Danger Zone Graphics 1/6 Batmobile kit out

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Lou Szabo

Danger Zone Graphics 1/6 Batmobile kit out

Post by Lou Szabo »

A company called Danger Zone Graphics (on FB) is releasing a 1/6 Batmobile kit for $700. You have to supply labor, paint, windows,etc, but if the Jazz Inc 1966 batmobile is too rich, this might work for you. 97% complete. I’d go for a 1/9 scale for the FTC figures, but have to be under $500. Ambitious project
Side view for scale
Side view for scale
Contact
Contact
Front view
Front view
Rear glass
Rear glass
Interior
Interior
Doors are fixed
Doors are fixed
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lou Szabo

Re: Danger Zone Graphics 1/6 Batmobile kit out

Post by Lou Szabo »

Any interest in a 1/9 scale kit for FTC figures?
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Interesting approach. Unlike most car models, the pieces don't correspond to actual parts and components. It's as if they took the car and sliced it crosswise into five or six segments (a size limit imposed by a 3D-printing process, I suspect). You must glue the pieces together, hide the seams, paint and polish, etc. It's well beyond my skills.

No wheel spinners?
You have to supply windows?
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

He has a FB video about the windows. Out of 1000 people, the skills will limit his sales, as will the cost due to our ages (I just turned 7 when the show premiered). I wish home well. It’s about 1/2 the cost of the JazzInc, so that will attract some people who didn’t buy or can’t afford it. The Mego Market is younger (1970’s vs 1960’s). But they operate at a lower price point.

We’ll see what happens, I sent him to FTC, Mego and WGSH to start conversations. The hard part (design, scale) is done (Randy has more input here), so it’s scaling and printing afterwards
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Applies to both 1/6 and 1/9 66 Batmobile
From Danger Zone Graphics

60’s batmobile kit

Made from pla+ filament material. Kit will have standard 3d printer quality with layer lines Visual and basice flaws. Kit is designed for the simplest builer in mind to be very easy to assemble. Kit will requir sanding, pimer, filler, and painting.

Kits parts:
4 main body segments
2 doors (meant to be none functional)
4 rims
4 plastic tires
1 steering wheel ( none functional)
1 canopy frame
4 bathubs

Not included is the clear lexan for the windows. You can do as I did and purchase a poster frame from store and rob the clear lexan aheetbout of it. This will give you plenty of material to work with. I also have a how to video on this available.

*** no action figures are included***

He did state the door bats and striping are included so we’ll see

I ordered the 1/9 version. That is 20 weeks out because it still has to be scaled. They have payment plans too!

Making the glass for the canopies

lots of assembly pics
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 534&type=3
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Lou Szabo wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:42 am He has a FB video about the windows. Out of 1000 people, the skills will limit his sales, as will the cost due to our ages (I just turned 7 when the show premiered). I wish home well. It’s about 1/2 the cost of the JazzInc, so that will attract some people who didn’t buy or can’t afford it. The Mego Market is younger (1970’s vs 1960’s). But they operate at a lower price point.

We’ll see what happens, I sent him to FTC, Mego and WGSH to start conversations. The hard part (design, scale) is done (Randy has more input here), so it’s scaling and printing afterwards
Thank you Lou for the interest in my opinion here. What a fun project and it looks like they have a nice design going here. Danger Zone Graphics has put in some work and appear to have created something that makes me very jealous and its a very viable project kit. As you guys know, I build a lot of 3D designs and I don't offer them for sell at the moment. This project is a perfect example of why I don't. This is a big kit that will require effort & time to get right. It looks like everything is in place to be able to do that but as mentioned earlier you should be ready to put in the elbow grease and time it will take to finish it off.

PLA+ is what I use and its easy to work with but I envision a ton of work to sand and putty this to a level that would make me happy. No offense to the photos of it in progress and their efforts here but the surface still looks rougher than I would want. The good thing here is you know its 3d printed and they don't seem to be trying to hide what level of completion is really possible ( like covering up build flaws with Photoshop or such ) so I would think anyone with some modeling skills that is willing to take their time will at least be able to get it looking like the example pictures. With even more effort and sanding and putting it probably would look great.

I love building things myself and would equally love for someone to put in the work to build this kit. What a sense of accomplishment you would feel. I bet most of us have built up a model kit in the past. What did it look like to you? How did yours end up compared to a pro build? Just keep a realistic image in your mind what your project will end up looking like.

As far as my personal ideas are from the information I read, I would be really excited for access to these files and would jump at a chance to make it but probably would not pay this amount to get a pre made printed kit that will take this much work to finish off. Personally, I would rather put my money into a 3d printer and open up more doors for making stuff like this affordable to make and further justifying the time and effort it takes.

I can't argue with the price point because an artist, builder and creator can ask for almost anything. I'm an oil painter and my prices are expensive to some but at the same time way affordable compared to some other artists. I don't try to sell my props because the printing part is not the hardest part. The time and effort in building them is what would make me want to charge a large fee for something I made but the key words are "my time and my effort". What your time and effort is worth is different for everyone.

