THE JOKER Looms Large on Final ARCHIE/BATMAN '66 #5 Cover

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Dan Greenfield

THE JOKER Looms Large on Final ARCHIE/BATMAN '66 #5 Cover

Post by Dan Greenfield »

Hey, Batfolks:

The final ARCHIE MEETS BATMAN '66 #5 cover reveal is here -- and it's a kick.

Check out Cory Smith's Jokerrific piece at 13th Dimension, if you're so inclined:

https://13thdimension.com/first-look-co ... 6-5-cover/

Far out!

-- Dan
Yellow Oval

Re: THE JOKER Looms Large on Final ARCHIE/BATMAN '66 #5 Cover

Post by Yellow Oval »

All these covers only reaffirm to me how glad I am that I gave up on DC and their now god-awful products called '"comic books". :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

And I'm not even sure what the point of these stories are. I understand meeting the Scooby Doo gang as they solve crime mysteries. But can anyone tell us why Batman got involved with these characters?
Music. BAT! Music.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

John Mack wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:15 pm And I'm not even sure what the point of these stories are. I understand meeting the Scooby Doo gang as they solve crime mysteries. But can anyone tell us why Batman got involved with these characters?
Sure. DiDio, Lee, and Johns are desperate as Diamond's sales figures continue to show DC Comics losing increasing market share under their "leadership". Their strategy is to throw you-know-what at the wall and see what sticks. Unfortunately, these geniuses can't even see that there is not even a wall (significant customer base) there anymore to throw at. :roll: But, they can play all the games they want, for as long as the superhero movie trend is viable Warners will tolerate their shenanigans for the rights. When the trend fizzles - as all do - than Sugar Daddy's money for DC will cease and so will the unprofitable comics, although I believe Warners will still continue to merchandise through the rights.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I think he meant what's the "in universe" explanation.

I agree it seems a stretch for Batman to travel to sleepy Riverdale just to hang out at Pop's Chocklit Shop or watch Moose play football.

But then there are so many versions of Riverdale, now: one where Archie can be shot to death in a shopping mall, one where extra-legal drag races leave Betty crippled, one where zombies run rampant, and the TV version which revolves (apparently) around murder and intrigue. So maybe one of those would attract the attention of a big-city crimefighter. Considering all I'm ever likely to see is these covers, though, it'll have to remain a mystery for me.

Even with Scooby Doo, it's hard to imagine why the Dynamic Duo would care that a guy in a vampire mask is trying to ruin ticket sales at a local amusement park.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

"Even with Scooby Doo, it's hard to imagine why the Dynamic Duo would care that a guy in a vampire mask is trying to ruin ticket sales at a local amusement park."

Wasn't Penguin and Joker involved? It's been years.
Music. BAT! Music.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

SprangFan wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:33 am I think he meant what's the "in universe" explanation.

I agree it seems a stretch for Batman to travel to sleepy Riverdale just to hang out at Pop's Chocklit Shop or watch Moose play football.
Yeah, but so many of the '66-based comics were treated as light and/or silly (IOW, not played like season one), so pairing him off with certain TV characters or Archie makes this kind of crossover the order of the day.

I would not be surprised if they have '66 Batman end up crossing over with...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjKnRV4Dgag
Beneath Wayne Manor
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Wasn't Penguin and Joker involved? It's been years.
Ha! I'd forgotten they actually were on the cartoon! I just picked that as a standard Scooby scenario. Was the Batman ep really about that? Funny.

I don't think I've seen that Batman/Scooby crossover since it first aired (and I was in grade school), but I remember how excited I was. I was expecting maybe Sonny and Cher. LOL
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."