Mezco 12 Pts Golden Age Batman

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
SprangFan

Re: Mezco 12 Pts Golden Age Batman

Post by SprangFan »

Andy writes:
This is where you guys are going off the rails, toys are for taking out of the box and displaying or playing with them. THIS is the reason I don't buy everything that comes out, I wait for stuff that really appeals to me.
They always come out of the box, and briefly get displayed. But eventually they end up back in the box (or anyway a box) and shoved in the closet. There's just not enough room to display everything. Plus I get tired of dusting it all. Some day I may assemble one of those displays with multiple Batman figs, multiple Superman figs, etc acquired over a lifetime, but until then I only have room for one or two of each, and they get put out in rotation.

In a few more years, we'll be empty nesters, so maybe I can reclaim one of the kids' rooms as an "office" or man cave and put more stuff out. Then I'll have the fun of digging things out and saying, "Oh wow, I bought one of those!"

But I don't buy everything that comes out, nor (alas) even everything that appeals to me. Usually enough time passes between purchases that I'm put off by inflation when something does catch my eye, and I take a pass. For instance, I don't care how nice the Mezco figs look, if you'd told me when I was younger that someday 6-inch action figures would go for $100 a pop -- and that they'd routinely sell out! -- I'd have said you were nuts. At some point, I seem to have crossed over from "Sure it's pricey but I gotta have it" youth to "Sure it's awesome, but that's way too much" old age. My sweet spot seems to have been the 90s, when I bought way more stuff than I needed. And looking at some of it now, I think, "Wait, why did I want that, again?"
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Why did I want that again? was my rallying cry for the '89 Batmania-- some of it wasn't my fault-- friends and employees who knew I liked Batman would often come across something and get it for me, but I never had the heart to tell them I had no interest in the black suit Batman. I ended up keeping everything in boxes and on cards and donated it all to Toys for Tots-- an organization I've been involved with for 20+ years.

For my own displays, I rotate stuff like a museum, and it's fun to put stuff away and then rediscover it later doing a switch out. If I find something is spending too much time in the basement I send it off to eBay or if it's too big to ship I give it to Tots who don't seem to care if something is 20 years old.

I like the pickiness of collecting, and the loss of the mentality that I have to have everything. I love it when I miss out on something because I think of the money I've saved that I can use for a nice dinner out or in some cases a trip somewhere.

I do think that they'll do an Adam and maybe a Burt, they already have the Adam head sculpt, and like any penny minded company they're going to squeeze everything they can out of it-- the question is whether they still have the license, and I think they do.

But really, in the end, it's just stuff. Cool stuff I grant you, but just stuff. Your kids and grandkids are not going to want to have to deal with it when you pass on.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Amen to that.

Quick story: My dad's a retired minister and many years ago when I was still living at home a congregation member called to say she wanted to donate some of her late husband's possessions to the church. I went to pick it up and it turned out to be a remarkably comprehensive movie-making set-up: a 16mm camera with different lenses, a title-making kit, a cut-and-splice kit for linear editing, a projector and some reels of finished movies, from family vacations to horse races and ballgames, what have you.

Anyway, the lady gave me all the stuff and stopped herself when she got to the film reels. I figured it was because they were too difficult to part with. Nope. She said, "The reels might be useful, but no one needs the films." So she stuck a pencil in the center of the reels and unspooled them into a trash can. :shock: I'm still not over it. All that time and energy that went into those films, and all those personal memories. But who cares?

So that's when I realized: our passions are for us to enjoy while we're living, because they won't mean anything to anyone but us. You can't take it with you, no matter how much your family might want to toss it in the hole after you. My kids don't care about comics, Bond, Beatles or Trek, so I've got a lot of stuff to will to a library, a charity or a landfill. That makes it hard to get too worked up about the idea of new acquisitions, no matter how cool they look. At this point, it's all about calculating which will be harder to take: regret at missing out on a purchase, or the buyers' remorse for actually following through. Luckily these days everything I might be interested in is announced months ahead of time; I figure if I still want it by the time it finally arrives, it's probably safe to take the plunge. Most stuff doesn't make the cut.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Bryan Grantham

Post by Bryan Grantham »

I don't have enough adjectives to describe this...what awesome craftsmanship. For the details and accessories, the price point is totally reasonable...sadly, I don't have the funds for this sort of thing. If I bought these, I would most likely use them for photo comics.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

My wife tells me that all the time. My folks passed away in 2005 and 2008, and I not only had to deal with their stuff, but my wife also had me look at my stub and I dumped some of it (Complete Spider-man and a bunch of other comics). I spent a bunch of it on the 66 Batmobile line. I had a second purge in 2016 and 2018, so I’m thinned out, but more to go. I try to be selective if I buy something, something not easily found (Chuck’s creations come to mind), but as retirement looms, and my wife’s parent recent passing, I can see another purge coming. GI Joe wave 2 maybe. Don’t know what else. These comics and toys that bring back some wonderful childhood memories, so I’m hoping some of these trigger those memories when that part of life takes over.

