Mego 50th Anniversary-- The Return!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Lou Szabo

Re: Mego 50th Anniversary-- The Return!

Post by Lou Szabo »

I remember these at Kresge - just a wave of them. I was not into toys by that time, and my first thought was that's not the 66 Batman, so I bought Spidey and Cap. Ironically Spidey was not the right costume either, with the webbing branching out from the Spider on the chest. Wish I had more paper route money, but the Aurora models were being rereleased and I had to have those (all but Tarzan).

Now I have those figures, even had the Batmobile.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hey Sprangfan,
After seeing Your picture, Imho, You look MORE like Supes than George, Chris, or any of the others do :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Cheers!
Larry
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:48 am
Larry A. wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:33 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OOOOPPPPPSSSS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think Sharper Image might be selling Time Machines. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Sprang I was with you, Green Arrow was the best figure in Mego's whole line, but it was also pretty close to the last one they made. I'm cool with Green Lantern, but if you want him to be like the other 1972 figures, give him a removable mask and oven mitts!

You lost me with your slight of Tarzan-- the body suit was awesome! So much better than the naked legs of Robin the Boy Target.
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Mego toys are my favorite toys of all time. I look at them and go right back to my seven-year-old self-standing on the isles of K-Mart and ogling the wall of Mego toys. I had them all many times over. I also remember going to my mother's house and learning she sold all of my toys that I had packed away. or just threw them all out. We are talking Megos, Big Jim's, Gi-Joes, Star Wars, built models and so many more. I have since replaced many of them and I tell each new one that they will like their new adopted home and they are loved. lol

I'm excited for the new ones but actually would be more excited for the Marvel ones to be released since Figures Toys has done many of the DC figures already. Love that they are the box versions.

BTW, I wasn't in love with Tarzan at the time but of course I do now...body suit and all. Give it to me!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I don't think there was any way to win with Tarzan in a figure line that involved clothing. It certainly wouldn't have looked good to have his bare limbs exposed, especially with the Type 1 bodies' metal pins at all the joints. And people might have felt like they were getting cheated paying for a "costume" of a simple loincloth when the other figures in the line had full bodysuits, capes and those oven mitts for pizza parties at the Hall of Justice. But even as a wee lad I couldn't get over the ridiculous notion of Tarzan laboring with a needle and thread to fashion a heavy fabric costume to wear in the jungle, especially one designed to look like "flesh." And then for good measure he added on that huge animal skin like he hadn't worn since Elmo Lincoln days!

On the bright side, Mego Tarzan had easily the best face sculpt of any of the Wave 1 figures, right down to the awesome Neil Diamond sideburns. And it may have been the last time he was widely considered one of the "World's Greatest Superheroes." He seems to be largely forgotten in the 21st century, which is a shame given what an awesome character he is.

I'm choosing to view GL as the next figure Mego would have got around to if the line didn't die out. They'd already figured out a way to get around those idiotic oven mitts by the time they did GA, so I'm thinking they wouldn't have gone back to them.

That said, I admit it runs counter to the "Anniversary" theme to jump from the genesis of the line to one step beyond the end of it, all in one wave.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I can identify with Randy, but with a twist. We had a guy named Goulardi in Cleveland late night Friday showing and mocking scary movies. You will know him better as Ernie Anderson, the voice of ABC. Anyway he used to blow up toys on the show, like GIJoes and Aurora models. Needles to say, my talking GIJoe was blown apart, my Creature and Mummy models were melted, and so on. Little brothers, Argh! In 2016 I cleared out the rest of my original Megos, Batmobile and Spidermobile, along with a bunch of Comics, posters and other rarities (Marvel Treasury Editions and DC first editions including a hardcover Detective 27. It was a tough day.... but love these new versions, and some of the others i’ve Assembled. I hear they plan to bring out the original 13 DC figures. Have not seen any Marvel news. Plus I have a 1/9 Batmobile coming in the new year, so that will be a project after I get the Spider-mobile together.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Whose 1/9th scale Batmobile, Lou?
Larry
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

There were 14 original DC characters not counting the Teen Titans so who are they leaving out? 6 male heroes are done. There were 4 villains and 4 gals
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Larry
A 3D printed Batmobile kit by Danger Zone Graphics. See their FB page

The one sixth is pictured below. Non-opening doors and hoods, perfect for Megos/FTC
297299526_5555629987822998_8123282445279835995_n.jpg
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:13 pm Sprang I was with you, Green Arrow was the best figure in Mego's whole line, but it was also pretty close to the last one they made. I'm cool with Green Lantern, but if you want him to be like the other 1972 figures, give him a removable mask and oven mitts!

