Batman Week on my blog.

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

Batman Week on my blog.

Post by AndyFish »

Hey Fellow Batman’s;
This week in my neck of the woods is the Brimfield Antique and Flea Market Fair. It’s been running three times a year for decades and I’ve found some great vintage Batman items there many times over. In celebration it’s Batman collectibles week on my blog https://andytfish.com/blog where I’ll look at some of my favorite 60s items, most of which are in my collection. Give it a look see, runs all week.
Jczernich

Re: Batman Week on my blog.

Post by Jczernich »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:17 am Hey Fellow Batman’s;
This week in my neck of the woods is the Brimfield Antique and Flea Market Fair. It’s been running three times a year for decades and I’ve found some great vintage Batman items there many times over. In celebration it’s Batman collectibles week on my blog https://andytfish.com/blog where I’ll look at some of my favorite 60s items, most of which are in my collection. Give it a look see, runs all week.
Waitaminnit! That is my neck of the woods too!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Great toys and collection Andy. My favorite was the Mego but a couple others not on your list, the awesome Ideal cardboard Playset and the Duncan / Simms plastic Batmobile. Both of those have a big place in my heart.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Simms/Duncan Batmobile was the one regret I left off, but there are twenty two more items over the next two days, so who knows what else shows up.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Always great to see your collection, Mr Fish!
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Thanks for the tour. I'm not much of a collector, although I still have a few dinged-up relics from my youth. I remember seeing and coveting those gumball-machine prizes, flicker rings and Soakies. I'm pretty sure we had one of the big-head puppets, and somewhere there's a great picture of my mom sporting my Ben Cooper mask. That original wave of merchandise included lots of schlock, but it was a great time to be a Batman fan. :)
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I was born just past the craze but had I been born five years earlier my folks would have been broke. I’m glad there are items today that are show specific, I know if I was a kid this McFarlane set would be my only Xmas request, but there’s a real charm to the more generic stuff of the 60s.

In ‘89 when Batmania II hit well intentioned friends and family would pick things up for me, knowing I was a Batfan. The trouble was I really dislike the black rubber Batmen so that type of merchandise did nothing for me. My one and only costumed appearance was at Children’s Hospital in Boston where I wore an expensive Keaton suit gifted to me and gave out bat buckets of the ‘89 items people had given me. I even gave a hospital orderly the very costume I was wearing after he raved about it and I remember leaving the hospital in scrubs they gave me, sliding out a side door while he ran up and down the hallway in the suit. Hey I personally would have washed it first but who am I to judge?

Happy memory.
hisyouthfulward

Post by hisyouthfulward »

Great collection, Andy! I'm especially intrigued by your side link to old time radio shows, so I'm assuming you're a fan. Old radio shows are great to listen to. With that in mind, if you could have crafted a full-blown old time Batman radio show, what would it look (sound) like? Detective show? Adventure show? More mystery type of storylines? If you could put together your ideal cast of cinematic and radio actors to be the voices of the Dynamic Duo, villians, and the supporting cast, who would be your choices?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Wow great question! I do love Old Time Radio- in the old days before being able to stream movies and TV shows in my studio, I would listen to old time radio while I was chained to my drawing table. I still do a few times a year especially if I'm working late into the night-- there's something about after midnight listening to radio shows that works for me.

There were two Batman radio programs, both pilots that weren't picked up. The first one was in 1943 and the concept would be that Batman talked with a British accent and Bruce Wayne an American one (should have been the other way around) and it was darker and more serious than the second one in 1950 which was The Monster of Dumphrey Hall in which Batman hosted a program that debunked supernatural theories. The '43 pilot doesn't exist, there are scripts for it though, and the '50 was recorded and can be found pretty easily. It was more a kids show with Batman rooters or something in the cast.

It's surprising that Batman never had his own radio show, but he was a popular co-star on THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN for many years, even filling in for Superman while star Bud Collyer took a vacation (or asked for more money). Stacy Harris played Batman and he was great.

If I was putting together a BATMAN Show I'd go with crime/mystery/adventure and I'd adapt many of the best comic stories like The Joker's Crime Circus (BATMAN #4) and The Crime Batman Failed to Solve (Batman #14) -- for a cast I'd have offered more money to The Shadow of the mid 40s, Brett Morrison, he had the perfect Batman voice and I'd have used the kid from the Great Gildersleeve show who later went on to play Sherman on the Bullwinkle cartoon, Walter Tetley. If I couldn't get Morrison I would have settled for Stacy Harris.

Thematically The Shadow's overall tone would have worked for Batman so I would have followed that.
hisyouthfulward

Post by hisyouthfulward »

Yep, the 1943 prototype's first show was to be called, "The Case of the Drowning Seal". If you have access to the Amazing World of DC Comics (Jan 1975) Batman issue, there's an article about this first attempt to bring Batman and Robin to the airwaves. It involves Nazis and the Flying Graysons are working undercover for the FBI when they die. Dick Grayson is called Robin Grayson and he deduces Bruce Wayne's secret identity, and ends up partnering with Batman. The first name change for Grayson would have caused problems for keeping a secret identity for himself but, hey, it seemed to work for Bucky Barnes. I have heard the 1950 show and I was not all that impressed. Thanks for your response...
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

Excellent collection. I always thought the Batman pinball game you showed was really cool because they accidentally repainted batwoman to look Like Catwoman.
TysonL

Post by TysonL »

I just saw this post. Those are some great items Andy !