1:1 1966 Batcuffs finally

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Lou Szabo

1:1 1966 Batcuffs finally

Post by Lou Szabo »

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... m_content=
Bat Cuffs
Bat Cuffs
Product Description

A key piece of the Batman utility belt arsenal, the Bat-Cuffs represent a symbol of Batman's code of honor itself. Criminals must face justice at the hands of the United States legal system, or what has been coined as Batman's "no-killing" rule, which became an official part of Batman lore all the way back in Batman issue #4 (1940), when Batman tells Robin, "Remember, we never kill with weapons of any kind."

Paragon FX Group and Warner Brothers have partnered to bring you this 1:1 scale prop replica which will look as good on your shelf as it will on your utility belt. Team Paragon painstakingly researched all available reference prior to bringing this piece to life.

Limited to only 500 units worldwide, these Bat-Cuffs are certain to become a cherished part of your collection.

Note: The Bat-Cuffs are intended for display only. While they can be closed by way of a magnetic clasp, they are not intended to hold or otherwise restrain any arch villains.

Product Features

1/1 Scale
Made of weighted ABS and mixed media
Based on the 1966 Batman TV series
Intended for display only
Limited edition of 500
Box Contents

Bat-cuffs prop replica June 2023 shipment
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
IAMBATMAN

Re: 1:1 1966 Batcuffs finally

Post by IAMBATMAN »

I reserved my set! I also bought their version of The 1966 Bat Radio! It's awesome!!!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Great item, but seems a bit pricey.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

As with everything, it's each to their own and I say the following with that in mind given that I know some folks here have placed their preorder for these cuffs and who am I to get in the way of that, BUT...

I'd love to own a decent set of Bat-Cuffs, but for me these are not the one. Yet again, their overall shapes and dimensions are off in my opinion...

As I remarked upon the announcement of Paragon's Radio and Shield, my issue with them is the line that they keep insisting on using in their press releases; "Team Paragon painstakingly researched all available reference prior to bringing this piece to life.". It's just categorically not true and the worst part of it is that the statement's sole purpose is to justify the premium price point that they're pitching their products at. There are collectors out there who are willing to pay decent money for solid work, this forum is pretty much a shrine to that (I'm looking at Chuck and Lynne), but Paragon FX has not so far put their money where their mouth is with any of their '66 TV props. At 1/3rd of the price and without the hyperbole, I would not being taking these issues in the same fashion.
Batman - S01E00 Spotlight 003 - Getty ID 103654134.jpg
Batman - S01E01 173 - Getty ID 103656571.jpg
Batman - S01E01 145 - Getty ID 103654850.jpg
Batman - S01E01 145 - Getty ID 103654850.jpg
Batman - S01E01 168 - Getty ID 103655547.jpg
Batman - S01E01 167 - Getty ID 103655879.jpg
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Yes something looked a bit off on the replica cuffs offered and they are off as compared to this original prop photo. The wrists holes are more circular and not oval thus the entire cuffs should be a bit more elongated.
Attachments
cuffs.jpg
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I did as much research as possible and created as accurate cuffs as I could trying to get the shape correct down to the screws. I love that 66 props are still being produced but I do agree with Ben that they shouldn't be claiming they have accurate designs.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230209_211547.jpg
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

rsaffle wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:22 pm I did as much research as possible and created as accurate cuffs as I could trying to get the shape correct down to the screws. I love that 66 props are still being produced but I do agree with Ben that they shouldn't be claiming they have accurate designs.
Wow!! Those look MUCH more like the real thing!

Agree with Ben. I get it. It’s great that they offer something from the show for those who want them, but I see a huge difference between what they are offering and what
A. Pennyworth posted, especially for the claim they are making and the price point.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Thanks for sharing that photo from your collection AP, I think I have it saved somewhere from a previous thread, but I didn't have the time to go through my hard drives and I knew I had those pilot images I posted on hand.

Just like with the Paragon Radio I think we're going to see very clearly once these cuffs are in hand, (and we have some sense of scale and proportion) that they are way off the mark in sizing. They've definitely gone with a "chunkier" look, with a view to probably making them appear substantial as opposed to the fairly flimsy nature of the original prop. A decision that is arguably rooted in justifying the cost rather than pursuing accuracy.

Please don't get me wrong, i'm thrilled that even ten years into the merchandise license, we're still getting a really cool selection of stuff at different price points for different kinds of collectors and fans of the show. Overall, i'm a really supportive person and even if an item or style of item doesn't appeal to my taste, I always try and be excited for those fans who are into it, most of the regulars here know this. But there are scenarios where that good grace just cannot be extended blindly. I can only speak to the '66 TV Batman license as i'm not invested enough as a fan of the other franchises that they deal with, but Paragon FX are trading at a premium price-range and using "premium" semantics to push items that simply do not hold up to the quality of "research" that they claim.

The irony being is that the research part of bringing a product like this to market does not have to cost the earth. Much like with the Bat-Radio, a 30 to 45-minute session with Google yields a wealth of information and original reference imagery from not only our Message Board but RPF and other sites far and wide across the web. With the photos in this thread alone (which are already out there online elsewhere), it baffles me that a designer could look at these same images, make the decision to disavow the shapes and proportions that can even be eyeballed without measurements AND then have the gall to tell people that they "painstakingly researched all available reference". As BiffPow said, Randy's take on the Cuffs look great! They do indeed look way closer to the real thing as far as the shapes and details he has recreated, he does this all without drawing any lines in the sand or making claims that can be unsubstantiated within seconds of comparison to a photo of the originals. As always, he did the work, asked the questions and used his great eye as a designer to get him to the finish line.

We've talked a lot over the years here on the Board about the notion of "idealizing" prop and costume replicas to make them appear more akin to what someone might imagine they would look like in their minds eye. That's cool too, everyone has their right to create whatever they see fit. You can describe your items as "based on" or "inspired by" but you can't have it both ways. You don't get to pat yourself on the back for your extensive research and accuracy and then expect to not get called out on that when the language doesn't live up to the reality of your items.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I just hit my "I agree with Ben!" button. With the help of A.P.'s photo, I can make my own and be accurate AND cheap in terms of price. Thank You A.P.!
Larry
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

2009 Bat Cuffs
2009 Bat Cuffs
My set I bought in 2009 or so.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

8A1A8163-D5DA-4197-8440-932E33F39511.jpeg
F824DF99-FEBC-4053-96BD-6416DFE5CAF5.jpeg
New photos. Nice box

More photos here
https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/b ... 31870.html