Ben Cooper Costumes Return!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
SprangFan

Re: Ben Cooper Costumes Return!

Post by SprangFan »

This was the only thing I saw on SDCC photos that interested me. I might've known you'd be behind it, Andy.

That said, it looked better in the box. They should sell the masks separately and forget the "costumes." I agree the Batman mask has the vibe of the B&B cartoon, and in fact looks very close to the plastic mask that show inspired and of which I bought multiples from Party City for a couple bucks each.

I'm curious about the plastic used in the masks, and what looks like a(n adjustible?) "webbed" strap to hold it on. The look of the B&B masks was nice but they were thin and flimsy with rubber bands, so they didn't last long. This looks maybe better?

What's that hanging off the "shirt", though? It almost looks like some contrivance to cinch the waist so it looks less like a Hefty bag. If so, I guess there's a couple possible reasons they didn't use it; maybe they want to illustrate that it'll work on even the larger customers...or maybe it looks even worse when it is cinched.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

SprangFan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:14 am What's that hanging off the "shirt", though? It almost looks like some contrivance to cinch the waist so it looks less like a Hefty bag. If so, I guess there's a couple possible reasons they didn't use it; maybe they want to illustrate that it'll work on even the larger customers...or maybe it looks even worse when it is cinched.
I believe you're right, I believe that's two simple ties.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I have a hard time understanding why companies feel the need to update their brand-- the "classic" suits would have had an appeal to the old timers and people today wouldn't know the difference. I was also trying to get them to do the hanging jigglers too- they still have the molds. Those were funky and odd but I loved 'em!
PEZ EMB 2.jpg
I found the Pez 2 Pack it looks like there is either a variant or the first pic is a mockup (which is what it looks like). Note the emblem on the blue one in the pic above vs the emblem in this "in hand" pic;
PEZ EMB 1.jpg
Personally I like the retro emblem much better. I don't love the "bust" pez style but ironically when I pitched the mummy pez I used a bust style image -- not saying I have anything to do with this one, but just realizing my own mistake in the Universal Monsters line.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

These new designs allow them to get away with one size and less inventory. I'm sure making adult sized vintage costumes would be daunting.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

These Pez busts can be modified to fit the Mego heads for the 8" figures according to some members of the Mego boards.
Larry
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

If they sell well, I'd like them to see them do an exact replica in adult size of the Superman and Batman playsuit cloth costume from 1966.

And I agree if they're going to use a 1966 Batman logo the costume should have looked more like the Adam West Batman emblem. WB probably made them look the way they are.

Andy, I also suggested to Dynamite comics that they license Ben Cooper retro style costumes of Red Sonja and Sheena, Queen of the Jungle.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

BatToys wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:05 pm If they sell well, I'd like them to see them do an exact replica in adult size of the Superman and Batman playsuit cloth costume from 1966.

And I agree if they're going to use a 1966 Batman logo the costume should have looked more like the Adam West Batman emblem. WB probably made them look the way they are.

Andy, I also suggested to Dynamite comics that they license Ben Cooper retro style costumes of Red Sonja and Sheena, Queen of the Jungle.
Personally, I'd love to have an adult size copy of the 1956 version of Superman costume that I had as a kid.
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Over on 13th Dimension they have an interview with the designers so you can see how they came to make the modern interpretations of the suits.
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

Batman is now available on their website (I didn’t see Flash or Superman)