The main problem here is the Jazz Inc. version exists and it looks mind blowing to me. I haven't spent the money ordering one but I would if I could. The amount of detail and the effort put into them way exceeds my wildest ideas of what a model kit is. The amount of effort in the lighting alone is mind blowing. I can't imagine what I would want to charge someone after the work it took to build the Jazz car. That looks crazy nice no matter the price point. Seriously it probably couldn’t be any nicer.

Since both cars do exist now you have to ask yourself this. $700 dollars for a build it yourself 3d printed kit combined with the time and effort it would take to finish it off and what you would have when it was finished off compared to the $1600 price point of what you will get with the incredible Jazz model. For me it makes both of them out of my budget range but from a fan stand point I so want the Jazz Inc car!!!

I would be more interested in a Mego sized 3d printed kit because nothing like that already exists and the amount of detail this kit would have for that size would be cool.

I do wish Danger Zone nothing but success. The work and efforts and talents will be worth the price to many and nothing I say should take away from that.

My two cents worth. Keep all the Batman 66 stuff coming guys!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Randy,
I ordered the 1/9 Mego scale. I am # 1 for that scale, and #2 overall. They just posted pics of the Bat-Hubs.

"I love building things myself and would equally love for someone to put in the work to build this kit. What a sense of accomplishment you would feel. I bet most of us have built up a model kit in the past. What did it look like to you? How did yours end up compared to a pro build? Just keep a realistic image in your mind what your project will end up looking like"

I used to build models and my favorites were of people (Aurora Kits mostly), but I was about 12-13 or so. I did build a few car models, but I always rushed them, and lots of small parts with finger prints, etc. This is quite a bit bigger, so may be easier to work with. I want to run rods through it for strength (hate to have it sag in the middle). I was hoping for a one piece frame, but I guess it's too big for a printer.

The artists of our group will likely get the best renditions because they have the tools and skills (and patience) necessary to build it correctly. For me the two areas of concern will be the canopies (the shape), and the striping. Since the doors are separate pieces, one might even modify it. I have the McFarlane to experiment with Colors. Model paint doesn't work on these 3D printed pieces. Morton Brown, who painted my Parker/Spidey heads used a different paint. Even the thinner isn't the same, no smell and barely removes paint when you need it. So I have a lot of learning to do between now and next January when they ship it.

I have the Joost on order, but the 1/9 Mego Batmobile with some semblance of the car is a serious gap for 50 years now. The car they put out is too small, but I get it - Oil Embargo drove up all cost of plastics then.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Enamel model paint will work on the PLA. I'm not sure about the heads you have but my guess was they are resin prints. I'm not as familiar with resin but I would have thought model paint would work on that also after priming. I would probably suggest water based acyrlic paint though. I normally just spray paint mine but I have added details with enamel model paint.

Airbrush would give the best results. I look forward to seeing your results. I'm pretty sure it will be great.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Looks like a compressor and airbrush are in my Futura, so to speak
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

They started printing the first three 1/6 and today they started my 1/9 scale (their first in that scale). Keep you all up to date as we get closer to a ship date... he starts with the canopies.

By the way if you are a GIJoe fan, the make vehicles and space capsules in accurate 1/6 scale. Comparing theirs with the GIJoe capsule will knock your space socks off.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Very interesting indeed both as a product and at the price point for someone with the chops to complete it. I personally lack the modelling skills to justify even that price-point as I would inevitably have to pay someone to do the final paint and finishing and after materials and labor, ironically that gets towards the ballpark of the base-model Jazz Inc.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

They were having trouble with the Canopies, so have ended production, so its off the table. about six 1/6 orders (3 to 4 have shipped), and one 1/9 scale (Mine, picked up at UPS tonight). Now I need to find a local modeler, or SLOWLY build it myself. No hurry though.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Lou Szabo wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:19 pm They were having trouble with the Canopies, so have ended production, so its off the table. about six 1/6 orders (3 to 4 have shipped), and one 1/9 scale (Mine, picked up at UPS tonight). Now I need to find a local modeler, or SLOWLY build it myself. No hurry though.
Interesting, I would think they could vacuum form the canopies fairly easy, but I definitely know how much work goes into making these things.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I had to go to UPS last night to pick up the Batmobile and another Christmas present.

I just couldn't wait to break it open, Just some shots of loose parts.
Inside the Box
Box contents
Box contents
Striping tape and door bats
Stripe tape and door bats
Stripe tape and door bats
Tires and Rims
tires and rims
tires and rims
Bat Hubs and Interior parts
Bat Hubs, interior parts
Bat Hubs, interior parts
Canopy top view
Canopy top view
Canopy top view
It was double boxed, which is good as the outer box bottom was damaged, but contents appear safe.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

SO COOL! His 3d design skills are above mine. I wish I could model stuff like that. I'll keep working towards it.
I hope you build it yourself and keep us updated!