Ben Cooper Costumes Return!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

Ben Cooper Costumes Return!

Post by AndyFish »

Although they were revealed at SDCC 13th Dimension has gotten some good pics of the new Ben Cooper Costume sets planned for Spirit Halloween Stores this fall. They did Star Wars last year which got limited release but this year they are rolling out DC Comics ones with Batman, Superman and The Flash-- Batman is advertised as "Classic TV Show" although it's clearly not.

Well now it can be told that Mrs Fish's little Boy Andy was the driving force behind the return. I've been doing mask designs for Ira Cooper and his team since the company came back-- Ben Cooper is a child hood favorite of mine, and it was during a conference call 2-3 years ago that I pushed for a return of the classic plastic face/cheap poncho costumes of yesteryear BUT IN ADULT SIZES-- the Cooper folks had a hard time getting on board, thinking people would reject it, but I pushed and pushed and it's finally happening, albeit I wanted to see a more vintage look to them but I like what they did. I was also in favor of the illustrated graphic on the front with the character name because I always found a ton of charm in the idea. STAR WARS was a big seller so they went out and got the DC license.

If these do well there's a chance they give my other big push a try- licensing classic monsters as Pez Dispensers! I'd love to see the return of a scary mummy, or a blood dripping Dracula or Wolfman instead of the cutesy design they offer each year.

I believe!
Larry A.

Re: Ben Cooper Costumes Return!

Post by Larry A. »

Well Done, Andy, VERY well DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Looks like that mask will fit the adult head. This is gonna be fun handing out candy. I used my retro shirt (with Ben Cooper Batman logo) last couple of years. I need that Superman retro shirt in the 13th dimension article.

Andy - Nice Job.....Can't wait.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BatMite

Post by BatMite »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:11 am
If these do well there's a chance they give my other big push a try- licensing classic monsters as Pez Dispensers! I'd love to see the return of a scary mummy, or a blood dripping Dracula or Wolfman instead of the cutesy design they offer each year.
This is a great idea and long overdue. The “cute” Halloween Pez dispensers are so unappealing.

Did anyone notice Pez released a Batman two-pack this year where one of the dispensers featured the ‘66 Bat emblem on the chest?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks everyone-- yes they are adult sized!
I've not seen the Pez Batman but I'll keep an eye out for it.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Awesome! Grew up with the Ben Cooper costumes. Some truly great memories of shamelessly dashing through the neighborhood collecting candy in a pillowcase, paper bag or plastic pumpkin (undeterred by my sweaty face).

Keep your inner child going!
svl

Post by svl »

Huge miss for me- would have snagged it in a nano second if they had just aped the original. The “suit” is hideous (looks like a garbage bag with holes torn out for head and arms, and design has zero to do w/ the ‘60s style). The mask is meh, more Bader voiced modern cartoon look than the classic we all know and loved. Only part of this monstrosity I want is the box.
svl

Post by svl »

Like to add that I put no blame on Andy, it’s the company at fault. The part that irks me the most is them using the show to trigger our nostalgic desires and than completely ignoring what we would truly want. I know it’s “just business”, but I think it stinks.
Etruscan Snood

Post by Etruscan Snood »

Using the Cooper style costume to hand out candy is a great idea. I've always to create an adult sized costume of the vintage jumpsuit.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Way to go Andy! I had an idea for some time now to make a XXL version of the Batman Cooper costume. I wanted the Large mask and to carry an equally large box repo too. Started work on it but hadn't finished it. I was planning on using vinyls to make the suit and vacuum forming a mask. I'm not much of a cosplayer but I pictured wearing it to a con to represent us old timers.

Great to see them back in any form. Keep at them Andy!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Etruscan Snood

Post by Etruscan Snood »

It may be easier to make the earlier cloth one.
Attachments
m_6181df8bdb99b9512b646ed3.jpeg
m_6181df8bdb99b9512b646ed3.jpeg (107.4 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

No knock taken-- I want to make clear its not my design and I wanted to see a re-release of the original.
But I do like they went with the same type of box.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Kudos & great to see they finally went with your idea Andy. Wished they had used the original logo though and it is a real stretch to use the Classic TV series branding on this one. Maybe they'll do different styling if they sell well. For now, I'll stick with the one I made out of my Rubies suit a couple years back.
Attachments
Cooper style costume.jpg
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Lounge lizard

Post by Lounge lizard »

A few years ago Karl Heitmuller Jnr did some 'comic'' style illustrations of superheroes as they'd looked if their Ben Cooper outfits were really the outfits they wore. And here they are...
https://13thdimension.com/what-if-13-su ... s-instead/
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

If they chose to copy the original Cooper style, I would have purchased one in a heartbeat.