Hot Toys Batman need some reference photos

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Hot Toys Batman need some reference photos

Post by Scott Sebring »

Dragon made generic bodies for customizers.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

The only licensed manufactured 1/6 scale '66 Batman figures were by Hot Toys and Mattel (Ken in his Batman suit). I don't think I'm forgetting anyone.
I'm with Ben and Scott-- Dragon makes bodies, and the suit and the belt look like Wes' to me.

The figures being advertised on various sites as coming soon are not legitimate. They are Asian country bootlegs who are ripping off the hard work of Howard Chan and his team at Hot Toys. You want Hot Toys to continue making toys? Don't support people who steal from them. Easy as that.

I've got no problem with companies like Inner Circle who make their own custom figures, not everyone can afford the Hot Toys figures, but they don't steal the sculpt and work of Howard. Same way I support anyone making a Batman Cowl, just don't buy one of Chuck's or his pattern and use it to make yours, that's unfair to the research and development and sweat of Chuck and Lynne.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Totally agree with you, but this head sculpt maybe is from say year 2000 and then someone upgraded the body and upgraded the belt, so hopefully it isn't a rip off of a licensed manufacture. If something is marketed and is well done and it's profitable its bound to be copied and bootlegged, so it up to the individual to make that decision to purchase the knock-off or not.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Here is the back of the belt buckle from the top. It's metal, has some metal "belt straps" running down the back on both sides, with a piece of dark foam behind the belt in this area. Is this HT or Wes' ?
Attachments
belt.jpg
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:01 pm Thanks for all the input! I did see some Worthpoint ones but missed these.
The body is marked Dragon Models LTD. I could not find this exact body type nor any Batman figure they produced. The bat sticker on the chest is shiny, the belt looks to be Hot Toys,that's why I asked for some detail on the HT belt. The boots (mine even have molded nail indents around the bottom of the heels and stitching around the soles) and gloves might look like the ones Ben posted with a different suit on it. I'm very happy with this, don't know why there aren't more like this around? I didn't buy HT Batman/Robin, had I know JazzInc was to make a 1:6th '66 I would have bought them when they came out. It's still a mystery who made this, it is high quality and looks manufactured, but hopefully someone will chime in with a maker?
I've continued down the rabbit hole on this and having ruled out Wes/Classick Plastick, I decided to look up an old name that used to be a familiar one on this Message Board back in the 2005-2007ish: "Rick Ratto" or more recently "Rick's Raiders" on eBay.

I'm going to say that based on everything i'm seeing, I think AP's figure was made by Rick but has a Hot Toys belt on it.

There's a ton of photos of Rick's great work in the article below! His villains are pretty darn cool, too!
https://patchesofpride.wordpress.com/20 ... n-figures/
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

That very well could be the maker, not that photo you show Ben as my gloves are different but this one also by Rick looks to be it and the boots also seem to match. Don't know if Rick is still around but I just sent an email to him.
Attachments
rr12.jpg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I agree it is not Hot Toys. You could buy components on eBay as people part out components or rip off the factory and sell piec parts. Hopefully you didn’t overpay. With prices on these pieces rising faster than ever, and bootleggers creating fakes, it’s time to release a new batch...
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

I knew 100% it was not Hot Toys, but the outfit and belt looked like theirs. I just though perhaps maybe an early comic-con/show version prior to the official modified release, but as I said I'm glad I got it as I don't have a 1:6th AW Batman, now I do.
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Rick confirmed that my Adam West figure is one of his customs made about 4-5 year ago. His oldest version was about 16 years ago. He is still making them but improved along with all the other Batman characters, he says 30 of them! You can contact him at ricksraiders1@earthlink.net Thanks Ben and everyone for the info that solves that mystery!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

A. Pennyworth wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:01 pm Rick confirmed that my Adam West figure is one of his customs made about 4-5 year ago. His oldest version was about 16 years ago. He is still making them but improved along with all the other Batman characters, he says 30 of them! You can contact him at ricksraiders1@earthlink.net Thanks Ben and everyone for the info that solves that mystery!
Always happy to help! I love a Bat-Mystery to be solved!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Rick's villains shown in that article are out of site!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

:o
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Lou Szabo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:56 am I think that’s a Wes McCue Batman. Looks like the head , Suit and Body of his. I did a tutorial of these back in the day with Wes’ input and used a Soldier of the World figure type he recommended. The head is epoxied onto the body. I think with parts and box I was into it for almost as much as he charged for the complete product. Still a nice piece to have in your collection
It's already been determined and confirmed that it isn't. Read the other posts for details.
Case closed.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Missed that post oops
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Not sure what it is about Batman's cowl that makes it so tough to get "right" in 3D-- this one misses the mark, but so does Hot Toys IMO (although in Hot Toys case it's because they used the movie cowl which I'm not a big fan of), FTC's painted on Cowl figure is lousy, the removable cowl figure is better but of course the mask is huge. I think Mattel did a decent job on it, and the Barbie KEN Figure actually had a pretty decent cowl. Neca knocked it out of the park IMO (again this is a IMO heavy post so please take measure of that). McFarlane is pretty good. Wonderland Toys did a great job with the talking Batman and I even like the cowl on the Tonner figure.

For my money though, Wes McCue's Adam West Cowl is the best job to date.