Bat Suit

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Batdave

Bat Suit

Post by Batdave »

I have started working on my Bat suit. Hopefully to complete in time for halloween. I have posted on my utility belt and hope to get back to that this weekend. I can't say enough great things about the resources on this board. So far I have found everything I need to know for putting the suit together. I work in New York City so I have been able to visit several of the places people have recommended to buy stuff. Last week I went to Spandex house to get the material for the gloves and trunks. It was very helpful since I had to look through a number of navy blue fabric rolls before I could find the best match to the cowl I bought from Will. I then went next door to Silk House and found navy woven satin for the cape. A friend's mom makes figure skating costumes for a living, so she is used to working with spandex and satin. I ordered Chucks pattern and gave it to her to make the gloves and cape. I have done some sewing myself so I am going to try to do the trunks.

Today I went to Onstage Dancewear to order the tights. They're only about 8 blocks from my office, so it was an easy trip. They were very helpful. I was ready to buy the tights in white supplex and dye them, but they actually had a grey that looked very close. It is really a cool blue-grey which is what I imagine the to correct color to be. For some of the other materials the grey is completely different. But this looked good. I was not too big on the idea of dying anyway, as we have a front loading washer. I ordered the 3x size (I'm 6 ft 220 lbs, need to loose a few) and the sales women said that would be the right call. She asked if i wanted to try some on but I really could not bring myself to do it there. With a cowl and cool belt ok. But in a store full of dancers, I don't think so.

I will update on my progress as it comes together.
Silverknight58

Re: Bat Suit

Post by Silverknight58 »

Quite a shopping trip! It's cool to be able to just walk in and get the stuff necessary, looking forward to seeing the complete enesemble!
BatBob

Post by BatBob »

Sounds great, Dave! Your lucky that they had a colored pair of Spandex there. ;)
Good call on the 3X! These things are TIGHT! lol

Good luck and have fun, Ol' Chum!
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

***Admin edit - Please refrain from posting any customer transaction or customer service issue/complaints for any company on the board. No vent zone. Please check our rules. On another note like the big bold red letters for this section says, discussing about assembling a costume with mostly ordered items unless you are customizing them considerably really should take place in the Merchandise Section. ***
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

***Admin edit - Please refrain from posting any customer transaction or customer service issue/complaints for any company on the board. please check our rules***

With very few options I went with a light grey unitard with a mock neck and zipper in the back. The color is a bit light and the material is a nylon with a bit of a sheen. It is not accurate but not horrible either. I still don't have the right boots, not to mention Batman's body, so I will consider this a work in progress. Now I have to cut an opening so I can go to the bathroom while wearing this thing.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

If it makes you feel any better, the original tights were 100% nylon and did have a slight sheen to them. They were not dead matte.
So sorry about the snafu!!

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

So I was able to complete my Batman Costume just in time for Chillercon. Well almost, there are still a few pieces that need to be tweaked. Here is what it consists of:

Silver Knight Cowl -Awesome
Cape - Made by a friend for Chuck's pattern. Came out great.
Trunks - Made by me from Chuck's pattern
Gloves - Made by the same person who made the cape, then revised by me. She only had an outline of my hand to go from and few pix. Not being a big batman fan she was working a bit blind. She put the fins on the top like a stegosaurus. I remove the glove part from the gauntlet and remade the gauntlet. They are no Gaspar gloves but the look great and were made with for about $10 in material.
Utility belt and buckle - Made by me
Nylon unitard from Onstage - not what I wanted but had to settle as the correct items I ordered were not made. It worked out ok and fits well. The color is off and I don't like the sheen, but I am going to try and dye it before buying something else. According to Rit, nylon can be dyed.
Boots - Super hero costume boot that I painted blue. Not quite right as they are too high, but the worked out in a pinch and only $50. Will eventually have to order real boots.
Pix below.
Attachments
Gloves
Gloves
IMG_1787.JPG (123.19 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
Back of the Utility Belt
Back of the Utility Belt
IMG_1786.JPG (30.84 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
Utility Belt
Utility Belt
IMG_1785.JPG (100.46 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
Me and Robin at Chiller
Me and Robin at Chiller
Batdave.jpg (109.16 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
First wearing, missing chest insignia
First wearing, missing chest insignia
Bat1.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

That turned out great and it looks like you had a lot of fun in it!

My first pair of boots I wore for SDCC before I was lucky enough to inherit some beautiful Duran Boots were a pair of generic "Hero" boots that I trimmed down to a more suitable height/shape and then spray painted.
BatBob

Post by BatBob »

Great pics, Dave! Came out SUPER!
Batmanish

Post by Batmanish »

I had a friend put in a small 6" zipper in the font of my tights.. Mine is an all in one.. I got it from SpandexMan.com and then dyed it according to Chuck Williams. Yes it is difficult not to have access in the front!
"Don't ever cry on my tights or pull my leg again."
Visit Chucks Homepage
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

looks batty great to me the belt is fantastic..