Dig This UP-CLOSE LOOK at the Original 1966 PENGUIN SUB

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Dan Greenfield

Dig This UP-CLOSE LOOK at the Original 1966 PENGUIN SUB

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, Batfolks:

Our latest look at the so-called "Alfred Collection" of original costumes and props features THE PENGUIN SUB -- and it's up now at 13th Dimension:

https://13thdimension.com/dig-this-up-c ... nguin-sub/

It's an outstanding piece of Bat-history, so check it out!

-- Dan
Aussie Batfan

Re: Dig This UP-CLOSE LOOK at the Original 1966 PENGUIN SUB

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Thanks Dan - wonderful to finally see the prop up close.
Just had a thought. Would 'Alfred' ever consider hosting a one-off event for BatBoard members to gather and see his collection as a group?
It just occurred to me that with Adam's passing, it would be terrific to have an event for members to look forward to. One that could be planned a few months in advance to allow time for travel arrangements, etc.
And a chance for many of us to finally meet one another.
Anyway - as I said - just an idea.
Take care,
Terry from Australia
Batboater

Post by Batboater »

Hmmm,
I wonder where this was acquired ?
Awesome!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

that is really groovy!
I love how the panels are painted on.
may I ask if the Bat computer in the background is screen used or a repro?
Super cool either way. It must be like Wonka's Factory in there.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

That sub prop is wonderful!

For a moment, I thought the “three cardboard standees” in the background were the actual props from “The Entrancing Dr Cassandra”, which once hung in Dozier’s office until the auction. But nah, the poses are different.

"Lot 1159. Trio of screen-used life-size 'Batman', 'Robin' and 'Batgirl' static characters from Batman. (TCF TV, 1966-1968) In Batman Episode #119, Ida Lupino plays Dr. Cassandra Spellcraft, 'world famous alchemist, occult science practitioner, and all-around evil-doing swinger'. In the episode, entitled 'The Entrancing Dr. Cassandra', with the aid of her 'Alvino-ray gun', the super-villain reduces the trio of caped crusaders to 2-dimensional versions of themselves. Cassandra’s accomplice Cabala then slips these flattened versions of our heroes under Commissioner Gordon’s office door. These are the actual screen-used 'flattened characters' from that memorable episode. The (3) standee cutout props consist of color photographic fronts and studio-painted versos sandwiching a 1 in. rigid foam core. Props include: (1) 'Batman' (Adam West): 71.5 x 26.5 x 1 in., (1) 'Robin' (Burt Ward): 65 x 28 x 1 in. and (1) 'Batgirl' (Yvonne Craig): 62 x 29.5 x 1 in. All in action poses. These props occupied a place of pride in producer William Dozier’s office until the day he died (1999). All exhibit wear, with some professional restoration to extremities. In very good, vintage, production-used condition."
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/30 ... -robin-and

They were estimated to go for $US8,000 - $12,000. I hear they sold for 16K.

Terrific Trio by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
artbat123

Post by artbat123 »

I happen to see the original sub used in the movie at Planet Hollywood in New York back in the 90's. But the only thing about it was that the sub had paint wear and it didn't look like the one from 13thdimension 's website. I'm not sure who owns the original now.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

The Penguin sub sold a couple months ago in a Profiles in History auction. I think it went around $7-8k
FLOYDLEWIS

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

this is great!!!!!!!!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

So great to see this up close after all these years and countless viewings of the feature flick!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Thanks for posting the sub pics, Dan. I saw it up close when it used to be displayed at Marineland (California) in the early/mid 1970s, along with the largest miniature of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea's Flying Sub. Great times for a kid to see an actual prop from the Batman production.
Beneath Wayne Manor