Diecast (Hot Wheels, Corgi, Matchbox, etc.) appreciation thread

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Blue Meanie

Diecast (Hot Wheels, Corgi, Matchbox, etc.) appreciation thread

Post by Blue Meanie »

I could not find a dedicated thread to diecast Batmobiles and other Bat vehicles as well as diecasts in general from Hot Wheels, etc., so I thought I start one where we can share news of upcoming releases, finds, variations/errors, pictures of our collections, stories, etc. Currently, Hot Wheels seems to be the leader in the Batman diecast space right now, but Corgi, Matchbox, Eaglemoss and others have produced Batmobiles and Bat-vehicles.

Let’s talk any scale diecast (1:64, 1:50, 1:43, 1:36, 1:18, etc) and can even include other popular models like James Bond 007 vehicles, character cars, ZAMACs, fantasy cars, Red Lines, etc. I’m sure there are others on this board who enjoy finding these cars and adding them to our collections.
Blue Meanie

Re: Diecast (Hot Wheels, Corgi, Matchbox, etc.) appreciation thread

Post by Blue Meanie »

New for 2019 and out now from Hot Wheels is a new version of the Batmobile. It’s not based on any movie or comic, but a new creation. Looks like there are going to be 5 vehicles in the Batman Series, and I would imagine several, such as this one, will show up in different colors. Usually black and blue.

Pictured is the European short-card.

Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

News from the official Hot Wheels Collectors forum https://hotwheelscollectors.mattel.com/ ... hwc/forums

Hot Wheels retail series releases planned for December 2018:

2019 Entertainment: DC
- The Bat
- Batmobile
- Batwing
- Black Manta Submarine (New Tool!)
- Justice League Batmobile
- Mera Ship (New Tool!)

This is a separate set from the mainline models (blue cards) and usually feature unique card art. Unfortunately, the ‘66 Batmobile doesn’t seem to be included this round.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

2018 Hot Wheels released 2 variations of the ‘66 Batmobile. One in metalflake black with thick red pinstripes and one in blue metalflake with thick blue pinstripes. However, I just today learned that there is a variation in a variation.

It appears that the 2018 blue version Hot Wheels TV Series Batman Batmobile has an interior variation with full center console, different shifter position plus gray plastic floor on passenger's side. The other version has an open floorboard on both the driver’s and passenger’s side. Minor detail I know, but thought I’d report it as there collectors who collect variations and errors.

Some pictures........

Floorboard on passenger side

Open floorboard
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Good idea for a thread. I’ll give mine a closer look tomorrow and see if I can get closeup pics as clear as yours. They’re on my desk at work, red and blue striped variants.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Both of mine have the open floorboard, driver side and passenger side. Manufacture dates are 12-25-17 for the red, 5-28-2018 for the blue. I found a video showing the factory but no way to know why there are two interiors. I need to jump on a nerd board for some help.

Hot Wheels factory

“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

TP-6597 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:06 pm Both of mine have the open floorboard, driver side and passenger side. Manufacture dates are 12-25-17 for the red, 5-28-2018 for the blue. I found a video showing the factory but no way to know why there are two interiors. I need to jump on a nerd board for some help.

Hot Wheels factory

Nerd board? Not nerdy enough for you here? LOL :D I’ve seen some sites calling it an error, while others call it a variation. I tend to believe it’s a variation as the stick shift is in a different position. If it was an error, it would be in the same position. Anyway, I’m sure it’s done purposely to entice us “crazy” collectors to hunt down both versions. It’s all in good fun.

Where did you find the manufacturing dates?
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

TP,
That’s a good video you posted. Wish it was in English though, but cool to see how Hot Wheels are made.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

TP-6597 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:02 pm Good idea for a thread. I’ll give mine a closer look tomorrow and see if I can get closeup pics as clear as yours. They’re on my desk at work, red and blue striped variants.
Thanks. I hope so and hopefully we get a good conversation going discussing and showing all sorts of Batmobiles and diecasts.
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

On the bottom of a Hot Wheel car is a letter+number stamp. The letter is the year, the number is the week it was made. The dates on mine are really the start of that week. I could be a few days after.

Here’s a site with the codes: http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Base_Codes
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

This is another I want to add to my collection. In fact, I think I’ll watch a few episodes tonight before I go to bed.

Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

TP-6597 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:53 pm On the bottom of a Hot Wheel car is a letter+number stamp. The letter is the year, the number is the week it was made. The dates on mine are really the start of that week. I could be a few days after.

Here’s a site with the codes: http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Base_Codes
Oh, that’s what the base codes are for. Good to know.
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

TP-6597 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:12 pm This is another I want to add to my collection. In fact, I think I’ll watch a few episodes tonight before I go to bed.

Yeah, that’s a pretty cool model. There’s a black version and one in blue as well. I’m still finding them here. HW has also produced BTAS Batmobile in their 1:50 scale line. They’ve really done a good job on their 1:50 castings. I’m pleased with my set.

Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Blue Meanie wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:46 pm New for 2019 and out now from Hot Wheels is a new version of the Batmobile. It’s not based on any movie or comic, but a new creation. Looks like there are going to be 5 vehicles in the Batman Series, and I would imagine several, such as this one, will show up in different colors. Usually black and blue.

Pictured is the European short-card.

So this is the literal embodiment of "Slap the word Bat on it and it will sell"?
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I like that it isn't tied to any one entity within the franchise. At 80 years old, there's no shortage of incarnations of cars, costumes, caves, and crooks in the Batverse. This one's clearly a nod to the car from BTAS.

I'll be buying this one well before anything from the Nolan films. That period tried too hard to be real and it was reflected in the car as well as the costume. To me, Batman works best when it keeps one foot in the comic books. This car does that.