Batman ornament art piece

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
noman

Re: Batman ornament art piece

Post by noman »

Well Batman did appear on Life Magazine...
https://books.google.com/books?id=KkwEA ... an&f=false
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

I got my framed piece back from the framer's and I'm VERY happy with it. I had to open it up, however, and make some adjustments. But when the glue's dry and I've put it all back together again, I'll be posting a pic here. I just have to figure out how to photograph this thing without all the glare inherent with framed pieces. YIKES!
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

noman wrote:Well Batman did appear on Life Magazine...
https://books.google.com/books?id=KkwEA ... an&f=false
Ummm..yeah. Of course he did. Who said he didn't? :?: :?: :?: :?:

John
Music. BAT! Music.
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

OK...all finished. Boy you sure gotta love that glare-free glass! Makes shooting flash pictures a breeze!

In pic one you see the layout with the navy blue satin-like matte, and in the second picture you can see it at an angle so it's easy to tell just how much he's floated away from the background. It's really only about a 1/4 of an inch, but it sure makes a difference in conveying a 3-D effect!
Attachments
Ornament.jpg
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

LOVE IT!!! WOW!!
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Thanks Chuck. The only way it could have been improved would have been to have some of the original navy blue stretch satin covering the matte surrounding the layout. But I was fresh out! :D
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

wally wingert wrote:OK...all finished. Boy you sure gotta love that glare-free glass! Makes shooting flash pictures a breeze!

In pic one you see the layout with the navy blue satin-like matte, and in the second picture you can see it at an angle so it's easy to tell just how much he's floated away from the background. It's really only about a 1/4 of an inch, but it sure makes a difference in conveying a 3-D effect!

Wow! Wally, that looks fantastic!!!
If I may ask, what did you do to get the ornament to "float" above the print? I love how it gives off the silhouette shadows onto the print. Great job!

-Jeremy
Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!
Technical Artist & Designer
Facebook: Burke Studio
eBay: jerburke http://www.ebay.com/usr/jerburke?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Etsy: BurkeStudio
Instagram: BurkeStudio
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Where did you guys get the shadow box. I stopped at Hobby Lobby, but didn't see something that would fit the "burkestudio image"
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Szabol wrote:Where did you guys get the shadow box. I stopped at Hobby Lobby, but didn't see something that would fit the "burkestudio image"
Hi Szabol,

I bought my shadow box at Hobby Lobby with the 40% coupon.
The box I bought came in either black or white finish. I opted for black.

It was a very inexpensive way to display it... and the ornament does not touch the glass. :)

I'll check when I get home to see if the box has some sort of name/number on it.

Thanks,
Jeremy
wally wingert

Post by wally wingert »

Thanks! I had a professional framer put the frame together at Michael's. He did the majority of the work. The figure is floated over the background with 2 little pieces of black foam board which are Barge glued between his shoulder blades, and between his upper thighs. I also love how the shadow is cast upon the background. When you see it in person it looks very 3-D!

My pal Pete is toying with trying to resculpt the figure's cape so it more closely resembles the billowing cape on the original Life magazine cover.
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

wally wingert wrote:Thanks! I had a professional framer put the frame together at Michael's. He did the majority of the work. The figure is floated over the background with 2 little pieces of black foam board which are Barge glued between his shoulder blades, and between his upper thighs. I also love how the shadow is cast upon the background. When you see it in person it looks very 3-D!

My pal Pete is toying with trying to resculpt the figure's cape so it more closely resembles the billowing cape on the original Life magazine cover.

I would love to see your friend's re-design! I was disappointed that they didn't totally recreate that image. I just assumed maybe it was a child safety issue???

-Jeremy
burkestudio

Post by burkestudio »

Szabol wrote:Where did you guys get the shadow box. I stopped at Hobby Lobby, but didn't see something that would fit the "burkestudio image"
Szabol, here's a link to the Shadow Box that I purchased from Hobby Lobby:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/8-x ... se-293787/

I purchased mine in-store with the 40% coupon. They also will run their entire line of Shadow Boxes for 50% off, from time to time.

-Jeremy
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Thanks, I passed it to my wife and daughter for Christmas
simm

Post by simm »

Love these. What are you guys using to suspend the ornaments inside the shadow boxes?
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I pressed mine between the glass and the backing. If you don't use the glass, you will need to drill a hole in Bats.
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 5018 times