Mego 50th Anniversary-- The Return!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Lou Szabo

Re: Mego 50th Anniversary-- The Return!

Post by Lou Szabo »

Found a poster with the original releases
4C25040C-0D04-4110-8D61-95D004710C2C.png
A7587D23-F197-4911-A21B-259931611B47.jpeg
DC8C2415-BA17-472E-B17C-709E353B7967.jpeg
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

For my 10th birthday I really wanted the Batgirl because she had a removable mask. This always fascinated being as a child and always wanted the removable mask of Batman and Robin figures but they were released when I was only three years old. My dad thought it was odd that I wanted a girl doll but for my birthday party I did get it but it was only presented to me after all my friends had left LOL
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I just read that Mego is adding to their 50th anniversary line with Riddler, Joker, Penguin and Reverse Flash. Preorder from Entertainment Earth says coming in May. Where are the ladies at?

http://www.megomuseum.com/new-mego-2023 ... 5bsXE2SjoN

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/s/me ... -002202116
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I heard the ladies are in the works-- easier to retool a head and make a new figure than do a whole female body and head with hair-- I'm out for the super-gals and anything that wasn't part of the original line, so no Green Lantern, Flash or Reverse Flash for me. I hope they get the Marvel License so I can get a Spider-Man but my life goes on if they don't. Might be in for a Joker and a Penguin, but that means I need another display box!
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:38 am I heard the ladies are in the works-- easier to retool a head and make a new figure than do a whole female body and head with hair-- I'm out for the super-gals and anything that wasn't part of the original line, so no Green Lantern, Flash or Reverse Flash for me. I hope they get the Marvel License so I can get a Spider-Man but my life goes on if they don't. Might be in for a Joker and a Penguin, but that means I need another display box!
I preordered the originals without Flash or Green Lantern but may still buy them if I see them in store. They are not must haves but I'm out on Reverse Flash for some reason. I guess Flash & Lantern are still core characters to me, but they don't tug on my heartstrings. I feel the same way about the Macfarlane toys and have no interest in figures like Two Face. I would go crazy for the original Marvel & DC figures remade though.

The little boy in me has a hard time walking away and leaving these toys at the store even though I already have them. I feel like I need to adopt them all and give them a good home.

You should order the additional box already. You know you want too.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yeah...you're right.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:38 am I heard the ladies are in the works-- easier to retool a head and make a new figure than do a whole female body and head with hair-- I'm out for the super-gals and anything that wasn't part of the original line, so no Green Lantern, Flash or Reverse Flash for me. I hope they get the Marvel License so I can get a Spider-Man but my life goes on if they don't. Might be in for a Joker and a Penguin, but that means I need another display box!
I'm hitting my "I agree with Andy" button...several times!!!!!! I always disagreed with the original Supergirl figure due to the fact I disliked (and still do) due to the insipid "house slippers" on the figure. I am buying the First Appearance Batgirl AND the |First Appearance" Supergirl with the Yellow/Green suit and red/orange hair. I'm dating myself, but I remember seeing her when Jimmy Olsen "Created" her BEFORE Kara Zor-el showed up in 1959. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It was funny when we were kids there was nobody saying it, no pressure from parents, no talk even amongst our group of probably 4 guys who were all into Mego-- the only female characters any of us got or even wanted were Zira from Planet of the Apes and Uhura from Star Trek. Superheroes, nope. We were mostly DC fans, we certainly knew who all the Marvel Characters were-- we had Spidey, Cap, Falcon, Hulk, FF, Goblin and the Lizard-- we all passed on Thor --seemed like a girl toy with the hair and for some reason we didn't know him. We were never into the Alter Egos or the Teen Titans either. Funny how the kid brain works. I do think one of the guys in our group got a Farrah and a Cher and probably a 12" Wonder Woman-- he also had the KISS dolls, but they existed outside of the suitcase we used to use to carry our collections to each others houses and were never included in any of the adventures.
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

AndyFish wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:40 am It was funny when we were kids there was nobody saying it, no pressure from parents, no talk even amongst our group of probably 4 guys who were all into Mego-- the only female characters any of us got or even wanted were Zira from Planet of the Apes and Uhura from Star Trek. Superheroes, nope. We were mostly DC fans, we certainly knew who all the Marvel Characters were-- we had Spidey, Cap, Falcon, Hulk, FF, Goblin and the Lizard-- we all passed on Thor --seemed like a girl toy with the hair and for some reason we didn't know him. We were never into the Alter Egos or the Teen Titans either. Funny how the kid brain works. I do think one of the guys in our group got a Farrah and a Cher and probably a 12" Wonder Woman-- he also had the KISS dolls, but they existed outside of the suitcase we used to use to carry our collections to each others houses and were never included in any of the adventures.

Unbelievably accurate…. This is EXACTLY my experience, I had zero problems with Zira, but the other females, never🤣, and I never saw a Uhura . I did by kid flash, but the others nope, and I remember see a dozen Wonder Girls just hanging on K-Marts shelves … wow Andy that’s amazing memories
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I do agree that there were many less desirables that I probably only had one of or bought dead last (probably Mr. Mxyzpltk) lol

The Thor hair comment made me laugh but I do agree. I don't remember having the Titans, Supergirl or Isis but I did have Wonder Woman, Catwoman & Batgirl. Thor and Iron Man & even Catwoman never worked for me....didn't love them.

