Joker and Batman Surfboard Logos at Auction

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
wayoutjunk

Joker and Batman Surfboard Logos at Auction

Post by wayoutjunk »

If anybody here is near London (and has a little money to spend), there's an upcoming auction for Batman's and the Joker's surfboard logos.

https://ukm.propstoreauction.com/m/lot- ... tured%3Dno

If nothing else, it's nice to see close up what the Joker's logo looked like!
Attachments
batman surfboard.jpg
joker surfboard.jpg
Jimmy L. 66

Re: Joker and Batman Surfboard Logos at Auction

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

very cool.
It is worth noting that these come from Jan Kemp's collection.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Wow. That Joker art is another one from the “Items I’m Surprised Still Exist” collection. I hope there will be some other exciting reveals from Jan's estate.

The Bat-logo, however, is clearly not the one that appears on his surfboard in the screenshots. Did it have a different logo in different scenes, or is this a mistake?

I appreciate that they posted quality images of the Joker surfboard art... I was able to create a pretty faithful vector tracing with Adobe Illustrator's tracing feature, followed by a few minutes of manual cleanup. If you're interested in the vector art, drop me a PM, because I can't attach PDF or EPS here. JPG preview below.
Attachments
66_Batman-Joker_surfboard_logo_art-prev.jpg
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Very nice clean up of image.
This was discussed on another page and while the episode itself doesn't show that specific bat logo, this behind the scene shot looks like it.
Attachments
123591099_2054142224720601_6511980494961793241_n.jpg
123591099_2054142224720601_6511980494961793241_n.jpg (19.61 KiB) Viewed 32968 times
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Would this have been copied on onto the surfboard or how would that work?
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:21 pm Very nice clean up of image.
This was discussed on another page and while the episode itself doesn't show that specific bat logo, this behind the scene shot looks like it.
AP, do you mean here on the Message Board, or elsewhere? I'm spacing on whether we've discussed it here before or not?

Here's a slighty higher res and adjusted version of that BTS shot:
Batman - S03E10 098 - 103658061.jpg
This shot then shows the different version of the logo as seen in the episode as filmed:
Batman - S03E10 125 -  103657710.jpg
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Thanks for the higher res. shot. Not here, the discussion was on a facebook Batman Collectors page.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Perhaps the Bat-logo seen in the B&W pic got wet, fell off and was replaced by the other one. There's a definite shadow around the oval suggesting greater thickness than Joker's so perhaps it was prepped by different means.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
wayoutjunk

Post by wayoutjunk »

I also wanted to thank mwilbury for the cleaned up Joker image. Maybe now if we get anymore surfing Joker merch they'll be able to be more accurate on the image on the surfboard (although the Figures version wasn't bad).
Attachments
surfboard.jpg
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Could it be just the angle that we are looking at the logo? I wasn't there, but is strikes me as odd that they would make 2 boards?
One to surf and one to hold I suppose?
Meule

Post by Meule »

To me it looks like the top of the bat ears are closer to the top of the yellow oval in the color pic than in the B/W pic, so I would definitely say they used two different logos
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Ok, so this just came up in conversation whilst Scott and I were just chatting on Skype and we delved a little deeper into screen caps and the behind the scenes photos from this episode in our respective collections...

Simply put, there was a "Bat" on both sides of the surf board...

"Fat-Bat" logo as seen throughout most of the episode is on the topside of the board (i.e. facing upwards)
Batman S03E10 - Surf's Up! Joker's Under! - 3079.jpg
The "chest-style" logo can be clearly seen in the full length shots such as this where the under side of the board is visible...
Batman S03E10 - Surf's Up! Joker's Under! - 3485.jpg
We see the "chest-style" logo again in the episode it's self when Adam drops the board in order to pursue Joker after the competition...
Batman S03E10 - Surf's Up! Joker's Under! - 3697.jpg
Two more BTS stills showing the "chest-style" logo on the underside...
Batman - S03E10 101 - 103655533.jpg
Batman - S03E10 134 - 103655339.jpg
The Joker's surf board also features a logo on both sides, although they both appear to be the same to all intents and purposes.

Now for some incredibly forensic Cinemaphotography talk: I had also pointed out to Scott that the highlight from the fill light in the rehearsal photo of Adam in his robe (motivated from the opposite side as the key light, in this case; the sun) was totally different to how the highlight was hitting the board as we see it in the image from a take of the actual scene, which makes sense as only one side of a surfboard would be waxed and therefore shinier.

Now whether the auction logos are screen used or not is another matter all together.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Mystery solved! Good work, chum.

Also the best look I've had at Batman's soggy bat-ear.