Kid's Catwoman costume

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

Kid's Catwoman costume

Post by rickrickrick »

I suppose this is more a showoff thread than anything, but since it's mostly about crafting a costume, I didn't know where else to put it.

Some of you may have seen the pix I posted of my daughter in her Batgirl costume. Most of that was crafted by the board's CatGreg, and it's an outstanding costume. My daughter has spent countless hours in it.

A few weeks ago, my daughter announced, quite unexpectedly, that she wanted to be Catwoman for her birthday party in May, which is going to be a costume party. We googled Catwoman images, and she said she wanted to be the Julie Newmar version. So, I got to work putting things together.

The biggest challenge was obviously the bodysuit. After scouring fabric stores for appropriate patterns, I found nothing current, so I ended up buying a nice out of print pattern on ebay. I had to customize the neckline and add a collar, but otherwise, the pattern worked well. The sparkly black fabric I found at a local fabric jobber. I sourced the elbow length black stretch satin gloves online, and added gold spray-painted fake fingernails for the claws. I got her boots from Payless (not super screen accurate, but comfy for a kid), and used the genuine period gold fishscale belt from her Batgirl costume with an appropriate period buckle for her belt. I used the necklace from the Rubies Grand Heritage costume with some links taken out, and made a kid-scale mask. I haven't finished her ears yet, so in the following picture she is wearing the ears from the Rubies costume.
catwomancostume2.jpg
She is thrilled with it, and I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the results myself.

Cheers!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
elmrgraham

Re: Kid's Catwoman costume

Post by elmrgraham »

Purrfectly cute.
dell

Post by dell »

That is adorable. I guess she would prefer that I say terrifying. Three thumbs up (two just isn't enough)
dell
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Captured the look beautifully. I bet she is THRILLED!' Great job.