Calling the Bat Phone for Tights Help!

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Flyinggrayson

Calling the Bat Phone for Tights Help!

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Hey Batman Brigade,

What does the board think of my recently dyed supplex tights? I'm worried that they are too dark. They read to me as slate grey. Should I try again with a little purple? Strip them and try again? Go again as is with a little orange? Leave them alone?
Flyinggrayson

Re: Calling the Bat Phone for Tights Help!

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Having trouble loading the picture. It seems the file which is a jpg taken on my phone is too big. Any idea how to make a picture file smaller?
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

If you are using a Mac, open photo in Preview, go to "Tools" & "Adjust Size" and adjust photo dimensions until you see the "resultant size" go to 256kb or less, then save & upload.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Batman Tights.jpg
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

I finally got the picture up (thanks Batfanman). Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is wrong or right and, if wrong, whether it can be saved?
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

The shadows create uneven look - can't tell for sure.

There is another thread that shows some pictures of Chuck Williams' photographed tights which you may find helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3632
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Here is another photo from indoors with no flash. The color is definitely grey but a very saturated, almost slate grey. When I photograph with the flash indoors it looks blue. I confess that I poured a cup of white vinegar into the mix which is what the Rit directions say to do with synthetic fabrics but I wonder if that was a mistake. I also used the liquid form of Rit rather than the powder because it was less messy. I used one bottle. Finally, I have a high capacity top loader and that might have made a difference. I'm not sure it's wrong but it's definitely a more saturated grey.
Attachments
Batman Tights 2 (450x800).jpg
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Use a mason jar to pre-mix the powder dye first (pour in dye, add hot water, close and shake up a bit) then just pour it into the machine while the hot water is filling up in the washing machine. Rinse out jar right away and it's good to use next time. Less mess.

How does the color stack up to your eye against Chuck's pix in the other thread?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Too saturated and too blue/grey compared to Chuck's pix. The outdoor picture is closer to what my eye sees than the indoor picture which doesn't look too bad.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

It's hard to assess a color with nothing to compare it to. Anything will look dark against white.

Maybe show it to us next to something navy blue.

But I'm here to tell you, it's a deep grey, deeper than those old faded PR photos posted online show. Look at this recent frame grab:
tightscolor.jpg
tightscolor.jpg (143.07 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
Looks like what you've got is pretty good.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

It looks like the grey of a more recent Batman. It would go well with a black bat with no yellow oval and a black cowl. Doesn't quite fit Adam West Batman in my opinion. I think maybe I need a little orange to pull it away from dark grey.
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Here is a picture taken indoors with flash.
Attachments
Bat Tights 3.jpg
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

Here is one indoors, no flash with a dark navy suit jacket for cape-like contrast
Attachments
Bat Tights 4.jpg
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

This is the last one. Here are the Bat Tights looking for a good time on my navy blue and white bed spread :).
Attachments
Bat Tights 5.jpg
Flyinggrayson

Post by Flyinggrayson »

This is driving me crazy because indoors without a flash, they actually photograph pretty well. From the indoors, non-flash photos I would say all I need is a little more purple. In daylight though you get more of what you see with the flash which is a heavy hit of blue turning the grey more slate.