Burgess Meredith Penguin

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
BenaeQuee

Burgess Meredith Penguin

Post by BenaeQuee »

I started this project for my husband (Will) as he's wanted it for some time, but I'd never had the time to get it completed for him with everything I was always doing for myself. It was a lot easier once I realized I didn't have to make a tuxedo/suit for him. His bowtie in these pics was last minute, so it's not accurate at all. This post will eventually be updated with better pictures, hopefully by NYCC.

Materials/Parts I Used:
Morning Suit off eBay - it came with the dark grey pinstripe pants which was awesome
Pique Collar Tux Shirt off eBay
Dress shoes and umbrella he had already
Monocle, Cigarette Holder, and short gloves also off eBay (making gloves eventually)
Vest and Spats were drafted by me and made from a furry fabric I got from Joann Fabrics online
Caroler Top Hat from eBay
Fabric Spray Paint - Spray It New brand paint from their site in Lavender
His nose was made by a friend who is awesome at appliance work

Sorry I'm in these pics too, but I don't have a good one of just him, we completely forgot to take pics in the rush of Dragon*Con.

Meule

Re: Burgess Meredith Penguin

Post by Meule »

He really looks the part; well done
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

You guys look GREAT!!!

WELL DONE and congratulations on putting it all together!!

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

It turned out great! Excellent!
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Supaaaa job !!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Your cosplays are always Fannn-tastic !

well done
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

Well done, looks great!
I act the riddler

Post by I act the riddler »

How does the monacle stay in your eye?
Please do not embed videos into signatures.
- The management.
BenaeQuee

Post by BenaeQuee »

We used Spirit gum. The trick is to make sure the area with the spirit gum is clean and dry. Hold your piece up and then put the spirit gum where it touches the skin. You then have to make it tacky by dabbing at it. Once it's good and tacky, you can put the piece in and it will stick. His stayed all of Thursday night at Dragon Con and then Sunday night when we did photos. However, it did not fare well in the Atlanta heat/humidity for too long on Friday during the Gotham shoot.
Strapped-4-Cache

Thread Necromancy

Post by Strapped-4-Cache »

New member here. My apologies for the thread necromancy if this may have been answered elsewhere, but my search for information didn't return many results. The comments in this thread seemed promising, but I'm unable to see the pics. :/

I've begun to work on a Penguin costume for next year's DragonCon based on Burgess Meredith's character, but am having difficulty in finding good pics of the full outfit. There's all sorts of pictures from mid-waist up, but very few clear shots of anything lower. I already own a morning suit with the traditional hickory-stripe pants, but am unsure if the pants are correct for the the character on screen.

In addition, I need to get to work on the top hat and matching tie need to be sure they get done properly and in time. As much as I'd like to use my black silk top hat, it's not right for the character. Can anyone tell me if using spray dye on a white wool top hat is easier or harder than a satin top hat? I'd prefer the look of the wool, but don't want to make the job any harder than it needs to be. While I'm asking, what material should the bow tie be made from? The pics I've seen don't appear to show a satin tie, but something a bit less "shiny".

The wasistcoat/vest appears to be flocked and go right up to the collar, so that seems to be something that will have to be scratch-built along with the flocked gloves, but the spats, monocle, cigarette holder and umbrella seem to be fairly standard. Then there's the nasal appliance...

If anyone has advice regarding the bits & pieces for the costume I'd appreciate the guidance.

Thanks,

- Mark
E-2 Robin

Post by E-2 Robin »

Finally get to dress up as the Penguin. This weekend I have to re-paint the hat, the fabric spray says lavender but came out fuchsia! Also I can't wait to try the Penguin nose and the make-up to apply! PHEW! That will be a challenge! More pictures after Wizard World (Jan 8th-10th)
Attachments
p.n. gwynn.jpg
E-2 Robin

Post by E-2 Robin »

My campaign poster (at the end of my Umbrella no less) Tomorrow!! Wagh Wagh Wagh!
Attachments
pengy peoples's pick JPEG.jpg
E-2 Robin

Post by E-2 Robin »

Today New Orleans, tomorrow the world! Wizard World today and Saturday for me!
Attachments
Pengy 2.JPG
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

E-2 Robin wrote:Today New Orleans, tomorrow the world! Wizard World today and Saturday for me!
You look great! Nice job on the costume, I hope it goes down well at the con!

If you're ever looking to upgrade your Pengy campaign poster, here are two great re-creations that our own Lee Kirkham did a few years ago which are available to download from the "Bat Art" section of our site... http://www.66batman.com/2015/07/05/426/ ... ee-kirkham

E-2 Robin

Post by E-2 Robin »

Extraordinary! Extraordinary!!! Wagh!
Greatness!! I have to use this next time! Thanks a lot for them! :D
Larry :shock: