Penguins monacle0 how does it stay in?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
I act the riddler

Penguins monacle0 how does it stay in?

Post by I act the riddler »

Does anybody know how to keep the monacle in your eye? Thanks.
Please do not embed videos into signatures.
- The management.
Roundedwayne

Re: Penguins monacle0 how does it stay in?

Post by Roundedwayne »

A quote from Wikipedia: "A simple loop of metal with a lens which was slotted into the eye orbit".... Hope this help :D
Roundedwayne

Post by Roundedwayne »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monoc ... allery.jpg I guess it's something like this which enable a person to "slot it into the eye orbit".
Meule

Post by Meule »

And if all else fails: superglue :lol:
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
Riddlersgurl

Post by Riddlersgurl »

I always thought it was spirit gum.

Superglue rips off skin, doesn't it? As well as rip out hair?
Meule

Post by Meule »

Riddlersgurl wrote:I always thought it was spirit gum.

Superglue rips off skin, doesn't it? As well as rip out hair?
It was a joke, I wouldn't really recommend using superglue, too dangerous and painful
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Back when monocles were in vogue, I gather you just squinted/scrunched your cheek to hold it in. Possibly it helped that they were mostly worn by aristocrats, who usually held their noses high. :-)

Usually you saw them attached to a cord, with the other end attached...where?...to a shirt button, maybe? So that when they fell out (which inevitably they must have), they wouldn't hit the floor and shatter.

I don't remember seeing Pengy with such a cord on the show (though he had one in the comics; see my sig), so I'm guessing he used spirit gum. After Mr Meredith's bad experiences with corrective lenses in that Twilight Zone episode, I'm sure he took every precaution to protect his eyepiece. :-)

Now that I think about it, monocles must have had more to do with fashion than optometry. Who in the world needs a prescription in only one eye?
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
I act the riddler

Post by I act the riddler »

Thanks for everybodys help.Penguin did use spirit gum. Still cant get it to stay. Oh well.
Please do not embed videos into signatures.
- The management.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

According to this Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocle, the best monocles were custom-made for the wearer and stayed in with little or no effort. Maybe they sprung for a nice one for Burgess.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

I always thought he scrunched up his eye to hold it in the socket, but judging by some of the pics I've seen, maybe he did have it spirit gummed in. Did he ever not have it in? I thought I remember it falling out one time when he was suprised by the Dynamic Duo.