McFarlane Toys doing Batman 66 figures?

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Lou Szabo

Re: McFarlane Toys doing Batman 66 figures?

Post by Lou Szabo »

rickkrefft wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:57 am You’re welcome. I’m pretty thrilled we will be getting Wayne Manor Playset, Batboat and Batgirl (66 Comic version) next. In all honesty I’ll buy all McFarlane puts out in this line but my priorities are a Batcopter, Mad Hatter and Alffed. Rounding out my top 5 would be a Batgirl Cycle and Jokermobile (but Batcopter my #1)

I also really like Two Face and glad they made him. I would definitely buy a 66 Comic Scarecrow and Poison Ivy as well.
Hi Rick,
Alfred is available in 6" as part of the 80th anniversary of Batman from 2019 or so. He comes with 3 head, comic book, 89 Alfred, and 66 Alfred.

I thought it might have been McFarlane who put that figure out, but it might be Mattel.
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/afi- ... ed-sdcc19/

Ian, on Facebook there's a new group devoted just to McFarlane Retro Batman in 6". Some of your displays might draw some interest there.
"Mcfarlane Retro Batman 66 Fan Group"
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:18 am
BiffPow wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:47 am Picked up Egghead a couple of days ago. Why is he so small? Vincent Price was 6’4” not counting the oversized head makeup, and McFarlane’s Egghead is shorter than Joker and Catwoman!

And, when compared with the 1/12 McFarlane Captain Kirk, it’s obvious that the 1966 Batman figures are more like 1/14 scale.
It there's one thing about action figure manufacturing decisions that's always bugged me, its the corners cut ($) when producing lines based on real actors, where its not uncommon for one mold to be used (or re-used) for a number of characters, even if the actors they're based on have completely different body types. I've avoided collecting certain figures lines based on that problem.

Thankfully, companies such as Hot Toys were all about attention to detail, including accurate scales (e.g., ANH Luke Skywalker compared to ANH Darth Vader, et al.), which is a great selling point (along with the excellent likenesses, of course).
To each their own, obviously you're not wrong in what you're saying, Egghead does scale shorter relatively in this line... But I will say this as this general theme continues to be a mainstay here on the Message Board and in fan-culture at large: Context is everything, and in this case to throw Hot Toys into the mix we're comparing a ceiling fan to a helicopter. We're talking about $20 vs $300 aimed at two entirely different markets within the wider collector umbrella. I see an awful lot of $20 customers endlessly bemoaning the lack of $300 sensibilities. It strikes me as a wildly unhappy way to pursue a hobby rooted in child-like joy.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:52 am
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:18 am
BiffPow wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:47 am Picked up Egghead a couple of days ago. Why is he so small? Vincent Price was 6’4” not counting the oversized head makeup, and McFarlane’s Egghead is shorter than Joker and Catwoman!

And, when compared with the 1/12 McFarlane Captain Kirk, it’s obvious that the 1966 Batman figures are more like 1/14 scale.
It there's one thing about action figure manufacturing decisions that's always bugged me, its the corners cut ($) when producing lines based on real actors, where its not uncommon for one mold to be used (or re-used) for a number of characters, even if the actors they're based on have completely different body types. I've avoided collecting certain figures lines based on that problem.

Thankfully, companies such as Hot Toys were all about attention to detail, including accurate scales (e.g., ANH Luke Skywalker compared to ANH Darth Vader, et al.), which is a great selling point (along with the excellent likenesses, of course).
To each their own, obviously you're not wrong in what you're saying, Egghead does scale shorter relatively in this line... But I will say this as this general theme continues to be a mainstay here on the Message Board and in fan-culture at large: Context is everything, and in this case to throw Hot Toys into the mix we're comparing a ceiling fan to a helicopter. We're talking about $20 vs $300 aimed at two entirely different markets within the wider collector umbrella. I see an awful lot of $20 customers endlessly bemoaning the lack of $300 sensibilities. It strikes me as a wildly unhappy way to pursue a hobby rooted in child-like joy.
I definitely don’t expect a $20 figure to have the sort of detail as a $300 figure. And I completely agree that those are two different markets targeting different collectors with different budgets. And, yes, we are thankful that there are figures available at a comparatively affordable price for one of our favorite childhood memories.

