Ken, no, Captain Action as TV's Batman

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: Ken, no, Captain Action as TV's Batman

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote:Won't fit on the new Cap, his shoulders are way too broad and the suit is already tight on the original. I switched mine back over to a vintage cap since I liked the way the cowl fit better. Pics soon, cleaning out the studio and things are a mess.
Hurry up!!

JK ;)

About the OP's custom--I think the lean body and visible torso muscles actually resemble early season one Adam (or "salad days" Adam).
Beneath Wayne Manor
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I opted for the no glove look to match the old Cap style-- his sleeves will actually pull down and his trunks look like they're riding low, but I can't expect my assistant to fix this for the pic I guess.
Regardless, there it is. I'll post a better pic when I get back in town.
Attachments
DSCN2285.JPG
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

And here's the real cap on the shelf below him-- with a Cape I found elsewhere-- always hated the plastic cape.
Attachments
DSCN2287.jpg
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I tried this using a Playing Mantis cap figure. Mixed results. Andy, did you use an Ideal Cap for yours?
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Pretty Neat Pictures.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

I'm liking the experiments in this thread! Keep them coming!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Wally, that's the Playing. Mantis version. The costume took a bit of effort to get on, but it got there.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

The PM Cap I have is a lot taller than the Ken, so the trunks never lined up to the crotch. Plus I had to split the trunks in the back to get them over Caps hips. I also had to split the bottoms of the sleeves to get his huge hands through the openings. But that'll be covered up with the gauntlets eventually. Oh well, this has been fun. I'm going to make new gauntlets and most likely a new cape. And Ken's boots won't even begin to fit unless I cut off half of Cap's feet. And that's no good. So I'll probably overspray a pair of Cap boots. They have the peak on the front of them like Batman's, but they have that molded in lightning bolt.

Onward and upward! Thanks!
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

It took quite awhile, but I'm almost finished with the Captain Action/Ken '66 Batman project.

I got a vintage '66 Captain Action and squeezed the Ken costume on to it. I made gauntlets and fins out of the same material I made the NECA Batcapes from.

I'm going to paint the hands and boots navy blue. Then it should be complete. I think it turned out pretty neat!
Attachments
CA 66 Bat.JPG
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

looks cool - great idea about painting the hands! Any idea if you could add skirting to the cowl?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I probably wouldn't. Not only am I trying to keep as much of the "Ken" costume in tact on this figure, but matching the fabric would be a near impossibility. God only knows where the Chinese manufacturer of these figures found the fabric they used for the cape, trunks and mittens.

The gauntlets had to be remade because of Cap's ample forearms. The mittens weren't fittin'!

As you can see in the photo the gauntlet fabric doesn't match the trunks very well, but cest la vie!
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Finished! I got some great Tamiya Dark Blue Metal spray paint and gave a quick shot to the Captain Action hands and boots. I'm VERY pleased with how it came out, and it looks MUCH better than the original KEN version.
Attachments
Ken Bat Final.JPG
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Always liked Captain Action. How great would that have been back in the day? Looks good!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

wally wingert wrote:Finished! I got some great Tamiya Dark Blue Metal spray paint and gave a quick shot to the Captain Action hands and boots. I'm VERY pleased with how it came out, and it looks MUCH better than the original KEN version.
I really like how this turned out buddy! Did you debate doing a skirt for the cowl?
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Thanks! Not going for the skirt, as matching the fabric would be too difficult. It's one thing if the fabric is a ways away from the rest of the fabric on the costume. It's not quite as noticeable. But the skirt would be right up next to the cowl and cape, and finding something that would match dead-on would be near impossible.

Plus, I'm trying to keep it as original "Ken" as possible; utilizing as many of the pieces that came with the original Mattel figure as I can. The only reason I changed the gloves and the boots is because the mittens and baby booties that came with Ken simply would not go on Cap.

Nope, I'm happy with the way it turned out and I believe it's finished. Now, on to the next project. Redressing the Figures, Inc. Joker in his appropriately colored fuschia colored costume! Details to come.