Wish I Could Afford This

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Keith Mayo

Wish I Could Afford This

Post by Keith Mayo »

"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
hisyouthfulward

Re: Wish I Could Afford This

Post by hisyouthfulward »

Can I be honest? I've got one of these and given the size of the actual figures...$400 is a bit steep. Granted, it was one of the first steps towards the slew of merchandise directly connected to the show that we now have. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I picked one up but I don't think it's worth that much. I'd rather spend my money on other show related merchandise.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I had 2 sets that I sold this summer. these are fragile so get it insured. They sometimes go for under $100 for the pair.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yeah I'm with Lou-- keep looking. I've seen them sell for much less. I think full retail was $150 on them when they came out.
hisyouthfulward

Post by hisyouthfulward »

Yep, that's what I laid down for my set.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I considered them at the time and decided they didn't look enough like the title animation to justify the expense. Without the logo bases, I'm not sure anyone would make the connection.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

SprangFan wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:26 pm I considered them at the time and decided they didn't look enough like the title animation to justify the expense. Without the logo bases, I'm not sure anyone would make the connection.
Agreed.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

SprangFan wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:26 pm I considered them at the time and decided they didn't look enough like the title animation to justify the expense. Without the logo bases, I'm not sure anyone would make the connection.
I was on the fence with them when they came out-- I'm with Sprang-- they're nice but they aren't on model.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

AndyFish wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:32 pm
I was on the fence with them when they came out-- I'm with Sprang-- they're nice but they aren't on model.
Yep, not the correct coloring and the sculpts are pretty generic in nature. Heck, Batman''s chest logo isn't even correct. They didn't even try.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

For those of you playing along at home, here's the set Keith first posted about.
zBATMAN TV OPENING SET.jpg
And here's the opening shot its based on...
BAT 66.jpg
BAT 66.jpg (88.58 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
I'd say it's pretty close. The colors are not saturated enough but the emblem is right and I like that they made the decision to flip Batman's eyes so that the curve goes down instead of up which is closer to what Carmine Infantino and company were drawing in the comics.

So I do think there was some effort in making them.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

That was a good idea Andy. I sit down corrected lol. Not really all that bad hehe :lol:
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Yes, credit where it's due: they did try. Here's the thing, though: the animation itself is crude, even by Bob Kane standards. Any attempt at complete faithfulness would result in a product that looked too slapdash to appeal, but any measures taken to pretty it up make it inaccurate. You can't win.

When it came out, I was briefly intrigued and excited to see the logo base, but I decided to hold out for stuff based on the look of the "live action" duo. As a representation of comic book Batman and Robin, it's nice, but like the animation itself, it doesn't resemble Adam and Burt, which for me is the whole point of '66-themed merchandise.

If we're going for the 60s comic look, I prefer the Infantino-inspired "rooftop" statue from around the same time.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Here's a Batman bowl from 1966, that is very faithfully done, looking like they may have transferred an original film cell to the bowl. There's an entire line of this ceramic ware, but many images had Batman on the "wrong" side.
Attachments
th.jpeg
th.jpeg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 7099 times
Music. BAT! Music.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

That's what I thought, and its the reason I passed on it. It is more "possibly inspired by than a representation of the title animation.
Beneath Wayne Manor