McFarlane Toys doing Batman 66 figures?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: McFarlane Toys doing Batman 66 figures?

Post by Scott Sebring »

AndyFish wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:42 am The Green Hornet and Kato were in the 66 Comic which is what McFarlane has licensed, it doesn't always mean you get all the characters in such a license but it usually does. Hence the pins released under the 66 Banner. I'd actually be surprised if he doesn't do them.
The pins are promoted under the "Classic TV Series" banner and not the " '66 Batman" comic banner Like McFarlane used for the Two Face and Batgirl figures so it's pretty clear that the "Classic TV Series" part of the license has Green Hornet and Kato under that umbrella to an extent. McFarlane can probably pick and choose which banner he would want to market those two if at all. Here's to hoping.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

AndyFish wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:42 am The Green Hornet and Kato were in the 66 Comic which is what McFarlane has licensed, it doesn't always mean you get all the characters in such a license but it usually does. Hence the pins released under the 66 Banner. I'd actually be surprised if he doesn't do them.
I think we're conflating the two licenses in two different scenarios here. Todd has bought into both the "Classic TV Series" and "Batman '66" Comic Book licenses, but FanSets (the pin makers) have only bought into the TV Series license, which raises questions i'm hoping to have answers to from the horses mouth (the owner of FanSets) in the coming days. He and I became friendly earlier in the year, so hopefully he can shed some light.

As far as the other half of this equation - Ralph and Kev's miniseries crossover comic was released in partnership with Dynamite, as to my knowledge (unless it has expired very recently) they still have carte blanche on behalf of Trendle Inc to handle the Green Hornet character in the comic world. So unless a third deal has been done to secure a licensing arrangement for the comicbook-version-of-the-TV-Green-Hornet via Dynamite, then the likelihood is that we wouldn't be seeing McFarlane figure released under the comic license, it would have to be the "Classic TV Series". This brings us to the big question here (which hopefully my pal at FanSets can shed light on), - if the Dozier GH and Kato are indeed covered by the Classic TV deal, were the likenesses for Van and Bruce set up and paid up by WB Consumer Products?
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

I think fansets can make whoever they want because the pins don’t look like the actors at all. They have been making characters DC has no likeness rights too like Siren, Louie The Lilac and Minstrel, even False Face (who Figures Toy Company couldn’t make so they just made the mask so fans could put together their own version using their bodies and outfits) I don’t believe Fansets is one we can use to predict who can or cannot be made because they can make anyone, and have due to no likeness really being used here.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

rickkrefft wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:13 am I think fansets can make whoever they want because the pins don’t look like the actors at all. They have been making characters DC has no likeness rights too like Siren, Louie The Lilac and Minstrel, even False Face (who Figures Toy Company couldn’t make so they just made the mask so fans could put together their own version using their bodies and outfits) I don’t believe Fansets is one we can use to predict who can or cannot be made because they can make anyone, and have due to no likeness really being used here.
The only key here is that the GH, Kato costumes, logo and Black Beauty are cleared under the "Classic TV Series" license at least. Copyright, look and feel properties and usage of that sort of imagery still needs to be addressed for product and it appears to be covered under that license at least. Real life likenesses aside of course. That's where liberties with caricatures and comic interpretations can come into play.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

Polar Lights is making new model kits of the 1/24 Batmobile and Black Beauty with Catwoman, penguin, Green Hornet, and Kato figures. BUT It doesn't look like the actors because Polar Lights said they did not acquire the likenesses rights. So likeness rights must be separate from the 1966 rights. For some reason I thought they were combined. Also they are not in resin but apparently rubber.

For example the Catwoman figure does not have Julie's hairline.

It's a pity because their resin Adam West Batman looks very accurate.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230212_123953_YouTube.jpg
Barnabas Collins

Post by Barnabas Collins »

Review of the BatGirl figure (not in English).

Barnabas Collins

Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

Mattel vs McFarlane Batman playset props by Ian McLean, on Flickr

A comparison of props, displayed on the McFarlane Wayne Manor Library playset.

The Mattel “To the Batcave” boxed set came with an unmasked Batman, a much smaller Shakespeare bust, and a much larger Batphone (with no cord and the receiver is a separate piece).

