Any idea on this?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

Any idea on this?

Post by AndyFish »

Any idea on this? I’ve never seen it before but the head looks like Mego. The back says NPP 1973 in small neat pencil.
It’s about 8” tall and flat on the back with a hook. Seems to be made out of plaster.
I’m going to put it up on eBay but want to know what it is.
Keith Mayo

Re: Any idea on this?

Post by Keith Mayo »

Batman collection expert Chaz George says it's a wall plaque.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yeah it definitely is-- hook on the back.
More pics (and better) pics...

Picked it up from a street market in Mexico-- but there is no Spanish on the card or the back and it looks vaguely familiar to me, but that might be the aforementioned Mego head. Through my lousy Spanish I took that it was from America.
Bryan Grantham

Post by Bryan Grantham »

Back in 1973 NPP stood for National Periodical Publications. Maybe the vendor/manufacturer wanted to make sure of the copyright?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yeah, the NPP thing is the only thing that makes me think it could be vintage. The header is way too clean and unworn and the paint is bright and glossy. I'll throw it up on eBay with a 99c start and see how it goes. Thanks for the input.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

My guess would be it's from a Hobby or Art Store kit that deals in Plaster and Porcelain kits and molds.
Then repackaged to make it look like a store item. You have worked with DC and Warners, have they ever
not embossed the item with a copyright and also had it somewhere on the header card? Looks like a knock off but still vintage. The Pose looks like it's emulating The animated start of Batman from the 60s running towards you. And like you said a Mego head look. So the 70's would still be a good guess.
Just my Guess, seen enough of these knock offs both Superman and Batman on eBay.
Looks cool though.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Andy,
In1974, a neighbor of mine was into doing ceramics and she would go to those shops where you'd paint, glaze and fire things. She presented me both Batman and Robin, but the thing was SHE had painted them herself. It wasn't finished. So they must have had them in their unfished forms as well. She never mentioned a packaging, so I assume they came loose? It was the same design as yours. But heads up, there is Robin companion piece out there!
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I should have been clearer in what I know, Mexico is notorious for recasting existing figures--i.e. Marx, I assume that this is what they did here. What I was hoping to learn is where the original figure came from because it looks familiar to me.
Hobby shop sounds about right to me. And yes absolutely if this were licensed the (c) would be engraved in the cast itself not written in pencil. But why even write it in then? I paid next to nothing for it from a street market so if their intention was counterfeiting an actual product what would be the point? It's an actual printed header card too-- not inkjet-- so I'd have to imagine the pencil marks were put on before it was sealed in the bag.
Well, whatever it's a mystery-- I'm leaning towards wherever this cast originates it's the Mego-esque head that is causing me to give it a vague recollection.
Thanks all!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:00 pm Yeah it definitely is-- hook on the back.
More pics (and better) pics...

Package art all over the place: Infantino/Anderson Batman, Golden Age Bat-logo. Eye-catching, but odd.
Beneath Wayne Manor