Help with Boots

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Jimmy L. 66

Help with Boots

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I have convinced the lounge I bartend at to have a costumed event a couple times a year called
"Superhero Happy Hour"
You can guess my costume.
So I need Boots that I can run around in and get wet and still look pretty close.
My Durans, or spats won't work for this, any suggestions, ideas, pics of what you have done in a pinch would help me out a lot.
Thanks in advance citizens!
hobbybuilder01

Re: Help with Boots

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

Halloween boots recut and repainted with Fusion dark blue and lightly oversprayed, should fill the bill tuck the back zipper in and your good to go
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Get off the rack black costume boots and paint them blue.

http://www.partybell.com/p-10255-shazam ... oCtZbw_wcB

I didn't use the ones listed above, I used a different kind, cut the top to a good angle and painted them with Angelus leather paints. They are my only boots. The costume boots are really cheap, and you won't mind wearing them a small number of times before they're ruined.

A couple of caveats: the shazam boots have pretty wide calves, so if you're thin like me, they will be gappy. Also, they have NO arch supports in them, so I suggest you use inserts like I do. Lastly, they are sized S, M, L, so if you have a foot that's hard to fit, look elsewhere.

Hope that's helpful. Good luck!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

ok, for painting I found jedi warrior boots. I would have to cut and paint.
should I start with black?
I found these " amazing spider-man boots that they will make in dark/ navy blue.
I am thinking of taking a chance on the spider boots- less work.
has anyone dealt with either company, or does anyone own a pair of either of these?

thanks for all the help
spiderman boots
jedi warrior
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

How weird - why would Spiderman boots be blue??

I do not have any experience with the Spiderman boots - never seen them before. I have to say, even though it's a product shot that's supposed to make the boots look good, they look cheap. That center seam on the upper is clearly turning inside out. However, the shape is a good start without trimming and refinishing, and starting with a blue boot will make it easier to go to a darker blue if you want to paint/color them. It's also nice that they come in multiple sizes, not just S, M, and L.

The "Jedi boots" I have lots of experience with - I use them for my Star Trek TV series uniform. They are not a good candidate to trim, primarily because the zipper is on the side - you'd have to cut through the zipper area at an angle, which is problematic (but not impossible). I used the "superhero" costume boot, because the zipper was in the center back, and because the calf was narrower than the "shazam" boot and fit my thin legs better. Also, the "superhero" boot was made by the same manufacturer as the "jedi" boot, so I was reasonably sure of what the fit and quality would be like.

Bottom line here is what do you need for how you're going to use them. Sounds like you'll be standing behind a bar, where most people aren't even going to SEE your boots - I suggest the easiest, cheapest (and most comfortable!) route possible.

Cheers!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.