Info on BATSLEEP cans

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
svl

Info on BATSLEEP cans

Post by svl »

Looking for images and info on the various BATSLEEP cans. Anyone have any good screen grabs and the like?

Danke in advance!
chrisbcritter

Re: Info on BATSLEEP cans

Post by chrisbcritter »

Probably the clearest shot in the series, from "The Penguin Declines":

There are two different ones that I can tell; this is the best shot of the other one (from "The Bookworm Turns", but it's much smaller so Batman's fingers hide it:

And a couple more from "The Riddler's False Notion" if they help:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

svl

Post by svl »

Thanks, gents. I was sure there were two sizes, glad to know I wasn't dreaming it.

Any thoughts on best spray paint matches and font type?
To The Batpoles!

Post by To The Batpoles! »

I have a question.
Does anyone know what was actually IN the cans that they used on the show?
( i.e. Air Freshener? etc...) I've just always wondered.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Probably just water. Air freshener or even inert gases would pose a health risk to the person being sprayed, even if they held their breath. Of course, based on his book Burt Ward would probably claim this was par for the course... ;)...and come to think of it, the colored smoke used for knockout gas was likely formulated from a potassium nitrate/sugar mixture with dye added and would have been harmful to breathe. So maybe the cans were air freshener :) .
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Great shots AP!!!

The tell tale ghost of the transfer letters!! :)

Some of the knock out stuff I believe were colored theatrical powders.
The stuff from Catwomans whip handle and Blazes cigarette holder for instance.

The canned stuff looks like old travel size deodorant . At least it would be a bit safer.

I also think they used certain angles that made it look like they got a face full, but it was actually sprayed away from the face.
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

I made Bat Sleep and Bat Wake cans from aerosol spring water I found at CVS. It is made to spay in your face. Since there were several different can sizes on the show i figured it was ok to use something that work for the size and could actually be sprayed. The nozzle can actually be switch out but I have not done that yet. I got the lettering from DoItyourselflettering.com. They had font that was very close, arial narrow.
IMG_2121.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG (77.04 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG (30.84 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
svl

Post by svl »

Nice, BatDave.

Thanks again to all for the info!
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Well, what do you know... safe imitation Bat-Sleep!The stuff even shows up well on camera when you spray it, from the company's video. A bit bigger than the show item, but you did a very good transformation.

(Best match for the real font used would be Akzidenz Grotesk Condensed, if you can get it.)
(image from identifont.com)
If you can find correct lids, you might even be able to make the Riddler's A and B cans (their letters look like Franklin Gothic Bold Condensed).
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."