Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.
(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.
Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.
The end result completely negates the one thing I didn't like about this figure. Has anyone done this? Thoughts?
- NECA custom.jpeg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
Once I did that, I removed the belt, the gloves and the boots. Then I "draped and taped." Basically taking old junk fabric and Scotch tape and covering the areas of the figure that I wanted to clothe with the gray fabric.
The gray fabric has been in my storage since I made my first Batsuit back in 1980. It's a great blue/gray polyester. Once I got the pattern how I wanted it, I took it to my seamstress who cut it off the figure, and maid patterns out of it. She cut the gray fabric pieces, stitched them together, and put it on the figure. Then stitched the figure into the tunic permanently. She also made the leggings which can be tucked into the trunks.
The boots are the tough part. They fit very snugly on to the figure anyway, but when you add the extra millimeters of fabric, it makes it even more snug. I'm going to have her alter the pattern so the seam runs down the back of the legs (like on real Capezio tights) and that way if there's any overflow, it won't be that noticeable.
I Barge glued the ends of the sleeves and leggings on to the figure so the fabric wouldn't shift once I reattached the gloves and boots. I also glued the leggings to the top of the thighs just below the trunks to keep them smooth and uniform. Then I reattached the gloves, and glued the boots back on to the figure.
But once I tried to reattach the belt I realized a problem. Batman had gained weight! Because of the extra millimeters of fabric added to the figure, the belt wouldn't reattach, and was about an 1/8" shy of connecting on the front. So I split the belt up the back and added in a Velcro extender.
I had my seamstress take a pattern off the cape today, because I'm going to re-do that as well as soon as I can find the right fabric. The edges of the cape don't flare out like on the original capes (somebody at NECA didn't do their homework I guess) so I'm making a new one that will have the famous flares. Then it'll be complete!