But making the figure slightly larger, like the NECA 7 inch Batman that originally sold for, what, $25 (with the accessories), seems to be a very doable thing. It’s not any harder to make, and it doesn’t use that much more plastic. It’s just surprising to me that one of the literally larger than life villains is somehow shorter and appears all around smaller than Catwoman.

More surprising, because McFarlane has historically been known for exacting accuracy and detail, and probably still is known for it in practically every other line he makes but this one. I just feel like it was a missed opportunity that could’ve been easily “not missed,” and I can’t help but wonder if the people responsible just really thought we were a bunch of old fogies anyway and they can’t relate to the show or to us and figure we will pretty much buy whatever they crank out.

Take the Batcave playset. It’s clearly 1/18 scale, not 1/12 (and I’m glad that we have at least that to use with the Funko or Mezco 1/18 figures, to be sure). But the Batcave equipment doesn’t look like the equipment in the show and even has contemporary keyboards? How hard would it have been for them to use stickers, if that’s the route you’re going to take, with something that at least more closely resembles the equipment in the Batcave? Same cost for design. Same cost for printing and manufacturing. I guess there could’ve been a licensing issue with whoever holds the design patents, but you can modify it and still make it look a little more accurate.

Just me, I guess. Not meaning to offend anyone.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

McFarlane series to date. Wayne mansion and rebreather Batman and Robin on the list...
McFarlane to date
McFarlane to date
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Handy reference, Lou! Thanks!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Lou Szabo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:22 am McFarlane series to date. Wayne mansion and rebreather Batman and Robin on the list...

D6E98173-6268-49F1-B291-66426322AF49.jpeg
Just missing the Bat Boat from that next wave list with Batgirl, Breathers and Bruce's Study.
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

Is there a picture of their soon to be released Bat boat?
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Ben Bentley wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:09 pm
Lou Szabo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:22 am McFarlane series to date. Wayne mansion and rebreather Batman and Robin on the list...

D6E98173-6268-49F1-B291-66426322AF49.jpeg
Just missing the Bat Boat from that next wave list with Batgirl, Breathers and Bruce's Study.
I did see a picture by McFarlane with Batman on a ladder and a shark around his leg. It may be a Promo, or some type of accessory.
A7CCADE1-9B36-4826-B650-89271DA391EC.jpeg
Found it!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

If Batgirl looks as good a the illustration and the Julie Catwoman, I'm in for Bat Girl.
Larry
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

What is the difference between tv Batgirl and Comics Batgirl? Darker purple/ no sparkles?
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Lunchbox figures are different from card releases, they are modeled after the playing card art from the 60’s
EC7D710F-DC23-461E-9310-074F94547A97.jpeg
9133325E-6B73-439A-80B7-D10CDC7081D6.jpeg
37190013-EB1F-443C-AA1D-0439A6818FB2.jpeg
14C3A59F-E152-449C-A84F-2B1213E2FBE7.jpeg
That’s 4 more figures to add.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Personally, I prefer the "Lunchbox" release as it does not show the eyes and matches the comics and gum cards imho!
Larry
P.N. Gwynn

Post by P.N. Gwynn »

Beautiful color chart, Lou! It really pops!

Did we ever figure out why this was on the list last year?:
- Catwoman Season 1 (SDCC, Gold Label)
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

P.N. Gwynn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:17 pm Did we ever figure out why this was on the list last year?:
- Catwoman Season 1 (SDCC, Gold Label)
She was going to be a convention advance exclusive, I guess with a gold sticker (instead of the platinum one, as seen on Unmasked Riddler, Masked Joker and Unmasked Robin). So maybe the same Newmar figure as what was eventually released, just collectible packaging?
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Based on what I had read, I think it was supposed to have been a “highly limited“ release, and the other gold label figures appear to be very detailed. Not sure why the figure wasn’t released.

https://mcfarlane.com/news/mcfarlane-to ... el-series/