Re-Shaping Cowl?

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Lewis Tully

Re-Shaping Cowl?

Post by Lewis Tully »

I got a Cowl (unfortunately not Chuck's...) and it is a bit oversized. More specifically this part here:

I would like to re-shape this to fit a little more snug, but I'm not sure how. I don't know what the shell is made of, but the dangly section of the shell really only needs to come in a few centimeters on either side. I know you can heat up, and re-shape latex if needed, as well as hats. Does anyone know if this is possible with a cowl? If I could re-shape this thing to get it a bit tighter on my dome I know it would look a lot better. Any help is appreciated!!!
Silverknight58

Re: Re-Shaping Cowl?

Post by Silverknight58 »

Hi Lewis, do you know who made the cowl? Yes fiberglass can be heated and reshaped somewhat. Sounds like the thing you'll need to is carefully delaminate the fabric from the sideburns and pull the fabric back and away from the sideburns and attempt it.

You do risk melting the fabric nearby if you use a heat gun. I would reccomend using very hot water and dipping one at a time to reshape (wear gloves) you can use a hairdryer on cool to cool it.

Once all that's done you can use Barge Cement or similar to CAREFULLY reglue the fabric to the sideburns.

Good luck and let us know who it goes. Do you have a pic of teh actual cowl?

Will
Lewis Tully

Post by Lewis Tully »

The Cowl was made by Action Costumes. I can post a pic of the actual cowl later today. I am very wary of peeling any fabric off, as I don't want to mess it up before the big weekend this Saturday. I will of course just wear it as is, but if it fit my face a little better it would look great. Thank you for the advice.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Well said 'ol chum!

The fabric seriously impedes the kind of heat needed to reshape a fiberglass and resin cowl.

If it's vacuform plastic you may have better luck with a hair dryer and patience but fabric damage can happen in a split second.

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Could try a iron on medium heat with a doubled up cloth in between to protect the fabric just keep it moving and keep pushing in on the sides might move it just enough ..
Joel Ross

Post by Joel Ross »

I wouldn't touch it. Too risky.
methos

Post by methos »

i'm in the same boat here, just recieved my Action Costumes cowl, and the cowl is definitely oversized by a good half inch or so around my head...

Either looking into reshaping, or adding some foam padding to the inside and back of the cowl so it fits against my face and jaw line better.

Something for future buyers to keep in mind i think.
Grayvette03

Post by Grayvette03 »

Something else you might want to try...
Find a pair of snaps that are the same size or maybe a little smaller and attach them to your cowl. I have a very small head and I wear a bandanna and added the extra snaps and it fits just fine now. I added the set to the bottom and you can't tell there is an extra set on the cowl.I have a Will Cowl (Silverknight58) and it's worked just fine.
Jim
methos

Post by methos »

interesting, thanks for that hint...

I checked circumference of my head, double checked against the measurements I sent Action Costumes, and then checked the circumference of inside the cowl... It's a good 4.2 inches larger than the measurement I sent...

My guess is they use a single size resin under-piece to work on, as I've spoken to 2 other people who have the cowl from them as well, and in both cases the cowl is exactly the same size as mine, drastically different to their head size.

Currently the best idea is to 'pad' the inside of the cowl with a foam strip over the top, back and sides of the cowl, to keep the face area flush with the face when wearing it... Aside from that, noone I've spoke to has had any luck in actually reshaping one of these to actually fit properly.

Very annoying but something we're learning to live with now until I can find a better replacement for LSCC in march.