Bat cave Atomic Pile

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
STP Swallowthispill

Re: Bat cave Atomic Pile

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

I promised progress photos and here they are.

All the railings are now on the main part of the AP as I could not find a ladder that looked right I made my own. It wasn't easy but the results were well worth it.
We counted 12 ladder rungs so I went with that, we had to guess at the bottom part of the ladder as it is always hidden by bat-props but I think we got it correct.

enjoy.

I don't have the ladder attached yet as it would be in the way and probably would get damaged while working on the rest of the build.
More to come stay tuned.

Any thoughts on the correct angle of the ladder is it straight up and down or is it angled as I have it in the photo.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Well I did not like the way the short rail post the ladder connects to looked so I replaced it with another one cut at a 45 degree angle as it should be.
I also added the hand holds that are on the railings which are really portable scaffolding.

Enjoy

I have found a major flaw the top part does not appear to be wide enough you can tell by where the sign with sculls is hanging the 2nd version that is.
Not sure what to do about this.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Thinking strongly about abandoning this thread due to lack of interest!
If you want to see this thing completed then I need feedback!

Charles
svl

Post by svl »

Keep the updates coming. I've noticed there is much more "lurking" here than posting- people ARE seeing this great project, they just don't post much about anything.

This is fantastic, has me wanting to build one myself. :)
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Agreed. STP your workmanship is fantastic! I'm sure there are many like me who check it often to see your updates but dont always have a lot of time to post.
I hope you allow us to see this to the finish.
STP Swallowthispill

svl wrote:Keep the updates coming. I've noticed there is much more "lurking" here than posting- people ARE seeing this great project, they just don't post much about anything.

This is fantastic, has me wanting to build one myself. :)
Thanks man that is all I need to keep going!
I appreciate the comments.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

maniac cop 5 wrote:Agreed. STP your workmanship is fantastic! I'm sure there are many like me who check it often to see your updates but dont always have a lot of time to post.
I hope you allow us to see this to the finish.
I will continue to post as long as I think someone other than myself is interested in seeing this completed.
I takes time to take progress shots and them upload and then post them I was beginning to think I was doing all that for nothing.
I am stuck right now as my upper part is not wide enough it needs to be increased an inch and a half.
I discovered this when I went to make signs and the signs don't fall out where they should.
I have a plan and will execute it when I am confident I am doing the right thing.

I am basically going to cut through the upper and lower catwalks in four places widen the whole thing 3/4" in all four places. Then turn it and do the same thing to the sides thus returning the middle hole to a square.

I will post pics of that process.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

This is why the upper part has to be widened.
The sign is supposed to go from the middle post to the end of the handrail beside the ladder.

This is going to be a difficult modification but it must be done.
I think it is why the bottom part never looked right to me so that's on hold until I fix this mess.

Charles
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Just want to add to the supportive comments on your work and the project so far. Like many others I LOVE to see what has progressed with your work, but don't add posts. Main reason being that I have nothing to add in way of help or suggestions to you!! Just happy to look on in awe and admiration!
Take care,
Terry
STP Swallowthispill

Aussie Batfan wrote:Just want to add to the supportive comments on your work and the project so far. Like many others I LOVE to see what has progressed with your work, but don't add posts. Main reason being that I have nothing to add in way of help or suggestions to you!! Just happy to look on in awe and admiration!
Take care,
Terry
Thanks for the nice comments just by posting this you are adding a lot more than you think.
To keep me going I need to see an occasional post not just views.
If you are new to this project you can see it from the very beginning in the Old Forum Archive section,under Bat Crafts first page Batcave Diorama.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Here you see the wood pieces I that will make the straight edge for my saw when I make the cuts through the catwalks on the AP

Here you see the wood pieces in place held there by bolts and wing nuts.
What I am attempting is creating a miter box right on the model.

I hope this works because If it does not the whole project will be doomed I am not starting over.

Wish me luck

Charles
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Good luck!
STP Swallowthispill

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:Good luck!
Thanks I still have 16 more bolts and nuts to buy man this is getting expensive!
I won't be ready to make the cuts until then.
The next post will be after the cuts are made which hopefully will be done next week.

Charles
svl

Post by svl »

Good luck with the cuts!
STP Swallowthispill

svl wrote:Good luck with the cuts!
Thanks I am sort of dreading doing the cuts because after that either it works or it is ruined.

Charles