Looking for info on the Batnoculars

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

Re: Looking for info on the Batnoculars

Post by rickrickrick »

Thanks for the kind comments, all - especially seeing as it's actually an unfinished prop!

The batnocular bat is, indeed, the same size as the belt buckle bat! Nice coincidence!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Nice detective work! The WIP Bino's are looking great.
Meule

Post by Meule »

Excellent job, Rick.
How about covering the craft foam with a layer of resin to make it more sturdy?
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

Great job on the ID of the actual prop item.

Robin uses them in the latest "Batman '66 Meets The Green Hornet" #5

rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Ha ha! Nice use in the comic!

My struggle has been trying to find a material that is flat, rigid, and smooth. Since I cannot remove the lens tubes, the faceplate has to go over the lenses from the front somehow. I found nothing flexible enough to stretch over the lenses that was rigid enough, and nothing rigid would go over the lenses without an ugly cut that was difficult to conceal. That's how I ended up with craft foam - it stretched enough to be forced over the lenses, but pretty well returned to shape. But it's, well, foamy, and doesn't have the smooth finish I envision. I think it would be hard to get a really smooth surface covering it with epoxy or resin - it's so small, it's hard to do much of anything to the faceplate without threatening damage to the lens tubes. The best looking thing for the faceplate was sheet styrene spray-painted yellow, except that I couldn't figure out a good way to minimize the slices needed to make it go over the lenses. :roll:

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I've never worked with it, but do you think Plas-Tex would be something to consider? I've read that it is like a soft plastic but not sure how flexible it would be.

http://www.parklandplastics.com/polywall.shtml
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I am unfamiliar with plas-tex, but since it's sold in 4'x8' sheets, and the batnocular faceplate is about 2"x3" in size, I'm unlikely to be giving it a try! :)

RRR