Mego 50th Anniversary-- The Return!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
AndyFish

Mego 50th Anniversary-- The Return!

Post by AndyFish »

Mego 01.jpg
Well I can't believe Mego is 50 years old-- I don't know how many other old guys like me were there at the beginning-- but I remember discovering Mego at a department store with my mom like it was yesterday. Well the "Official" Mego company returned a couple of years ago-- 2018 I think- and while Figures Toy Company has been making "Mego" figures there is something about the real company returning. In honor of the event Mego is re-releasing the first five figures they did (slight cheat-- first five included Tarzan but they don't have that license although I'm pretty sure he's public domain now)-- Batman, Robin (both removable masks), Superman, Shazam and Aquaman! They're also doing Green Lantern which they never did in the original run so not sure how that makes any sense for the 50th.

I'm in for the re-releases because of nostalgia, and they're up for pre-order now at fine online retailers like Entertainment Earth and Big Bad Toy Store (Search Mego 5oth). For some reason BBTS lists Batman and Robin as Classic TV show figures--but they are these-- which, when we were kids, DID fill in for Adam and Burt.

Best thing about the new Mego over the FTC re-releases is the much more posable bodies-- these are great-- I think they are bandless but they can be posed and hold a LOT more positions than the old ones...
Mego 03.jpg
Fifty years! Man time flies. Glad these old friends are coming back, I promise the Toy Elders that I won't bury these in the dirt like I did with my originals probably 48 years ago.

For you youngin's who might not know, the original line as it was released featured solid boxes which ended up becoming the back cover of the window boxes...
Mego 02.jpg
So as a wee lad those on the right of the pic is all that was in the display-- I remember being so excited when I saw they were actual dolls, before these I had an old Captain Action with a Batman suit but I always hated the idea of changing the costume to make the figure the Phantom-- another favorite of mine-- so it was great to have figures that were solely who they were supposed to be.

Mego stopped making the full boxes and switched to Window Boxes because kids were tearing open the solid boxes to see the figures.
rickkrefft

Re: Mego 50th Anniversary-- The Return!

Post by rickkrefft »

I can’t wait for these. So hoping Penguin, Joker, Catwoman and Riddler are coming too.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Rumor is they're doing the whole DC line-- the one's they did originally and some new takes. I heard from a designer friend that a developer in China is looking at the vintage figures when recreating these. No word on Marvel characters yet.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Personally, I'm sorta "Meh" about Marvel except maybe Iron Man and Thor, but DC?????? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially removable cowl Batman and Removable mask Robin.

I hope they do Batgirl, Supergirl and Wonder Woman as well. A new 66 series would just about make my happiness quotent full!

Cheers!
Larry
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

BTW, How soon will these be out, please?
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

First wave is listed as coming out in October.
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

Batgirl is confirmed. They showed her belt in production at the factory. I don’t care for Marvel much, but I’d buy Thor, Captain America, Hulk and Spider-Man. I don’t see it happening though.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

AndyFish wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:54 am First wave is listed as coming out in October.
Thankee kindly, Andy!

Cheers!!!!!
Larry
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

I got the first four at a Sears in St. Louis
Solid boxes like Andy said, just amazing memories
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

You mean St. Louis still has Sears?????????????? Which one as I hope to get back to visit St. Lou and my Sister in the near term.
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Larry I think Mike meant fifty years ago.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OOOOPPPPPSSSS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Larry A. wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:33 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OOOOPPPPPSSSS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think Sharper Image might be selling Time Machines. ;)
Bryan Grantham

Post by Bryan Grantham »

I am approaching 58 years old....I remember the first time I saw Mego Batman was on the school playground. A classmate was using the rotted out area in a railroad tie as a "batcave". I remember thinking how odd the removable mask looked, then realizing I didn't care...it was BATMAN! Christmas morning, 5:30 a.m., I received both Batman and Robin...but, different as the masks were painted on. This didn't bother me for very long 🙂. Thanks for kicking up a good memory. I hope there are plenty of people out there able to appreciate that these figures are back.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I absolutely remember the day I first saw the first wave of Megos in those awesome boxes. I'd just spent an agonizingly long day tagging along with my folks as they went car shopping in Norfolk, VA (finally settling on a yellow Country Squire station wagon with imitation wood paneling...makes you wonder how awful the other options must have been) and this discovery almost made it all worth it. I may have only ended up with Superman, I don't remember. For sentimental reasons he's still my favorite even if the face sculpt looks less like Superman than I do. A Christmas or two later my brother and I hit the jackpot: Batman, Robin, Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Batcycle and Bat-Cave all in one haul. Good times.

It may go against the whole "anniversary" vibe as Andy says, but that Green Lantern looks fantastic, and it would be great to finally have him to partner with Green Arrow, who was hands down the best-looking superhero Mego ever did from either Marvel or DC.

Tarzan is no great loss as that flesh-colored bodysuit was all kinds of stupid.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."