I didn't feel the girl toy problem probably because I played with them by myself because I had no friends. ;?) but that is another story.
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

I had the Batcave, Batmobile, Batcopter and black Batcycle plus that Mobile Bat Lab which I recall never playing with too much, but the one thing I did like about it was it had room for Batgirl to ride with Robin in the seat while Batman was standing up shooting something through the rooftop. I always wanted the Jokermobile but never saw it in stores.

As for the figures, I had endless multiples of Batman, Robin, Joker and Penguin. Superman at least once. Catwoman I owned only once as I didn’t relate to the outfit, it wasn’t Julie nor was it the purple dress so I kind of wasn’t feeling her but she’s Catwoman so I had to have her. Riddler I had at least twice but he was harder to find than Joker and Penguin. The girls were short packed or something as I hardly ever saw them in stores with the exception of Batgirl who started to pop up more often in the later years (after the other 3 females were discontinued) I also had Spider-Man one time, and was always pretty crazy about how cool Captain America looked even though he wasn’t exactly accurate to the comics, I never did own him though.

I personally never had an issue playing with girl dolls. I loved my Mego Batgirl. She was my favorite of all the Mego figures which really surprised me as on the 66 show Batgirl was not important to me at all, though I did like her in the comics. I also will admit I loved the Hasbro Mego-like Charlie’s Angels dolls. I had all 4. A huge fan of the series.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

rsaffle wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:14 pm
I preordered the originals without Flash or Green Lantern but may still buy them if I see them in store. They are not must haves but I'm out on Reverse Flash for some reason. I guess Flash & Lantern are still core characters to me, but they don't tug on my heartstrings. I feel the same way about the Macfarlane toys and have no interest in figures like Two Face. I would go crazy for the original Marvel & DC figures remade though.
I ordered Green Lantern and the Flash, as I always wanted Mego to produce them back in the 70s. Unlike Mattel's horrible attempt at 8-inch DC figures from several years ago, the current figures perfectly capture how GL and Flash would have appeared with Mego sculpts. There's no hesitation about getting Joker, Riddler & Penguin, however, in the event the female heroes are produced, I will pass; I was not fond of the figures in the 70s, thinking they appeared like the kind of knock-off junk one would see with companies such as AHI.

Hopefully, Mego gets the Marvel license--I would love to get Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, the Falcon and the Hulk.
Beneath Wayne Manor
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

We were mostly DC fans, we certainly knew who all the Marvel Characters were-- we had Spidey, Cap, Falcon, Hulk, FF, Goblin and the Lizard-- we all passed on Thor --seemed like a girl toy with the hair and for some reason we didn't know him. We were never into the Alter Egos or the Teen Titans either. Funny how the kid brain works.
My brother ended up with all the Marvel characters, but he was never really into comics the way I was, so it may have just been another case of "Little Brother Syndrome." He always got stuck playing Robin to my Batman, Tonto to my Lone Ranger, etc, so it could have been he simply ended up with the Marvel Megos because they were what was left after I'd gobbled up the cool DC's. He did have Aquaman, but that just kind of makes my point.

Two figs we would never go for were The Hulk and the Thing. Didn't care for the bodies on those, and we weren't into monsters. And even if we were, they were far from intimidating since they were smaller than the other figures. You know something's wrong when The Incredible Hulk is shorter than Mr Mxyzptlk. :lol:

It was unfortunate the line debuted in that brief sliver of time where Catwoman was wearing that fugly Frank Robbins-designed costume with the stupid tail. But the likelihood of me getting any "girl" figures was nil, anyway. Today it might be a different story -- maybe I'd be interested -- but at the time all my toys were bought for me by my parents and relatives, and at that age and in that era it took real confidence for a boy to ask for a girl "doll." That would start tongues wagging for sure. Anyway, there wasn't much incentive since I hated the look of "rooted hair." Once you took off that clear plastic headband they shipped in, you had *maybe* a day of play before the hairdo was an irretrievably frizzy mess, like that cartoon of the Pink Panther emerging from the clothes dryer.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

SprangFan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:25 am
Two figs we would never go for were The Hulk and the Thing. Didn't care for the bodies on those, and we weren't into monsters. And even if we were, they were far from intimidating since they were smaller than the other figures. You know something's wrong when The Incredible Hulk is shorter than Mr Mxyzptlk. :lol:
To be fair, the early comic-book Hulk was illustrated as being shorter than Thor and Iron Man. Perhaps Mego was trying to form the 1st Avengers line-up, starting with a shorter Hulk? ;)
Beneath Wayne Manor
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

As far as that goes, there never seemed to be consensus on how tall Ben was, either. Sometimes he looked shorter than Johnny and Reed, other times not. But judging by their Captain America and Tarzan figs (and that huge Mxy), I'm not convinced Mego was slavishly devoted to comic-accuracy.

Anyway it was a moot point with the Hulk as I couldn't see him for dirt. Sure he was powerful, but he was also mentally impaired. Many a school recess was spent arguing with friends over who would win, Superman or the Hulk. My stance was that however evenly matched they were in power, the guy with a working brain would always win.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."