Batman and Catwoman: an art commission by Tom Grummett

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Mr. Comic Book

Batman and Catwoman: an art commission by Tom Grummett

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

I've been fortunate enough to commission legendary DC/Marvel artist Tom Grummett thrice courtesy of his representatives on Statue Forum. For those of you unfamiliar with his work, Grummett was DC's go-to guy during the bulk of the '90s, working for nearly a decade on the various Superman books, launching the Robin solo book during the "Knightfall" arc, co-creating The Power Company with Kurt Busiek, and doing the various Titans books from the '80s all the way until recent years. He opens up a commission list every so often when he gets breaks from his current gig at Marvel Licensing, so me being me, I have to hop on when time and funds allow.

The first time I commissioned him, I got his take on Max Fleischer's Superman. The second time I commissioned him, I got him to do Sandy from Grease. (It should be said that Grummett draws beautiful women better than most anybody else in comics.) This time around? Well...

This marked his first time ever drawing Catwoman in her 1966 costume; usually he does the purple dress/green cape version, so this was a nice change of pace for him. It was also the first time he'd done a kind of romance novel-style take on Batman and Catwoman, and I've got to say, he really sank his teeth into it. There's a lot of Adam West and Julie Newmar in the characters' personalities here, and I applaud it. It makes the piece feel that much more authentic.

Anyway, there it is. I hope you like it as much as I do.
clavierankh

Re: Batman and Catwoman: an art commission by Tom Grummett

Post by clavierankh »

Purr-fect!
Mr. Comic Book

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

clavierankh wrote:Purr-fect!
That it is. :mrgreen:
Bob

Post by Bob »

Well done. I hope you find a place to display it

I was going back and forth with artist Al Rio on a commish. Now that he is gone I wish we had made that deal
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfect Art.
Mr. Comic Book

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

By the by, if anyone would like to see more of Mr. Grummett's Batman art, Comic Art Fans has a nice selection of it. Just punch in "tom grummett [insert name of batman-related character]" to the search engine on the site and you're good to go:

http://www.comicartfans.com/

And just for fun, here are the other commissions he's done for me. They're not Batman-related, but they are nice all the same.

Superman

and Sandy

I definitely plan to have him do a Poison Ivy piece at some point, but I'd also like to see him tackle Star Trek, George Pal's War of the Worlds, He-Man, Flash Gordon, and James Bond eventually as well. The man's versatility is astounding.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Love the pose on the "Superman"
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Thanks for including the Superman picture! I was about to ask if you could post it when I saw it down in the thread. :)

Love that Batman/Catwoman art, too. :)

Oh, and NOTHING against Bob, but if you go to deviantart, be warned! Not all of the pictures there are work-safe or appropriate for children! I just don't want anyone to get in any kind of trouble1
Bob

Post by Bob »

Good point, I will take it down
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

What great drawings!
Now where did I put my crayons? I'm real good at staying inside the lines... :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Mr. Comic Book

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

I've actually gotten requests to ink these drawings on and off. Some inkers want to do it right over the pencils, others want to ink over bluelines (specialized pencil scans made for comic book production). I haven't decided if I want to do either yet. If I do get these inked, I'd want it done by inkers who are known for keeping loyal to the pencil art. So we'll see what happens down the road.

I will say this: the Batman/Catwoman art alone would be an inker's dream due to all the detail in it. They could really go to town with that.
RuxieCat121

Post by RuxieCat121 »

My God, that artwork is gorgeous!

~Heather
Mr. Comic Book

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

RuxieCat121 wrote:My God, that artwork is gorgeous!

~Heather
There's more where that comes from, as I have a mini-theme in my art collection of Batman and Catwoman together:
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=129414

It's actually pretty rare that I get Batman by himself. Usually when I commission Batman, Catwoman's with him. I tend to view them as inseparable. But that's the way love is, after all. ;)
RuxieCat121

Post by RuxieCat121 »

The one with her holding the cowl has been one of my favorites for a while. I see it around the net every once in a while. I love these!

~Heather
Jthree

Post by Jthree »

Guys! Does anyone know if Mr. Grummett or the owner of the original art, can put out autographed prints or copies of that incredible piece of work?

JThree
carolyn3@midco.net