Bat cave Atomic Pile

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Lou Szabo

Re: Bat cave Atomic Pile

Post by Lou Szabo »

STP Swallowthispill wrote: First instead of waiting until the entire thing is built before painting I am thinking of building it in stages and painting the stages unassembled.
This will allow me to get into places I was worried about painting on the finished model.
This is only an Idea and I need some advise as to if it is a good or bad idea.
Also I really need help on choosing paint colors here is my thoughts on this.

The legs.....Silver
The bands around the legs .....dark gray
The trim.....Red
The railings and catwalks.....Turquise

What do you guys think?

Charles
The legs.....Silver or textured silver spray paint. To me these look like large ducts, which were zinc and more gray than silver
The bands around the legs .....dark gray or black - try electrical tape, maybe an inch wide
The trim.....Red - flat color or add a dull coat over it. Will you match the Batmobile strips?
The railings ...Turquoise or powder blue.
The catwalks .... Grey

Build in chunks so you can let it dry is my choice.
It looks super
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Batguy1966

Post by Batguy1966 »

Looks great, after doing some homework looks like I will be making mine closer to 1:24 as the availability of items such as filing cabinets, and chairs etc is more prevalent. The less I have to build from scratch the better :)
STP Swallowthispill

Post by STP Swallowthispill »

Batguy1966 wrote:HI Charles,
Been a stalker on this forum for a while but newly registered. Hopefully with the Blue Ray set released it helped you on your question. Reason I joined is I am building a 1:18 Batcave myself and was inspired by a lot of your work. Where did you get the original blue print/ floor-plan?

BG66
I got the floor plan from the original forum there is a link to it on the main page of this forum.
Look at the utility belt at the top in the old forum the pouches are links to different areas choose the far left one "Bat Resources" there you will find the small version of the floor plan.
We enlarged it in Photoshop all of this was covered in my old forum posts under Bat Crafts Topic "Bat cave diorama" it is the 18th one from the top on the first page.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Progress update or I should say lack of progress update.
Since wrecking the original build I have not yet started on the new one there are a number of factors preventing this one is money, two is the desire to do everything over again is dwindling.
I am starting to ask myself do I really want to do this, getting replies to the topic helps fuel my want to!
I have to make new catwalks and rails and I should be back at square one this time it will not be too narrow at the top!

After tax time hopefully I will be able to buy new materials.

Charles
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

STP Swallowthispill wrote:
Been a stalker on this forum for a while but newly registered. Hopefully with the Blue Ray set released it helped you on your question. Reason I joined is I am building a 1:18 Batcave myself and was inspired by a lot of your work. Where did you get the original blue print/ floor-plan?

BG66
I got the floor plan from the original forum there is a link to it on the main page of this forum.
Look at the utility belt at the top in the old forum the pouches are links to different areas choose the far left one "Bat Resources" there you will find the small version of the floor plan.
We enlarged it in Photoshop all of this was covered in my old forum posts under Bat Crafts Topic "Bat cave diorama" it is the 18th one from the top on the first page.

Charles
Hey Charles, I believe this is the thread you mentioned from the old board...
http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 553648/all
STP Swallowthispill

Ben Bentley wrote:
STP Swallowthispill wrote:

BG66

Charles
Hey Charles, I believe this is the thread you mentioned from the old board...
http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 553648/all
That's it Ben I am glad you added the link it will help those who were not members of the old forum to get to my thread and see where it all began also I do not have to upload everything again.

Charles
Batguy1966

Post by Batguy1966 »

Got it,
Thanks guys, did I see in the old forums that somebody actually had a 1/25 Atomic Pile kit? I think I am going to go that size(or close anyway) otherwise I wouldn't be able to get everything(details, lighting etc) into the case I have for it.
Batguy1966

Post by Batguy1966 »

Am I too late on this forum?
STP Swallowthispill

Batguy1966 wrote:Am I too late on this forum?
You are never too late for this forum welcome friend.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Batguy1966 wrote:Got it,
Thanks guys, did I see in the old forums that somebody actually had a 1/25 Atomic Pile kit? I think I am going to go that size(or close anyway) otherwise I wouldn't be able to get everything(details, lighting etc) into the case I have for it.
I think you did see that there was a lot of posts on the old forum, there was one member who had made all the desks, bat computers and all the other stuff in the bat cave that was neat!

Charles
Batguy1966

Post by Batguy1966 »

Thanks Charles,
I saw that pic in the old forum and saved the photo as a reference to making my own. Now I know you used the layout from the resource page here, I am pretty sure you also talked about the blueprints from that book fictional floor plans. Did that have any value? I have seen images online but most are too small to print sufficiently.
STP Swallowthispill

Batguy1966 wrote:Thanks Charles,
I saw that pic in the old forum and saved the photo as a reference to making my own. Now I know you used the layout from the resource page here, I am pretty sure you also talked about the blueprints from that book fictional floor plans. Did that have any value? I have seen images online but most are too small to print sufficiently.

I am not sure I remember the blueprint discussion but that was awhile back.
I used the layout after up scaling it is comprised of 18 sheets of paper taped together.
I may still have the up scaled file somewhere I think it isn't on the forum anymore If I can find it I will repost it.

Charles
STP Swallowthispill

Well who is ready for Atomic Pile Version 2 ?????
I am in the process of ordering materials and have a new plan worked out.
Problem is I just discovered Image shack is no longer free so I don't know how I will be able to post pics.
But it is way too early for that I haven't started the re-build.

The number of folks interested in this project will help decide if I want to post progress pics or not.

Charles
Meule

Post by Meule »

You can download your pics in the Picasa free web albums from Google
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe
STP Swallowthispill

Meule wrote:You can download your pics in the Picasa free web albums from Google
Thanks That will be a big help I will look into that.

Charles