When Worlds Collide! (Funko)

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
TP-6597

When Worlds Collide! (Funko)

Post by TP-6597 »

Well, when they collide for me anyway. Sitting a few feet away from me on my desk here at work are a Batmobile and a Battle Cat (He-Man). I'm a huge fan of both franchises. In fact, other than a Bandit Trans Am, the only toys I have are from either Batman or He-Man.

Funko just released this set of DC characters in the style of Masters Of The Universe. They're calling it DC Primal Age. From our corner of the universe, it's just Batman, Ace, The Joker, Mr. Freeze, and a big Batcave in the style of Castle Grayskull. I'll definitely be getting Batman and Ace. Ace The Bathound is my screen name on a comic book forum.

These are available on Amazon pre-order now. https://www.funko.com/blog/article/dc-primal-age

“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Therin of Andor

Re: When Worlds Collide! (Funko)

Post by Therin of Andor »

That's a fun mashup concept, but surely a "Batman '66" Wave 2 would sell just as well?
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Therin of Andor wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:06 pm That's a fun mashup concept, but surely a "Batman '66" Wave 2 would sell just as well?
Wave 2 would sell better in my opinion.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

This really just makes me mad, funko is willing to risk it with a concept this strange, but thinks it won't be profitable for a wave 2...really!!!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

well it will have crossover appeal well outside the narrow focus of this forum. The Heman format is big right now with slasher movie figures in the format too, along with Thundercats, Conan and lots of other stuff. So its not so strange and not such a risk for them. Brilliant casting of Ace as Battlecat.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

TBolt wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm So its not so strange and not such a risk for them. Brilliant casting of Ace as Battlecat.
I don't think Joker, Penguin and Riddler as a three-pack Wave 2 would be any kind of risk, either. ;)
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
seanrt

Post by seanrt »

They look horrible and don't capture what I love about the world of Batman. Also Funko is still rolling out waves of Stranger Things figures. I've tried multiple times and just don't understand what people see in that show.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Therin of Andor wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:45 pm
TBolt wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:24 pm So its not so strange and not such a risk for them. Brilliant casting of Ace as Battlecat.
I don't think Joker, Penguin and Riddler as a three-pack Wave 2 would be any kind of risk, either. ;)
Funko must see it as a risk or it would have been done.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
seanrt

Post by seanrt »

The fact they gave the line a playset is even more of a gut punch
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think its a really fun mashup— captures the spirit of He-Man right on.
The best cosplay I saw at NYCC was a Dad on all fours as Battle Cat and his what looked like maybe 2 year old son on his back as He-Man. There’s a picture of it on the Super7 Instagram, I didn’t take a picture.

I like anything that adds imagination to the character. We all have to get over the lack of Wave 2– the figures didn’t sell, plain and simple, and no company is in business for charity. Same deal with the Batman ‘66 comic— sales were lackluster so they cancelled it. If either had been a hit it would have kept on going.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 am I think its a really fun mashup— captures the spirit of He-Man right on.
The best cosplay I saw at NYCC was a Dad on all fours as Battle Cat and his what looked like maybe 2 year old son on his back as He-Man. There’s a picture of it on the Super7 Instagram, I didn’t take a picture.

I like anything that adds imagination to the character. We all have to get over the lack of Wave 2– the figures didn’t sell, plain and simple, and no company is in business for charity. Same deal with the Batman ‘66 comic— sales were lackluster so they cancelled it. If either had been a hit it would have kept on going.
But the Mego format from FTC did well, better than any other line I'd say based on how deep it went.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Agreed but FTC started with the bigger characters and didn’t put Batman in a fat suit.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

The chest emblem on the Funko reminds me of the Captain Action Batman uniform emblem with the gold foil oval look--

I cannot recall any other Bat-figures with the gold oval, since the standard color (as we all know) has always been yellow.
Beneath Wayne Manor