Overstreet Batman price guide with toys

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
BatToys

Overstreet Batman price guide with toys

Post by BatToys »

Highly recommend the Overstreet Batman price guide with toys. Extremely informative and well written. Lots about 1966 Batman toys. Interview with Art Cloos and photos of his 1966 Batman collection.
AndyFish

Re: Overstreet Batman price guide with toys

Post by AndyFish »

Preview of it over on 13th Dimension-- it looks good.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Flipping through it-- I'm on the fence. Price guide's are really useless. A collectible can vary in price so widely by condition that there really is no way to set a price. It's whatever I as a buyer am willing to pay and whatever you as a seller are willing to accept.

Comics are different because there are a lot more of them, and even then the price guide is pretty worthless, try finding a Werewolf By Night #32 (first Moon Knight) at guide-- you won't-- it sells for 5-10x guide all the time.

Plus guides are outdated almost as soon as they come out. I'd be in for the articles and pictures but there's far too much on the newer stuff that doesn't interest me at all.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

I've said the same thing in other collector's groups and was met by the villagers with torches from Frankenstein. I say that the quickest and most accurate way to judge the "value" is to simply look it up on Evilbay and use the "Sold Items" feature. That gives you an instant picture of what that item has been selling for in the last few months. I will probably snag one of these books after all the newness wears off (at a discount) due to there being articles within it's pages that were written by friends.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm with you Keith-- there is a rampant group of fans out there that cling to price guides. eBay gives you a much more accurate measure of values-- and then Hakes and Heritage. I guess the idea of having some sort of guideline just makes people feel better.

That's not to slight this book or the recommendation for it-- I often buy a comics price guide for the articles, but it's an expensive endeavor that usually takes me about twenty minutes to read, and I seldom look at the price guide portion of it.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Old price guides are good as a historical marker of hoe values have gone up or down on certain titles over the decades. I have a couple of price guides from the 70s and I find the listings to have been more honest and consistent than the guides from the bloated late 80s/early 90s.

But I do agree that eBay is a very accurate source where current values are concerned.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Those interested should be aware that mycomicshop.com has NM copies for $19.95.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11