NECA customization?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
wally wingert

NECA customization?

Post by wally wingert »

My pal Pete came over today and told me about a guy who added a cloth gray bodysuit to his NECA Batman figure. It looks amazing.

The end result completely negates the one thing I didn't like about this figure. Has anyone done this? Thoughts?
Attachments
NECA custom.jpeg
NECA custom.jpeg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
Mike Mulitsch

Re: NECA customization?

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

Andy Fish mentioned something about this , but I don't know who makes and sells them
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

innercircletoys.com might be one resource. There's a couple of others as well. That cloth costume looks dynamite. Bravo.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Well, I got inspired. Last night I moved forward with my NECA customization. But I was trying to figure out a way to not have to completely disassemble the figure like the others I had seen on-line. The only thing I really needed to do was take the boots off. The gloves pop right off so that was easy. I did have to boil some water and pour it over the boots to get them to detach from the figure's calves.

Once I did that, I removed the belt, the gloves and the boots. Then I "draped and taped." Basically taking old junk fabric and Scotch tape and covering the areas of the figure that I wanted to clothe with the gray fabric.

The gray fabric has been in my storage since I made my first Batsuit back in 1980. It's a great blue/gray polyester. Once I got the pattern how I wanted it, I took it to my seamstress who cut it off the figure, and maid patterns out of it. She cut the gray fabric pieces, stitched them together, and put it on the figure. Then stitched the figure into the tunic permanently. She also made the leggings which can be tucked into the trunks.

The boots are the tough part. They fit very snugly on to the figure anyway, but when you add the extra millimeters of fabric, it makes it even more snug. I'm going to have her alter the pattern so the seam runs down the back of the legs (like on real Capezio tights) and that way if there's any overflow, it won't be that noticeable.

I Barge glued the ends of the sleeves and leggings on to the figure so the fabric wouldn't shift once I reattached the gloves and boots. I also glued the leggings to the top of the thighs just below the trunks to keep them smooth and uniform. Then I reattached the gloves, and glued the boots back on to the figure.

But once I tried to reattach the belt I realized a problem. Batman had gained weight! Because of the extra millimeters of fabric added to the figure, the belt wouldn't reattach, and was about an 1/8" shy of connecting on the front. So I split the belt up the back and added in a Velcro extender.

I had my seamstress take a pattern off the cape today, because I'm going to re-do that as well as soon as I can find the right fabric. The edges of the cape don't flare out like on the original capes (somebody at NECA didn't do their homework I guess) so I'm making a new one that will have the famous flares. Then it'll be complete!
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

By the way, the emblem is from a scan of the Hardeman emblem, reduced down to 1" across and printed on glossy card stock. Neat!
Attachments
NECA (1b).jpg
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

And here's the final version. At least until I can get a new cape made, complete with little snaps, flared edges and overlocked scallops. Stay tuned!
Attachments
NECA Batman finished-red.JPG
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

He looks awesome. Great job!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Looks sharp, Wally. Can't wait to see the cape. You also just brought back a huge memory of the Kenner Give-A-Show projector!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Cool, Wally! I'd also like to see the finished product with the cape.
Jimmongan

Post by Jimmongan »

That really came out great and you turned it into a much higher end figure closer to Hot Toys..........great job !
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Nice Job.
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Pretty nifty!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »