Batgirl cape observation

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Catgreg

Batgirl cape observation

Post by Catgreg »

Hey everyone!

I recently came across some super High resolution publicity shots of Yvonne as Batgirl, and it confirmed something I has always kind of suspected, but never had any real photographic proof.

A cropping of said shot can be seen here (with the red background)

It looks as if the Batgirl cape wasn't composed of 24 separate panels (like many of us have been doing forever), but rather done in a pin tuck method of construction from looks like one large cut piece. Which now totally explains the way the cape draped and how the seams looked. It's something I've always wondered for years, and now it all makes total sense!

I wanted to try it out, and it seems to have worked well for the first go round, so I wanted to share!

upload pic
gif uploader

20mb image hosting
adult photo sharing

picture uploading
image sharing

free photo upload
Randy

Re: Batgirl cape observation

Post by Randy »

Great eye.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Anyone know where the Batgirl cape that was at auction a few years back ended up?
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

THAT is intriguing!
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

Is this method more difficult than the panels?
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Catgreg

Post by Catgreg »

Hey guys, I didn't see the cape that was up for auction.

Scott, it is intriguing and seeing it in person, you can see how it falls differently than the capes done in the past. and when it is opened, it created a more accordion look just like the photos.

Batfanman, this method is easier in terms of yardage of fabric, requiring less than 3, but the method is less forgiving, you need the pinch two layers tightly and stitches need to stay straight and steady!

Ill post some more pics of the collar/etc tomorrow when I'm at my studio

You can see it has a much nicer drape on the form.

the costume color is a bit off in this pic because of my studio lighting, but you get the idea!

img host
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Well, it certainly makes sense according to how deep the seams are on the inside of the cape, as seen in PR stills. Haven't gotten a chance to dig out the bluray yet to try to catch a back view of the cape - it is not readily visible in any good sized PR pix I've found. But THIS pic pretty much seems to confirm it - look at the point of the tip in her hand.
bgcapepointcloseup.jpg
bgcapepointcloseup.jpg (175.99 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
Very interesting! I think you've nailed it!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Catgreg

Post by Catgreg »

exactly Rick!

That pic shows it exactly.

Its something I always have suspected, and now finally it all seems (seams) to make sense.
Especially from the costume department end of things.

:-)
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Must be hard to sew in the collar. The screen used cape does not appear to have a front opening - surely there must be a split in the center back of the cape to allow for an opening in the center back of the collar?

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Catgreg

Post by Catgreg »

here are those pics.

this is an old cape (not done in the pin tuck method) but the collar is attached the same!

free photo hosting

image host

image hosting no sign up

upload gifs
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

That solves that mystery! Always wondered how the collar integrated. Thanks, Greg.
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Ah, I see. Always assumed the collar was fixed and there was a split in the center back of the cape so the whole thing slipped over the head then fastened. So there wouldn't be the bulk of facing and snaps, etc, at the front of the collar. But this makes total sense.

Thanks for sharing!

RRR
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

the yellow looks the same as robins cape