My daughter had a patient who used to me a conductor. While he was in the ICU, she found some music he conducted, and while his memory was mostly gone, when she played the music his hands would rise, and once more he was the Maestro!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Lou, I agree with You. I have 2 1/350th scale NX-01 Enterprises and 4 small scale ones. I was going to build one of the large ones as the NX-01 and one as the upgraded NX-01.5. I'll probably be lucky to get one of them done. I've been under pressure to get rid of a lot of stuff as I'm 68 and realistically I probably WON'T build a lot of the models that I have unbuilt. After this winter mess ends in a few days, I'm boxing every thing off and selling them to a local pre-owned toy store in the downtown area. Depending on how much I can get, it's extra money for the gas tank. Cheers!
Larry
cdub

Post by cdub »

It is kind of a downer how the lamenting of collections is getting on this thread. I have a lot of things that I have never been able to display, yet I still purchase some of the things I want. I am not a hoarder, and I have never sacrificed my family's wellbeing for my purchases. From reading the posts, it seems most know this about their collections also, and get joy out of the discovery of a forgotten item. I grew up poor, yet my parents still were able to buy me the Corgi Batmobile and Batboat, Mego's, Big Jim's, GI Joe's, Six Million Dollar Man, and comics. Now that I am a middle-aged adult, I like to get some of the things I want, and I am lucky enough to have a wife that believes I have worked hard enough to buy them.
cdub

Post by cdub »

Oh, and by the way, I did pre-order the Mezco 12 Pts Golden Age Batman.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hi cdub, I'm personally not lamenting. I'm being realistic. Having had two heart attacks, one after another while in the hospital, and being pronounced "DEAD" and knowing that my Dad lived to be only 72, I've decided that it's time to winnow out a lot of my collection. It's just part of life. I too, grew up poor and yet my parents got me a lot of the neat stuff. I did the same for my now grown kids. It's called sacrificing for them. I have no problem with this. It's just part of life. Besides, there are other things that I'm interested in now. Call it my "bucket list" or what have You, but there it is for me. Besides, the more I sell off, the more I'll have for other stuff. Please know that I am not criticizing You and in parts, I actually agree with You!

Cheers!
Larry
cdub

Post by cdub »

I have sorrow in hearing of your health conditions, but I am happy to hear of the life being fulfilled. Collecting is just that, collecting. When a want is fulfilled, why not move on to the next journey. I still very much wonder how the 1966 Batman TV show set me off on this journey when I was only a little over 3 months old when it premiered!
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Hey cdub, I don't lament my collection as I said I have half of it displayed. I lament my lack of space to display all of it. Collections start out simple enough but then you see something else, and then something after that, and then pretty soon - after a number of years - it can become monster-like in proportion. I just wish I had more space. :)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think discernment comes with collecting and is the number one clue that you aren't either a hoarder or someone addicted to that same thrill we all got when we opened our first Corgi Batmobile or a Batman Mego back in those golden days. I passed on the Lego Wayne Manor even though my wife of all people tried talking me into it, I pass on the vast majority of all of these Batmobiles, passed on the incredibly detailed but insanely expensive 1/50 Batcave, the McFarland Batcave, and the Mezco 5 point set and I don't regret any of it "falling through my fingers".

I regretted my Hot Toys purchase after having them for a while, and it was only when Wally convinced me to get a new outfit from Tony Mei did I come to appreciate them (I still dislike the ears and Adam's skin color) which caused me not to sell them. I display about ¼ of my collection in my art studio and store the remainder, then every season I swap almost everything out and there's that thrill of being 8-years-old again when I dig into those boxes, forgetting a lot of the things I put away.

I think the only constant displays are the cowls (Chuck '66 and '43, Ideal, Ogawa, Mattel), the red wheeled Corgi, the ¼ scale Neca Batman with cloth outfit, the vintage soakies and the Wonderland Toys talking Batman, Robin and Joker. Everything else (and how is there MORE?) gets rotated in and out. Two of my sons are collectors which is good news, so the best stuff will have a home when I'm no longer around, but I plan on that not being for some time.

I don't think it's being a downer, I think it's being a realist, and it helps me to be able to pass on things I might otherwise impulsively buy.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Amen, Andy. AMEN!
Larry
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:04 am
SprangFan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 pm Robin would have made more sense, but how else to work in Two-Face but in a two-pack?

Maybe this should be taken as a good sign that Robin is on the way, paired with another villain.

I like them, obviously given my screen name, but I'm out of places to put this sort of thing and if I get another collectible that has to be stored forever in the box, my wife's going to start measuring me for one.
This is where you guys are going off the rails, toys are for taking out of the box and displaying or playing with them. THIS is the reason I don't buy everything that comes out, I wait for stuff that really appeals to me.
That's the only kind of collecting I do; I've posted it before, but I see no need to buy every '66 Batman item. I'm not a museum or feel the need to "complete" something that did not call for it, and IMO, the TV series only has a few types of toys that naturally "fit"--or represent the series in a good way.
Beneath Wayne Manor
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

I used to buy many DC Comic superhero toys, but now my collection is 70% Batman 66, 10% Batman Animated series, 10% Batman (Burton) films and a little Super Friends, Filmation, and Golden, Silver and Bronze Age comic book figures. I no longer have Flash, Green Lantern or others in my collection. Only Superman or Wonder Woman I have is tied in with Super Friends. It was just so much easier for me to concentrate on my favorite hero. I have no regrets ditching the other heroes.

I always like looking at other peoples collections to see how they differ from mine. I see guys that only collect Batman and Robin and no villains. Some that only collect Batman himself. Some only into modern age Batman (which I personally own nothing of) but it’s still nice and when I spot things they have that I also have, it feels nice.

Andy, I too love the Wonderland talking plush figures. I remember talking to the person who was in charge of the company (I don’t even know if they are still in the business) I told them I wanted Penguin and Riddler and Catwoman so badly, they said they would have loved to do others but it seemed unlikely. I guess maybe they didn’t sell well? I remember them being hard to find.