Bat cave Atomic Pile

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
STP Swallowthispill

Re: Bat cave Atomic Pile

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

I just finished cutting the beams for the center part of the catwalk sections!
Still a lot to do but I will keep you posted.

Charles
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Don't fall into the pile!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Chazbat

Post by Chazbat »

Really looking forward to seeing this new build progress!!

~Chaz
STP Swallowthispill

Chazbat wrote:Really looking forward to seeing this new build progress!!

~Chaz
Yeah me too I just had to order more supplies because I made a cutting boo boo.
I cut the flooring for the top catwalk too narrow!
Oh well I will get back in the groove eventually.
Thanks for the interest and support I need it.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

New catwalks are starting to take shape still a lot to do but I plan on taking my time this time and hopefully it will turn out better!
I will post some pics when assembly begins.

Charles
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

I just stumbled upon this thread. OMG, that is just Fantasic! Being a model railroader on the side, I have had the honor of seeing some spectacular model building over the years. This ranks right up there with some of the nicest things I have seen. Model builders line you are hard to come across. It takes incredible talent and patience to build things like this. You have both.
STP Swallowthispill

Batman65 wrote:I just stumbled upon this thread. OMG, that is just Fantasic! Being a model railroader on the side, I have had the honor of seeing some spectacular model building over the years. This ranks right up there with some of the nicest things I have seen. Model builders line you are hard to come across. It takes incredible talent and patience to build things like this. You have both.
Thanks so much for the nice comments I was beginning to think no one cared about the build nice to know there are some that do.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

The new catwalks are taking shape below I will show the process I used building them.

Here we have the framework of the upper catwalk

The next step was to cut the flooring and start attaching the framework to it here is the middle portion attached.

Next the completed upper catwalk assembly.

Next we see the same process for the middle catwalk.

Here we have the completed upper and lower catwalks still some cleanup work to do then next the holes for the railings will be drilled Then I plan on painting them before I assemble them to the legs.

Well that's all this time I will have this thing back on it's legs in no time at all and this time it will be the correct size I hope.

Charles
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Trust me, I think I can safely speak for everyone here, this kind of scratch building is enjoyed by all of us. It is a joy seeing the building efforts of others like yourself.
STP Swallowthispill

Batman65 wrote:Trust me, I think I can safely speak for everyone here, this kind of scratch building is enjoyed by all of us. It is a joy seeing the building efforts of others like yourself.

Thanks I appreciate it I am by no means a pro at this kind of thing but I am enjoying figuring it out.
It can be challenging when you only have pictures as reference as you can see my first attempt at the Atomic pile was much too small at the top this one has corrected that.
I hope once I get that part back on it's legs I can continue the lower half which has been the most challenging part so far. I stopped work on that part when it did not look right because the upper part was too narrow.

Keep posting it is what keeps me going.
Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Well due to not having the layout drawing I used in the first build and trying to make one out of an old print that I enlarged. The above catwalks are not the same size and will have to be scrapped!
My son is working on a new layout drawing and when we have that we will begin again.
I would rather start over now and make sure it's right than hope for the best and have to start all over again later.
This thing is not going to whip me I shall complete it.

Charles
svl

Post by svl »

Keep going, Charles! :)
STP Swallowthispill

svl wrote:Keep going, Charles! :)

Thanks Man

Charles
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Been there, don't let it get you down. You have come too far. You'll get it and it will look good.
STP Swallowthispill

Batman65 wrote:Been there, don't let it get you down. You have come too far. You'll get it and it will look good.
It was a trial and error type project when you only have photo's to work from.
I am surprised that no photos were taken from the set in all angles the back of the atomic pile is never seen.
The plumbing I am going to have to guess at when I get to that stage but I am planning on making it look as close as possible to the pictures.

Thanks for the positive comments.
One question the new forum has the ability to drag and drop photos does this mean I won't have to upload them to photo bucket first?

Below is a sample pic test driving the drag and drop feature.

Charles
Attachments
360235523598.jpg
360235523598.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 7339 times