You lost me with your slight of Tarzan-- the body suit was awesome! So much better than the naked legs of Robin the Boy Target.
Andy, what's wrong with the oven mitts? I'll have you know my 1972 removable mask Batman used his to bake the best Bat-cookies Shaggy and Scooby ever tasted! :lol:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Lou Szabo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:23 pm I can identify with Randy, but with a twist. We had a guy named Goulardi in Cleveland late night Friday showing and mocking scary movies. You will know him better as Ernie Anderson, the voice of ABC. Anyway he used to blow up toys on the show, like GIJoes and Aurora models. Needles to say, my talking GIJoe was blown apart, my Creature and Mummy models were melted, and so on. Little brothers, Argh! In 2016 I cleared out the rest of my original Megos, Batmobile and Spidermobile, along with a bunch of Comics, posters and other rarities (Marvel Treasury Editions and DC first editions including a hardcover Detective 27. It was a tough day.... but love these new versions, and some of the others i’ve Assembled. I hear they plan to bring out the original 13 DC figures. Have not seen any Marvel news. Plus I have a 1/9 Batmobile coming in the new year, so that will be a project after I get the Spider-mobile together.
Lou, in Detroit back in the day we had The Ghoul who was a sort of rip on Ghoulardi but what with his wearing a toilet seat around his neck, a weird bathing cap, and sunglasses missing a lense, he was just as fun and nutty as Ernie seems to have been. The Ghoul was on Saturday night on UHF channel 50 showing Godzilla, Hammer Horror, and all that. Channel 7 would show the 1966 Batman movie once or twice a year which was always a 'must-see' for me and all my school pals. Talking G.I. Joes, I remember you could actually shave their beards off with a shaving razor, although you'd never hear the tag-line, "Clean-shaven G.I. Joe... By Marx!" In any event, it's great hearing people's memories about their Mego figures. I only had the one Batman because my dad hated anything about action figures be it Mego, G.I. Joe, Johnny West, Big Jim, The Six Million Dollar Man, etc. He went absolutely ballistic ruining Christmas morning for everyone when I got both the Evel Knievel stunt cycle and scramble van. Ah, good times. ;)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

Yellow Oval wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:04 am
I only had the one Batman because my dad hated anything about action figures be it Mego, G.I. Joe, Johnny West, Big Jim, The Six Million Dollar Man, etc. He went absolutely ballistic ruining Christmas morning for everyone when I got both the Evel Knievel stunt cycle and scramble van. Ah, good times. ;)
[/quote]

Your Dad hated them because they were dolls?
That's pretty sad.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

Yellow Oval wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:04 am
Lou Szabo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:23 pm I can identify with Randy, but with a twist. We had a guy named Goulardi in Cleveland late night Friday showing and mocking scary movies. You will know him better as Ernie Anderson, the voice of ABC. Anyway he used to blow up toys on the show, like GIJoes and Aurora models. Needles to say, my talking GIJoe was blown apart, my Creature and Mummy models were melted, and so on. Little brothers, Argh! In 2016 I cleared out the rest of my original Megos, Batmobile and Spidermobile, along with a bunch of Comics, posters and other rarities (Marvel Treasury Editions and DC first editions including a hardcover Detective 27. It was a tough day.... but love these new versions, and some of the others i’ve Assembled. I hear they plan to bring out the original 13 DC figures. Have not seen any Marvel news. Plus I have a 1/9 Batmobile coming in the new year, so that will be a project after I get the Spider-mobile together.
Lou, in Detroit back in the day we had The Ghoul who was a sort of rip on Ghoulardi but what with his wearing a toilet seat around his neck, a weird bathing cap, and sunglasses missing a lense, he was just as fun and nutty as Ernie seems to have been. The Ghoul was on Saturday night on UHF channel 50 showing Godzilla, Hammer Horror, and all that. Channel 7 would show the 1966 Batman movie once or twice a year which was always a 'must-see' for me and all my school pals. Talking G.I. Joes, I remember you could actually shave their beards off with a shaving razor, although you'd never hear the tag-line, "Clean-shaven G.I. Joe... By Marx!" In any event, it's great hearing people's memories about their Mego figures. I only had the one Batman because my dad hated anything about action figures be it Mego, G.I. Joe, Johnny West, Big Jim, The Six Million Dollar Man, etc. He went absolutely ballistic ruining Christmas morning for everyone when I got both the Evel Knievel stunt cycle and scramble van. Ah, good times. ;)
Between the Ghoul and Sir Graves Ghastly, I was half scared to death to watch tv late at night, or Saturday afternoon for that matter. For me Kresgee at Northland Mall and KMart at Tel Twelve Mall had everything a Mego , GI Joe, or Marx collector could ever want! I sure miss those stores.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Lou Szabo wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:27 am Larry
A 3D printed Batmobile kit by Danger Zone Graphics. See their FB page

The one sixth is pictured below. Non-opening doors and hoods, perfect for Megos/FTC
297299526_5555629987822998_8123282445279835995_n.jpg
Thanks Lou. Maybe I can get a Mego scale 1950 Bat Mobile!
Larry