Thanks To All!

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Over50BatFan

Thanks To All!

Post by Over50BatFan »

I just wanted to say thank you to all the kind folks here who have been such a great resource for me as I started what I thought would be an impossible task. Two weeks ago, my seven year old daughter announced that she wanted to go to an upcoming "Father/Daughter" Costume Dance at her school AND she wanted to go as Batman and Batgirl. As someone old enough to have watched the show the first time around, and got her interested in it earlier this year, I was thrilled but...could we pull it off in a couple of weeks? I was excited because I had always wanted to do it but only if I could do it properly. I started searching the internet and found this great group. I saw the GH Batman costume in a local costume store and realized it wouldn't work. No time to order a proper CW cowl, found the Mattel one "acceptable." :) Then I ordered Lynne's patterns and enlisted the help of a seamstress friend. She made the cape and trunks. Couldn't get the proper tights and tunic because they couldn't guarantee delivery in time, so I went with a white, thick cotton/poly unitard, dyed to the specs found here. Utility belt built from scratch from stuff found at Hobby Lobby, boots from Goodwill cut and dyed. Got some large, navy satin elbow length gloves, cut them up and re-sewn to include fins, courtesy of Lynne's helpful blog.
As for my daughter, we used the GH Batgirl cowl, gloves, cape and belt. I bought her a smaller unitard. Hers is not quite as accurate, but she's seven and wasn't as picky as me, but we'll upgrade some things.

Anyway, thank you all for the great info. I've been waiting to do this for 46 years!
batphoto001.jpg
Ben Bentley

Re: Thanks To All!

Post by Ben Bentley »

Nice job! You pulled together a great suit in a very short space of time! Most importantly, you wear it well buddy!
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Fantastic work!!!

Talk about a man on a mission!!

You assembled a great looking costume in next to no time.
WELL DONE!!!

Hope you and your daughter share many fun Bat-adventures together!!

All the best,
Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
svl

Post by svl »

Great job! Hope you and your Bat-Princess have a Batastic time!!!!
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Your costume looks excellent! I'm blown away by how quickly you put that together.
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

Absolutely Bat-tastic! And in a short time frame to boot! Maybe now you will be one of our newest resources...
dell

Post by dell »

Looks great! Well done sir.
dell
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

I went through the same thing last year at this time - it wasn't easy but it sure was fun! Great looking suit and that Mattel cowl looks pretty good!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

That is a GREAT job for getting it together so quickly! And you wear it well!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Over50BatFan

Post by Over50BatFan »

Thanks for the kind words. A few have PM'd me about the utility belt, and it looks like I'm not able to use the PM function yet, so here's a quick overview. I had some flexible dry erase board, which I cut for the belt part. Covered that in yellow "pleather." The pouches are plain gift boxes, painted yellow. They were actually too thick but I cut them down to size. Then I glued the boxes shut, cut the bottoms three ways so that one way remained as a hinge. Used remaining fabric and velcro as a strap and button so the pouch opened and closed. The buckle was a piece of metal they sell at Hobby Lobby, cut to size. I then used the insignia from Lynne's patterns to dremel it onto the buckle. The belt stays on with velcro in front and back.
Aussie Batfan

Post by Aussie Batfan »

Looks amazing! Great work - that is the best I have seen the Mattel Cowl presented. Have to re-think my opinion now on that item!
Cheers,
Terry
Coasterbat86

Post by Coasterbat86 »

looks great
Grayvette03

Post by Grayvette03 »

Very nice, great use of the resources available to you. Have a great time.
Jim
Randy

Post by Randy »

Outstanding and resourceful
antman67

Post by antman67 »

Awesome batman costume. Did you take any pix of you with your daughter together? What a great dad you are.
I'm a fan of Batman 1966 and other Batman movies too