I had forgotten that a Bat-bazooka came with that set, but apparently the forthcoming McFarlane Rebreather Batman action figure will have a similar accessory.

Note the irradiated cowl on the floor is a custom, which I made using the spare Batman head that came with the Mattel set.

The Batman and Robin figures pictured here are from McFarlane range and the Alfred is DC/Mattel.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Ian, the “Batman unmasked” that you mention, is that the same as the “to the Batcave” Batman? If so, I do not remember a trophy in that set. Was there a different set put out by Mattel?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Knowing the Dynamite folks quite well, I can tell you that sometimes these licenses come pretty cheap. Trendle is protective of both GH and Lone Ranger but I know they are hoping to overcome the two blockbuster failures from recent years which they feel have tarnished the properties. As for likeness or not likeness, I know if I were on a jury in a civil case and someone showed me that McFarlane Batgirl figure and then a pic of Yvonne in Costume I'd say it's the same character. Meanwhile making a black haired Alfred over at Mezco in that five point set might be enough to differentiate, I don't think having just an all yellow cape does the same thing.

But as stated, licensing is very complicated, and in recent years very diluted, it used to be only one licensor could make clothed figures in a certain scale, or a car with rolling wheels, but that seems to all be out the window-- look at the Batman figures from FTC and New Mego.

I stand by my original statement, I'd be surprised if Toddy didn't make GH figures, but you are skirting into Bruce Lee estate area and that can be dangerous.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

BiffPow wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:37 am Ian, the “Batman unmasked” that you mention, is that the same as the “to the Batcave” Batman? If so, I do not remember a trophy in that set. Was there a different set put out by Mattel?
Yes, I mean the “To the Batcave” set with the accessories of Batcomputer one side and Wayne’s desk on the other. I thought that’s where the trophy came from? I had it stored inside the desk.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

Two differences with this Gas Mask Batman and the others are he has no black shading on his mask it’s just all blue. Also he has two open hands.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

rickkrefft wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:34 pm Two differences with this Gas Mask Batman and the others are he has no black shading on his mask it’s just all blue. Also he has two open hands.
:shock: Surprising about the all blue cowl. I wonder if that was some oversight.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

BiffPow wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:24 pm
Ben Bentley wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:32 am
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:58 am

The Green Hornet & Kato are not the IPs of DC/WB. Unless McFarlane Toys produces characters from non-DC properties, I'd doubt they would ever make GH & K figures.
This is an interesting point that I would have instinctively agreed with BWH on until recently. Our friends at FanSets released their Green Hornet pin badges under the Batman "Classic TV Series" product license. I'm going to reach out and try and clarify what the situation is with that.

:shock: WOW! Perhaps because of the TV show cross-over? Would LOVE to see that happen.
Thanks for the images, Ben--I forgot the GH&K were part of the pin sets. We do know two recent Kato figures were produced by Diamond Select, but their existence would not necessarily prevent another company from producing their own versions of the characters. That said, GH&K action figures are few and far between, and if they're not a part of the Batman '66 line, its possible they would be overlooked by all, other than the most serious '66 collectors.
Beneath Wayne Manor
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Thinking about what could be the next McFarlane playset and vehicle.

I agree that the Batcopter, Batgirl’s apartment/hidden change room and Batgirl cycle would be welcome.

Again, would love to see some of the villain traps from the cliff hangers.

As we already have the United Underworld lair, maybe a section of the Penguin’s submarine, with interior control room?

Some villains’ vehicles, like the Jokermobile and Catmobile.

I wonder what would be the members’ picks for the next diorama set?
Jczernich

Post by Jczernich »

BiffPow wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:23 pm Thinking about what could be the next McFarlane playset and vehicle.

I agree that the Batcopter, Batgirl’s apartment/hidden change room and Batgirl cycle would be welcome.

Again, would love to see some of the villain traps from the cliff hangers.

As we already have the United Underworld lair, maybe a section of the Penguin’s submarine, with interior control room?

Some villains’ vehicles, like the Jokermobile and Catmobile.

I wonder what would be the members’ picks for the next diorama set?
If we just got a Batcopter and Mad Hatter, I would be satisfied.