Dec 8 , Sothebys has a Batmobile up for Auction

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
rajung

Dec 8 , Sothebys has a Batmobile up for Auction

Post by rajung »

Batman65

Re: Dec 8 , Sothebys has a Batmobile up for Auction

Post by Batman65 »

Wow, that car doesn’t even look right.
dell

Post by dell »

You would think anyone willing to plop down $175,000 would know that is not even close to a real Batmobile.
dell
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

A 1:1 scale Corgi lol...actually, I love the Corgi. It has better detailing of the interior this car does. Oh Mark, where are you?
Music. BAT! Music.
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Man, that thing is a mess. For that kind of dough, would it kill them to tidy up the dog house and throw some caps on those Cragars? (or whatever brand they are). Clearly built some time ago. The blurb said something about promotional events for the show. Seems like we must have come across some old behind the scenes pics or news articles where it might have shown up. I havent found one yet, but how could it not have been photographed for an article at some point back then? Batman with a bunch of kids, or in a parade, or something.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Looking at the dashboard, steering wheel and that earlier Y-block V8, I'm pretty sure this was built from a 1957 Lincoln, not a '59. ISTR seeing something like this being built in some car magazine in the '70s or so; at any rate the odd rear proportions make it look familiar. There should be other places on the frame where the real serial number appears, unless the builder ground them off or welded them over; if it was built in CA it should have a Special Construction VIN tag as well.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Antlers off
Antlers off
Antlers off
Antlers off
Windshield photo shop
Windshield photo shop
To me the windshield looks photo shopped, but it looks like that in every shot.
Also, the middle bridge curves to one side, and antlers look a little wonky.
All that being said, it is better than I could make.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

If you click on that Sotheby''s link, scroll down further to see another Batmobile by Batrodz? Or use this link to their site:
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/fl19 ... odz/702476
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-12-04-21-20-55.png
Music. BAT! Music.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

The first car was (probably) built by Jay Ohrberg. It was sold from the Cars From the Stars Museum in England for a whopping $233,000 to someone in the Cayman Islands, then was for sale again in Auburn, Indiana on 9-2-17. I 'think' it was bid to $110k, but I don't recall if it sold.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Mark Racop wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:09 pm The first car was (probably) built by Jay Ohrberg. It was sold from the Cars From the Stars Museum in England for a whopping $233,000 to someone in the Cayman Islands, then was for sale again in Auburn, Indiana on 9-2-17. I 'think' it was bid to $110k, but I don't recall if it sold.
That's so funny, I just did that "I know that car!" thing and was actually about to dig through some photos I took of it whilst it was in the UK at the Cars Of The Stars museum. This is actually the first Batmobile replica I ever encountered and sat in.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

Awesome, Ben!