My new stunt utility belt

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

My new stunt utility belt

Post by rickrickrick »

Howdy.

Here's a quick look at the "stunt" utility belt I recently built. The idea was to make a "cheap" belt I was not worried too much about damaging. Edit: This was NOT meant to be made the same way the show belts were. I wanted to make something simpler that would be durable, but still reasonably screen accurate.

The base of the belt is a 3" cowhide strap which I painted with Angelus leather paint. First I laid down 2 base coats of white, then 4 top coats of yellow. I started applying it with a brush, but then switched to a little foam roller to try to minimize the brush strokes I was getting.

The belt boxes are just scraps of pine I had lying around, with craft foam "straps," and thumb tacks for snaps. The boxes and straps were painted with acrylic paint.

The cylinders are 3/4" inch wood dowel, also painted with acrylic paint.

Both the belt boxes and cylinders are held on with elastic (white, which was dyed) attached with a staple gun.

The belt is held together in back with two sets of snaps. The belt buckle - which I did not make (it's from the belt I bought from Renato) - velcros onto the front.

I think I'll make thicker belt boxes for it in the future, and try making my own buckle when I have time. I may try brushing gloss medium over the belt boxes and cylinders, too. Some of Adam's belts were really shiny!

Cheers!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Batfanman

Re: My new stunt utility belt

Post by Batfanman »

Looks great! Fun project.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Great job on what I imagine is a really light weight and easily wearable stunt belt!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Nice job. The belt looks great!
BatBob

Post by BatBob »

Looks great, Rick!
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Excellent job! A great idea to make a belt you can ding up without destroying a work of art or collectible.
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Very resourceful. Seems like you have a utility belt of tips for making quick and easy utility belts.
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

very nice , did you use the Mustard color for the belt?
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

No, the color of the Angelus leather paint I used for the belt is simply their "yellow," on top of a primed layer of their white.

I don't have the acrylic paint here at home that I bought to match the Angelus as closely as possible for the pouches and rods. I will post that in a day or two when I get to my workshop and take a look. I didn't prime the wood - just painted on two coats of the acrylic.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Here's the paint I used on the wood pouches and cylinders.

Liquitex Soft Body Cadmium Yellow Medium
beltyellow.jpg
beltyellow.jpg (81.53 KiB) Viewed 6170 times
RRR
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

thank you , where did you get these , brick and motar or internet
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

hey rick that looks great .
can I ask you to ballpark the cost?
including buckle?
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

hey rick that looks great .
can I ask you to ballpark the cost?
including buckle?
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

3" cowhide strip was bought online, for about $35, I think. I see it's on sale right now for under $27!

Angelus Leather paint I bought online, one yellow, and one white, total cost about $10.

3/4" dowel for cylinders was a couple bucks at Home Depot.

Snaps were also from Home Depot - the package of 6 was about $5.

Yellow thumb tacks came from Home Depot, too - 60 for $1.30.

Small foam paint roller and handle also from Home Depot, I have NO memory of what those cost. Maybe $10??

Acrylic paint I bought on discontinued item sale at A.C.Moore for under $2.

The buckle was off my other belt, so there was no additional cost.

Other things I had lying around: adhesive backed velcro, wood for pouches, elastic, staple gun and staples, and yellow craft foam.

So, all together, the belt probably represents $65 in materials, more if you had to buy what I had lying around.

Hope that's helpful info.

RRR