Looking for info on the Batnoculars

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
jhusel

Looking for info on the Batnoculars

Post by jhusel »

I'm wanting to make these, does anyone have any info on them? I read someone thought they were made from opera glasses, but all I have seen is the one screenshot of Batman using them in the bat boat. Any more info out there on these?
Pat The Batman Fan

Re: Looking for info on the Batnoculars

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

Search eBay for "vintage mini binoculars". Right now there are several that could be converted into Batnoculars with minimal fuss. It seems like all you would need is a gold colored, bat-shaped piece of metal with holes cut out for the front lenses.

The brands listed on there now that all look like they could potentially work are Selsi, Asahi, Plum & Skyline. Looks like you'll spend 30-50 bucks.

I might pick up a pair myself... looks like a cool, fairly easy prop.

And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

The batnoculars are almost certainly built on a style of mini binocular that was extremely popular - and had many knockoffs - before, during, and after World War II. They show up pretty frequently on eBay. The originals, I believe, were a product of the company that later became Nikon. There are collector sites on the web devoted entirely to their history! The ones that are identified as made in "Occupied Japan" are especially prized, and don't go cheaply on eBay.
minibinocs.jpg
minibinocs.jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 7995 times
This design was so popular, there are still contemporary versions being made, like this one being sold on Amazon:
newbinocs.jpg
newbinocs.jpg (170.28 KiB) Viewed 7995 times
The two most substantial visual differences in the new ones are that the eye cups aren't dished like the vintage ones, and the front of the lenses looks like a plastic ring, not metal. They'd make a pretty good base if you couldn't get a vintage pair.

I don't know where the Batman prop guys got a pair with brass/gold colored fronts - I've been unable to locate any. Maybe they re-painted them. ***EDIT*** Actually, taking a better look at the frame grab right now, I'm not so sure that the front IS brass/gold - may just be reflecting the yellow tone of the bat. The back part is clearly silver.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

rickrickrick wrote:The batnoculars are almost certainly built on a style of mini binocular that was extremely popular - and had many knockoffs - before, during, and after World War II. They show up pretty frequently on eBay. The originals, I believe, were a product of the company that later became Nikon.
Actually the batnoculars were built like so many of the props on Batman, from toys. The binoculars used were the ones on the back of comic books from the Johnson smith company and were also common prizes at Fairs back in the 60's. So far i have not been able to find the Ad i speak of on Google, I'll have to search my comic Book collection to find the Johnson Smith ad I refer too. Most of the ads I've been able to find have the snap open folding binoculars that came later.
If you watch Batman episode #25 The Joker Trumps an Ace and watch close as Batman uses the Batnoculars to search the Golf Course you get a good view of them.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Well, I am certainly no expert, and would love to be proven wrong, and see an example of the binocs you mention. I DID look at the Joker episode on the golf course, and the bluray of the movie, and unless those toys have the same profile as the Japanese mini binoculars, and have chromed lens tubes, I remain skeptical of them being the source. But I am only guessing based on visual information, which is minimal.

All best!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
jhusel

Post by jhusel »

Thanks for the information everyone! I really appreciate the feedback!
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

I found this picture in my archives...
BATCUFFS, BATNOCULARS, MAGNIFYING GLASS.gif
BATCUFFS, BATNOCULARS, MAGNIFYING GLASS.gif (14.84 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
Pat The Batman Fan

Post by Pat The Batman Fan »

Great info Rick, thanks!

They do like fun to make, hope someone takes the plunge. I wish I had the time or I would make a set myself.
And why doesn't Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

The vintage pair of Japanese mini binoculars I bought off eBay arrived today, and, as I suspected, I am quite certain I have identified the correct base for the Batnoculars.

Unfortunately, I only had Pat The Batman Fan's frame grab to work from, but I did a quick side-by-side comparison, and in my mind, there's no doubt. Everything lines up.
origbatnocs.jpg
origbatnocs.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 7830 times
vintagebinocs.jpg
vintagebinocs.jpg (65 KiB) Viewed 7830 times
Please note in particular the four arrows. Same large flat screw visible behind the head of the bat emblem, same black frame, same silver triangular side pieces - even the same little set screw on the sides!

I thought maybe the prop guys pulled the lens tubes off to slip on the bat emblem, but, alas, they don't come off, so there must be undetectable cuts in the emblem that enabled them to slip it in place. Probably something pretty well covered over by the yellow paint job.

So, now I need to pattern the emblem. Man, are these small! But surprisingly effective binoculars!

Cheers!

RRR
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

BTW, as I was working on creating a faceplate for mine, it dawned on me that it's exactly the same bat as on the buckle of the utility belt. Duh! :lol:

RRR
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Oops, never posted my finished batnoculars.
donebinocs.jpg
Well, sort of finished. This will do for now until I can make a better faceplate. It looks good from a distance, but it's CRAFT FOAM! I couldn't get anything else over the lens tubes, and the slices I had to put in all the different materials I tried bothered me more than a foamy faceplate did. So this is it for now.

While looking for something else last night, I revisited the bluray of the movie, where the batnocs can be seen clearly a couple of times - I am absolutely certain that I have the right kind of mini binoculars for a base. And as you can see, the yellow faceplate does, indeed, reflect on the chrome lens tubes, making them appear yellow or gold, while the rim around the lens still looks silver, as the posted screen grabs look.

Cheers!

RRR
svl

Post by svl »

Stellar, Rick. I bet if you whitened the edge of the foam slightly it would be right on the money.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

rickrickrick wrote:I am absolutely certain that I have the right kind of mini binoculars for a base. And as you can see, the yellow faceplate does, indeed, reflect on the chrome lens tubes, making them appear yellow or gold, while the rim around the lens still looks silver, as the posted screen grabs look.

Cheers!

RRR
Rick I have to bow to you on those they look great and admit you were right and I was wrong.
Great job.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Excellent work Rick!!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

rickrickrick wrote:BTW, as I was working on creating a faceplate for mine, it dawned on me that it's exactly the same bat as on the buckle of the utility belt. Duh! :lol:

RRR
Noticed that too - is it the same size as the one on the buckle?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66