had the best figures but they bailed too fast.
If you are into overpriced Happy Meal toys. Mego is a great line and FTC could be if they'd address issues. Mego is producing what Target wants and that is not selling. Target will either recognize this or blame the format.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »